Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Solution to all Piracy

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
How To Pickup Women in Internet Fora

posted by Donovan at 11:03 AM

The latest and greatest from Lance Mason

Here's how I get my forum on.

Internet is a super-normal situation. Act super-normal. Forget the crazy stuff. Just be friendly, flirty, and the show you have some manners.

And keep this in mind... the internet is full of single girls on weeknights after work. Single girls who are waiting to meet someone charming, confident, and yes, NORMAL.

Now's your time to shine.

Follow these steps, and make sure you put "hottie" on your stalking list this week.

1. Post in complete sentences. It makes a difference. Even if you're just there to
practice flirting, make it look to everyone, especially yourself, that you fit in.

2. Look at post history. If you see a female avatar, or someone who posts their picture online, look through her posts to see if you share common interests.

3. Be observant. Look at her tits. It always helps to be aware of the situation.

4. Make a comment on anything appropriate to the situation.

You don't need your opener to be clever. Just appropriate. The trick is to get her
attention, and then start having fun.

5. Here's how it works when you add some banter to your spam.

"Wow, you got a great smile."

"Yes, well..."

Now turn on the big smilie.

"Perfect. I'll be over for dinner at 7:30...
no, 8. And I'll bring the wine this time...
you just cook that special thing you made
for us last week."

Now is when she adds you to her ignore list. Keep playing with it. Talk about how you'd love to meet with her on IRC/AIM/Skype. Laugh and smile and enjoy it. If you have fun, she'll have fun.

Once she's having fun, the next step is easy.

Just introduce yourself. Then talk to the girl. Have a conversation, and see if there's something there.

Tested and approved.

Now, because I'm in a good mood, I'm going to give you one more super-bonus line to use.

"My buddy is having a girl over for dinner.
What should he make?"

"Well, girls always like a mouthful of semen..."

"Actually, I didn't need to know that.
I just made that up so I could flirt with you. Did you not get that? Here,
let me try again.

How you doin'?" :cool:

Now I want to see some replies with your ideas as well. Let's make the supermarket the new disco.

Yeah baby!

Tell me your best lines. Get out there and start having fun, and let us know what's working best for you.

Lance

dagorkan

Arbiter
ghostdog said:
The Attraction Chronicles said:
Learn To Approach Women Without Fear - Give Women Orgasms Easier - Master The Vibe of Conversations With Hidden Mic

How To Pickup Women in Supermarkets

posted by Donovan at 11:03 AM

The latest and greatest from Lance Mason
Comedy gold

Hi, I have never defecated. How about you?

Also, Bloodlines had a good one if you play a Nosferatu. It was something like "What's on the inside is what matters. Me, I'm full of yellowish-brown liquid."

pkt-zer0

Scholar
BearBomber said:
Ultimate Solution to Piracy:

Face Breaking Neck Twisting Punch!
ATATATATATATATATATATATA!!

Uncrackable DRM scheme: no DRM whatsoever.
Unpiratable game: full version released for free.

Hey, it might just work.

eth

Novice
Your logic fails:
I pirate games that i can't find easily on the market. Most games i play are allready 2 years old or more, so when i go to some store here asking for that game the best bet i could get is to order it and get it in like 3-4 days. That's fine for me. But if they tell me they 'll bring it in like 7 days or more, or they won't bring it at all, i go pirate it. Cause simply i want to play the game. And i 've never used any online buying system for anything. Not using credit cards either.
Its not the money for me. In fact sometimes i feel a bit cheap when paying for some good 2+ years old game for lower price than the original. I mean i wouldn't mind if i even payed double for it. What's the reason they lower the price on older games really?
My opinion is that different people, pirate for different reasons. What you suggest ain't bad, but it wouldn't stop me personally from pirating when most 2+ years old games are out of the stores and you get to wait 1+ week for it.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Economics of Free

There actually is a solution to piracy:

1)Continue to try and fight the ability of people to obtain games for free. I'm not a technology expert, but I can't find anyone predicting an end to the war, but a lot of people looking at the past and seeing a failure of DRM and every other attempt as backfiring against the companies that try them.
The non-technological solution. There are current ongoing legal battles which may make it difficult for places like www.isohunt.com to continue to operate, but then it's only a week before everyone who used such a search engine learns to type "filetype:torrent" into google. Naturally most old fashioned businessmen are willing to continue this battle to the ends of the Earth on principle but also perhaps because they think that inconvienience, like China's strategy with it's "Great Firewall," will be enough of a barrier to stop most people.

2)If this fails to achieve the desired results, because it's technologically and legally unattainable without hurting too many genuine customers then the next solution is to admit the true marginal cost of software games = $0. Use free to sell scarce goods like Trent Reznor does. Offer manuals, posters, tin containers or whatever the fuck true fans want. Offer access to developer time on forums. Offer access to modding tools or the ability to use mods (in Bethesda's case this would definetely decrease their gross). I'm no guru who can see what'd ultimately be the best business model for making money off of free games. But it is clear to me that a new model is needed, because if companies don't want to embrace the economics of free,

3)Someone else will beat them to the market first. Maybe when Age of Decadence makes news for making huge profits by collector edition packs, patronage, and focusing on it's 1000 true fans, the rest of the industry will have to take notice of what's going on under their very noses.

P.S. Click the scarce goods link, it's the most thoughtful and cogent.

P.S.S. I know Vince doesn't have any overarching plans for "embracing free," but whether he knows it or not he's already implementing a lot of the strategies the industry will have to in the future if they can't legislate pirates away.

BearBomber

Scholar
AzraelCC said:
The real solution to stop piracy:

MAKE GOOD GAMES

I prefer ,,The Sims" tacti: make games for people who don't know how to pirate game.

BTW: I wantet to burrow Mass Effect from a friend when he'll buy it to chcek if it'll run on my PC, but now I am unable to do so. Guess I'll play Puzzle Quest instead.

aron searle

Arcane
How to combat piracy.

Delibratly leak you're game out to file share sites, and include a virus that blows up peoples computer with it, or if thats not possible, one that keeps setting a pedo site as you're homepage.

MetalCraze

Arcane
aron searle said:
How to combat piracy.

Delibratly leak you're game out to file share sites, and include a virus that blows up peoples computer with it, or if thats not possible, one that keeps setting a pedo site as you're homepage.

that Pool Of Radiance series game already has something like that. only it kills your hdd.

trojan pony

Novice
AzraelCC said:
The real solution to stop piracy:

MAKE GOOD GAMES
That and to listen and engage with your customers.
For a lot of games my only interaction with the developer is the purchase of the game which is, esssentially, an endorsement of the product. Taken by both the devs and publishers as me saying "I like this, more of the same please" since they tend to think only in sales figures. Until Oblivion i think i'd pirated about 1 or 2 games (basically abandonware) since OB i've pirated almost every one before making the purchasing decision. Galactic Civs, The Witcher, Sins of a Solar Empire and Audiosurf are the only ones that warranted an automatic purchase. Why? Because the Devs are active in their communities, open and enthusiastic about their games. Not only does this humanise them and make people less likely to steal (piracy as theft debate aside) their product it lets people feel their problems and complaints are being listened to. They treat people who play their game as an asset not a burden. If Betheda's FU attitude to their players is the best argument for piracy maybe the opposite is the solution.

Oh and scrap cross platform development or at least make a proper PC version. If I feel like the PC version is a money maximising after thought then my wallet stays in my pocket. That means having mouse navigable menus, no mouse acceleration and for fucks sake the choice of more than three resolutions.

spacemoose

Erudite
welcome to the codex trojan pony. I like ponies too, sometimes I go ride ponies with my friends on the beach here in the bay area. where do you live

Hory

Erudite
Solution to piracy: make the game run like in multiplayer-mode, even if there's a single player. The official server would be necessary to constantly interpret the player's actions and transmit back the consequences. Pirates would have a hard time rescripting the entire game.

Dmitron

Arbiter
The path to good games\no piracy:

Execute all current game developers\publishers. After a few years, people who are passionate enough that they're prepared to work for peanuts without big money backing will create interesting new games. Gaming renaissance.

Herbert West

Arbiter
This is mah solution!!1

ninja.jpg

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
aron searle said:
How to combat piracy.

Valve did that with HL2 except you got banned from Steam.

Hory

Erudite
Then it didn't do that at all. Damage to internal components is the whole idea.

BearBomber

Scholar
So mayby sending pirate's ip to some Anti Pirate Database would do the trick? It would attack not only pirate's computer but the pirate himself.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"There is a stealth encryption chip called a TPM that is going on the motherboards of most of the computers that are coming out now," he pointed out.

"What that says is that in the games business we will be able to encrypt with an absolutely verifiable private key in the encryption world - which is uncrackable by people on the internet and by giving away passwords - which will allow for a huge market to develop in some of the areas where piracy has been a real problem."

"Games are a different thing, because games are so integrated with the code. The TPM will, in fact, absolutely stop piracy of gameplay.

Linky

BearBomber

Scholar
WTF? So now I'll have to upgrade my PC to play any new game because of some security chip? It's probably some new hardware producer's evil plot to sell some shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom