Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sims: Medieval

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The little simulation-girl inside me is giggling with anticipation. :oops:
http://www.thesimsmedieval.com/

The Sims Medieval offers players a chance to build up a medieval kingdom, controlling characters from all walks of life, from Kings and Queens, to Knights and Wizards, Blacksmiths and Bards. It provides a host of storytelling possibilities in the form of quests, from crafting a legendary sword to arranging a royal wedding, to protecting the kingdom from an evil sorcerer, to finding the fountain of youth. Every quest plays out differently depending on which Hero Sim the player is controlling.

The destiny of the kingdom rests in the players’ hands. Will players build up their kingdom through internal expansion, or perhaps look for a more imperial type of domination, expanding their rule by conquering territories? Will they take on quests in pursuit of fame, or focus on the health and wellbeing of their people? The choice is theirs! With the start of every new game, players will be able to select a new ambition for their kingdom, and embark on a new set of stories.

Everything in The Sims Medieval is crafted to create an immersive medieval world, from the quest-based gameplay, to the medieval objects such as swords and stocks and thrones, right down to the warm look of the characters, and the painterly approach to the world itself. Players can choose to customize every new Hero that comes to the kingdom, including selecting their traits and their fatal flaw. Players get close to their characters, not only sending them on epic quests, but also making sure they carry out their daily responsibilities such as healing the sick, trading for exotic goods, or forging armor. From having a baby to competing in a royal tournament, what happens to their Sims is up to the player. The time of romance and chivalry is back with The Sims Medieval.

screenshot01.jpg

screenshot02.jpg

screenshot03.jpg

High customization! Build your own castle! Quests! Romance and weddings! Choices! Trading!

Morkar Left

I´m not to familiar with The Sims but that sounds interesting. I´m a bit worried about the tons of addons the sims - franchise created and hope the game will not just a barebone for addons...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
My interest would be piqued but I have a feeling it'll be as clean and shiny as any other Sims game, and that doesn't really work for a medieval setting.

Sounds awesome. I'm excited for the game. It's got some stuff that I like about Crusader Kings like dynasties. And with probably less bugs.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm holding out for more details on torture chambers before I'll decide wether or not to give it a shot. Screenshots of plague victims would help too.

Phelot

Arcane
The Sims 3 is the only Western game I can think of that lets you wander around and impregnate random women that you met just a few hours ago.

Plus I like ye olde dumb fuckeryoo so I'll check this out.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't release more expansion packs for it. I believe they just released one for Sims 3

Drakron

Arcane
Its more like the "Life Stories" of TS2, its going to be crappy and only good to pillage it for TS3 use if possible.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
MetalCraze said:
Ever heard of The Guild?
Yes, one of my favorite games ever.

However all the sequels were trash.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The problem with the Sims is that it is only interesting for a few hours then your realize how pointless and monotonous it becomes. Sims 3 is even worse as they took the whole inherited traits from successive generations so a kid's personality is totally independent from the parents and the player can pick them as he sees fit. Although this sounds mildly promising I'm sure the quests will be simplistic and mundane making it a prettier and dumbed down version of The Guild or Majesty.

Drakron

Arcane
Simulations are " pointless and monotonous".

I rather it be a simulation that another "game", its attempting to please casuals like YOU that Silent Hunter V became a pile of crap.

Multi-headed Cow

Game sounds kind of cool but I don't doubt it will be disappointing. None the less I'll check it out.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zed said:
MetalCraze said:
Ever heard of The Guild?

You mean addons to the 2nd?

Also The Guild 2 was ok (and had all those "innovations" long before this medieval sims crap - can't believe the decline in this thread). I kinda enjoyed having my character(s) being in-game. Of course The Guild is better at offering more professions and features.

But still - making my own thief gang in Guild 2, killing all the competition in the form of other dynasties and usual people (even police couldn't stop me), while aggressively pushing for governmental positions to cover up my crimes (robbing, kidnapping members of rich families to demand ransom), putting all my family into major ruling sits allowing me to control courts and police, then deciding that keeping sheeple in fear is not enough - I need to control them - so I went on to kill the owners of the churches in the city, buying churches off and starting to rip off all those religious retards bringing me their precious moneys, while spreading propaganda against the competition - it was so awesome. People hated my character and even tried to kill him, but all attempts were thwarted - but I wasn't just killing them... no... I was sending them into the jail to rot and tortured them there. Former rich guys were becoming poor drunkards ending their life in some shitty district in mud.

Fap.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Drakron said:
Simulations are " pointless and monotonous".

I rather it be a simulation that another "game", its attempting to please casuals like YOU that Silent Hunter V became a pile of crap.

They can be interesting when challenges are thrown in the mix in terms of random events or strategy elements -- the Sims never really had anything like that... at least to the extent it poses much of a challenge. It's mostly just a fishbowl unlike, well, Sim City for example. As far as the 'Casuals like me' slap, I'm not sure where you get that based on my brief analysis of a game like The Sims -- hardly a hardcore game by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, and there's actually a purpose to the Silent Hunter games in going after other submarines. You don't just sit there and tool around the ocean. Unless they changed it as the last time I played was the original over a decade ago. If you're going to make an attempt at a pseudo witty dismissive remark try not to make such poor analogies and at least let it be logically consistent.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
MetalCraze said:
Zed said:
MetalCraze said:
Ever heard of The Guild?

Also The Guild 2 was ok (and had all those "innovations" long before this medieval sims crap - can't believe the decline in this thread). I kinda enjoyed having my character(s) being in-game. Of course The Guild is better at offering more professions and features.

But still - making my own thief gang in Guild 2, killing all the competition in the form of other dynasties and usual people (even police couldn't stop me), while aggressively pushing for governmental positions to cover up my crimes (robbing, kidnapping members of rich families to demand ransom), putting all my family into major ruling sits allowing me to control courts and police, then deciding that keeping sheeple in fear is not enough - I need to control them - so I went on to kill the owners of the churches in the city, buying churches off and starting to rip off all those religious retards bringing me their precious moneys, while spreading propaganda against the competition - it was so awesome. People hated my character and even tried to kill him, but all attempts were thwarted - but I wasn't just killing them... no... I was sending them into the jail to rot and tortured them there. Former rich guys were becoming poor drunkards ending their life in some shitty district in mud.

Fap.
Your cool story makes me want to try it again, even though I despised it. Hmmm.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Damn now I wish I bought it during the last Steam sale.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zed said:
MetalCraze said:
Zed said:
MetalCraze said:
Ever heard of The Guild?

Fap.

It's a fun game. It has annoying shiny next-gen graphic and dumb dialogues but except that it's a cool game (and dialogues in this game aren't that important). I bought The Guild 2 with expansion (Pirates of the Old World or something) and I can say it was worth it's money. There is new expansion that I might buy too... but I run out of money for now, so no new games for me for a while :| Starting as a peasant and getting better and better feels good and you can decide whether you're an asshole like Skyway is or lawful citizen.

MetalCraze

Arcane
asshole like Skyway
Hey man. The city under the control of my crime family was the most propering city in the empire, while neighbouring towns were mediocre - my city had an advanced bureaucracy machine, the most developed business, the biggest population, produced the most goods. Through bloodshed came a greater good.

It's just another proof that sheeple must be aggressively controlled in the right way for the country to prosper.

There is new expansion that I might buy too...
It's done by modders and it's terrible. They added a few nice features (like 1 turn = 1 year if you don't like the rush of the vanilla - but at the same time new professions have only 1 or 2 abilities and you can't even enter many of the new houses (that are also made by mixing parts from the vanilla). New maps also suck balls.
Only Guild 2 and official developers' expansion Pirates are worth the time.

Also Guild games have multiplayer. That's right - you can have several allied or competitive dinasties and play in this sandbox together. The downside is that after some 100 years of the game time traffic goes in gigabytes per hour and there's lots of desync because the growth of the world is not limited.

Care to elaborate why?
Both Guilds are good for me in their own way - more professions + more "magic" stuff in Guild1, the ability to have your characters in game that can perform various functions, have stats and you can better see how world reacts to them - in Guild2.
The perfect Sims-done-right for me would be both of these mixed together.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Because what you described was the kind of experience I had in the original but couldn't replicate in the sequel. Also I read that patch 1.30 fixes a lot of stuff with the game. When I played it, it had just been released.

Terrible expansion made by modders = Renaissance?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zed said:
Because what you described was the kind of experience I had in the original but couldn't replicate in the sequel.
I've described bits of my first playthrough of G2, which I still continue once in a while (currently it stopped at my dynasty trying to take over the neighbouring city - which is pretty hard because after what I did neighbouring populations hate me by default). It really came just as naturally as with G1.

Terrible expansion made by modders = Renaissance?
That's right.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I tried the demo a long time ago and thought it was p. cool. Wanted to give it a try recently but I never made the "effort" to pick it up. But skyway makes it look so cool...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom