Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Mortmal

Arcane
I just preordered it too. While the combat is too slow and bland for my tastes, the story and quest design makes up for it. Different setting, something new and bold , i must support them . I wish we had the same combat mechainsm like in APB for exemple, with so few tactical options, you may as well go full action and shooter.
Its likely i will play one month, finish the story and wont susbscribe, like a solo rpg, wich doesnt seems too far from the truth.

skyst

Augur
The setting, story, most of the writing and voice acting is some of the best I have seen in an MMO, or even among recent RPGs. I actually found myself compelled to progress the story to see where it goes.

The first instanced dungeon was solid. There were 5 bosses and about as many trash pulls, which seemed to be used more to impart the setting than to challenge and extend the clear time. The bosses themselves were standard fare of tank, heal, avoid puddles of shit, avoid boss cleaves, etc. Loot was useful and varried. And although I am enjoying the references, Funcom owes the H.P. Lovecraft estate a royalty check for the final boss.

I spent some time in the persistent battleground and had some fun. It was entirely Templar controlled when I began with 2 other bros. The objective was to control a series of compounds in some Asian city. Each compound is protected by a turret and a big robot, roughly equivalent to an instance boss and a raid boss in terms of difficulty, respectively. It was fun organizing the Illuminati through the (then) unused faction chat channel to smash our Templar overlords and eventually control the entire map. Controlling the PVP zones confers substantial buffs to your faction as well.

The character building system is interesting and facilitates a near endless amount of possibilities, though I assume "ultimate mandatory" builds will soon surface. The system has you pick 2 weapons from a pool of 9 (3 melee, 3 casting, 3 guns) and build a "deck" of 14 (numbers could be off) skills, 7 active and 7 passive. This is great for the veteran MMOer or the nonretarded, but I have been seeing a lot of people with entirely worthless character builds, completely lost. There are a dozen or so premade decks you can follow, but most rely on expensive, end game abilities. It's not uncommon to get into a dungeon with a healer with no viable healing skills because his deck hasn't really provided them yet, which can be frustrating and jarring to the inexperienced.

I have the game preordered and recommend it to my prestigious MMO peers. At least for the free month.

Angthoron

Arcane
Does it still all boil down to loot loot grindy grind?
Mechanically it's still very much EverQuest/WoW-like. While I enjoyed the quests and the story/writing, standing and firing at 5 zombies gently scratching my dude as he built up combo points made me groan.

skyst

Augur

Yes. You work through a zone's quests to collect gear for the zone's instanced dungeon. You farm the dungeon for gear to take into the next zone. Repeat.

Not much else going on lately, though... I am eagerly anticipating a month of it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Yes. You work through a zone's quests to collect gear for the zone's instanced dungeon. You farm the dungeon for gear to take into the next zone. Repeat.

Not much else going on lately, though... I am eagerly anticipating a month of it.

Ugh. While I have to say I get a HUGE BONER over the setting, if it is all do instances, get PHAT LEWT And not much else... I'll pass.

Does no MMO designer ever look at or ever played UO? Or Asheron's Call for that matter. :sad smiley face:

BishopB

Novice
Does no MMO designer ever look at or ever played UO? Or Asheron's Call for that matter. :sad smiley face:
I don't think anyone dares to make a game that puts the players in so much risk as they did in UO. The great days of the wild west where you could be completely looted and even got stats penalty for dying seem to have gone for ever. Although I don't particularly like to get severely penalized for dying that is still the strongest way to make me actually afraid in-game. Being afraid while exploring a new area is a completely different experience - one that I have not had in many years. (Except in Amnesia, but that is a whole different type of game)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm in motherfuckers, and the game rocks even more than in the beta.

:yeah:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Missed the part where you get only a few investigation missions (which are all pretty good, yeah) and then have to grind through boring combat missions after combat missions for the rest of the area. I would seriously play if the game had a lot less combat and a lot more puzzles. The quality is there for the investigation missions... just not so for the combat. I suppose coming from almost any other MMO the combat is passable, but after playing GW2 (or maybe even considering GW1) the combat in SW is just BSB in action. The skill customization seems to have potential but the actual fighting is mind-numbingly repetitive once you easily figure out what rotation to use (which you've already figured out probably when building your skill deck).

MasterMire

Novice
Indicative experience for combat a bit later. You have a forest full of monsters of differing difficulty. Some are the easy "mob" types that area of effect abilities can handle nicely. Some are of the difficult type that'll run you over, debuff you, make life miserable, etc, and have to be taken one on one. There are also eggs everywhere - if you spam area of effect abilities, you'll end up releasing a bunch of slightly weaker difficult monsters and will usually get mobbed to death. So you figure it out - lure away adult monsters from eggs, be patient, take critters on one at a time as needed.

I have no problem with this. It keeps you on your toes, throws some curveballs, discourages you from playing thoughtlessly. The trouble is that once you have the hang of a certain technique, a given mission often makes you do it over and over again and it can be very, very tedious. I'm on a mission right now where I'm using the above technique to weed monsters away from a totem. Once they're weeded, I have to fight a big monster. If I fail the fight with the big monster, I have to weed the monsters again. And should I succeed, I have to go - weed more monsters around another totem and it all begins again. Now, not all of the missions are like this and I'm enjoying even the combat stuff much more than I enjoyed TOR's combat. But there's definitely a fair share of quests that are eyerollingly grindy. There's just also enough quests/activities that are nice or at least non-aggravating to keep me engaged. But man, if everything were investigation, or even just investigation + sabotage quests . . .

Nael

Arcane
I am totally digging this game. I haven't been this adequately challenged in an intellectual way by any type of game for a long time.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Jo, I also bought it and because I'm such a Jew, I accidently also clicked on that Grand Master Pack. This game is going to keep me busy for a very long time.

But I still have to finish Diablo 3 first before I give TSW the attention it deservers...

Castanova

Prophet
Ragnar promises new content every month for free:

You realize you're paying them a monthly subscription, right? On top of a $60 fee just for the box?

Anyway, never trust people who say they love a new MMO. All half-way competent MMO's are fun when they first come out. Let's see what you all think in 4-6 weeks.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ragnar promises new content every month for free:

You realize you're paying them a monthly subscription, right? On top of a $60 fee just for the box?

Anyway, never trust people who say they love a new MMO. All half-way competent MMO's are fun when they first come out. Let's see what you all think in 4-6 weeks.
Of course I'm paying them subscription. But some other MMOs ask additonal money for the new content (DLC). Anyway, I'm loving the game now, and I now that I will love it many month later. I'm sure about that.

Castanova

Prophet
Of course I'm paying them subscription. But some other MMOs ask additonal money for the new content (DLC). Anyway, I'm loving the game now, and I now that I will love it many month later. I'm sure about that.

Hah, I'm not trying to argue with you or anything but you do realize you're suffering from New-MMO-Induced Delirium right now, right?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course I'm paying them subscription. But some other MMOs ask additonal money for the new content (DLC)

You mean those games you download for free and pay no subscription fee, yeah totally the same thing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
No, I mean the MMOs that I have to buy, pay a subscripton fee and pay for the DLC.

Angthoron

Arcane
No, I mean the MMOs that I have to buy, pay a subscripton fee and pay for the DLC.
Er. Which ones are these?

FYI: TSW charges for additional character slots beyond 3 as well as various other "cosmetic" business.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom