Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Played a little, kind of regreted even downloading it. Very weak, puzzles don't make up to what they promised, combat is dull and that game engine is hoprrible, the game feels wrong, especially jumping and running while in combat....

It seems I just got tired of MMOs, only TERA was interesting recently, the combat being REALLY good, but the whole rest was so bland and korean that I coudn't keep playing.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
that was the most underwhelming without being outright shitty game i've ever played.

Game has potential, but no way I'm buying it day 1. The dumbing down has already begun, and I would imagine that the temptation to dumb it down even more is there. Going to need to see what they do after launch (inevitably a F2P option) before I spend a dime on this thing.

MasterMire

Novice
Haha, well. As I do not currently have a (new) game in my life that requires me to be pretty darn familiar with an environment before I can finish sets of quests, nor has giant speeches about hallucinatory drugs + history, I'm going to keep messing with the Secret World. I don't have a protective coating of cynicism against games that hit my sense of exploratory curiosity. I might be a richer person if I did.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I found one investigative quest. THe one that starts with following the Illuminati symbols. Unfortunately I couldn't find any more.

Actually the other quests aren't terrible; the thing is that the gameplay itself is very mediocre. Spam button X to build weapon resource, press button Y to do powerful attack that consumes resources. Meh. I'd probably be more willing to play if the game was combat-less.

Edit: And also I partially expect the "Tortage" effect to occur. I mean outside of the combat mechanics, the rest of the game engine plays just like Age of Conan. And with all the voiced cutscenes and dialogue... I expect more bad management. Oh well.

It's not a terrible game... But GW2 really moved the bar up on MMOs in many aspects but especially in having "different" and interesting gameplay, AND doesn't require a monthly fee.

Repressed Homosexual
The thing that disappoints me the most is that there is so much stupid, unbelievable stuff right from the get go, instead of gradually easing the player into the supernatural nature of the world, like say Bloodlines did. Mr. Tornquist was never one who valued subtlety. Also I hope the game allows you some freedom to explore and take quests as you desire, and that scripted missions are kept to a minimum. The opening one was a pain. I don't want to play Call of Duty.

Still, in the future, it could be something that's interesting to play, at least mildly.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The thing that disappoints me the most is that there is so much stupid, unbelievable stuff right from the get go, instead of gradually easing the player into the supernatural nature of the world.
Yes, and the writting is horrible....that first cutscene, with the woman saying "we are templars and rule the world and people have powers and we control goverments" was horrible...as was the "we are not a Dan Brown secret society" bit...

The game was supposed to be about secrets, mysteries and puzzles; but the writting is horrible, the quests are dull and they throw you from the start on the unbelivable stuff. Put that together with horribad combat and controls, monthly subscriptions and you have a great failure....

pocahaunted

Arcane
I found one investigative quest. THe one that starts with following the Illuminati symbols. Unfortunately I couldn't find any more.

Actually the other quests aren't terrible; the thing is that the gameplay itself is very mediocre. Spam button X to build weapon resource, press button Y to do powerful attack that consumes resources. Meh. I'd probably be more willing to play if the game was combat-less.

Edit: And also I partially expect the "Tortage" effect to occur. I mean outside of the combat mechanics, the rest of the game engine plays just like Age of Conan. And with all the voiced cutscenes and dialogue... I expect more bad management. Oh well.

It's not a terrible game... But GW2 really moved the bar up on MMOs in many aspects but especially in having "different" and interesting gameplay, AND doesn't require a monthly fee.

Indeed. As someone said, it's "Tortage 2012".

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I think the game is gonna flop pretty hard. The PC online gaming market is gonna be highly saturated with GW2, MoP and D3 alone.
And what you guys say regarding writing and quest design... sounds like the publishers are gonna have to pay extra high bribes for those 90%+ reviews.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
But does it have ontological terrorism?

it sounds like this isn't going to be the pete milligan mmo we wanted

you know, with a part where your character screen becomes sentient and becomes your party member, but it can only fight 2D statistic encroachments in Wild AbstractoSpace and you heal it with an half-incan dead alien programmer's codestick that also has the hidden side effect of making it pregnant after X uses (the screen, not the codestick)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
But does it have ontological terrorism?

it sounds like this isn't going to be the pete milligan mmo we wanted

you know, with a part where your character screen becomes sentient and becomes your party member, but it can only fight 2D statistic encroachments in Wild AbstractoSpace and you heal it with an half-incan dead alien programmer's codestick that also has the hidden side effect of making it pregnant after X uses (the screen, not the codestick)
Shame. Probably means no scorpion loa either.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When they decided to charge for the game. have monthly/life time subscription and cash shop it looked like they dont have much faith in the game and hope to earn as much possible money before it dies.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When they decided to charge for the game. have monthly/life time subscription and cash shop it looked like they dont have much faith in the game and hope to earn as much possible money before
it dies.
They have been developing the game for 6 years. They took their time, they had quite a huge marketing campaign. I don't understand why some people think that the devs don't have faith in their product. Because they use a subscription modell? Every major MMO apart from GW2 is run by a subscription modell. Some MMO-s change to F2P after a time, but subscription modell is still the primary modell from MMOs. The game looks promising so far. It is not a WoW killer, but it never meant to be. Funcom learnt from Age of Connan, there won't be a problem with the content. I think they will have medium sized userbase, which will make the game profitable.

skyst

Augur
The "Investigation" class missions are all that there is really to see here, however they were wonderfully entertaining.

Spoilers...
One particularly challenging investigation dumps you off in the City Hall building with a painting and an obscure note referencing (and I'm dumbing this down) the 'hands of time' and 'words of God written by kings' or something. A friend of mine noticed a clock on a nearby wall stuck at 10:10 (hands of time derp), I immediately thought of a biblical reference and Googled 'bible kings 10:10' with the game's browser and got a passage about Solomon receiving 120 score of spices or something from a queen. The Solomon reference leads you to a nearby house, where you find a keypad to open the cellar door, the 120 from the bible is the pass code, which, afaik, is not ever revealed in game.

The concept of having to look online, outside of the game (presumably on your character's smartphone or something) is an interesting concept. They even made a website for Kingsmouth, the town that the beta takes place in (http://www.kingsmouth.com/) which contains potential hints. If these investigation missions were not mixed in with the bad combat, other players named 'OMGLEETDPS' bunny hopping around and occasional 'collect monster parts' quests, the game could be amazing.

As is, the game is a mediocre MMO which I have been enjoying for non-MMO related reasons. Also, a must play if you enjoy weird fiction/horror/Lovecraftian shit.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'd buy this game if it only had investigation missions. Had to do some combat mission to unlock an investigation mission. Not to mention around aggroing enemies when investigating. Stealth mechanics please? Bah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom