Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The RPG Codex Lists Their Top 10 Favorite JRPGs!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Hobo Elf said:
Balio and Sunder were both the two biggest bag of dicks ever.

I got stuck on their fused form
negativeman.gif

Took me a good few tries before I beat them. I usually died becaused they'd spam their ultraman beam attack and it'd do too much damage for me to heal through it. Then they'd do it 2-3 times in a row and I'd be dead. Piece. of. shit.

GMonkey

Scholar
Oh, look, a thread worth posting on.

1. Ogre Battle (where grinding is evil)
2. Vagrant Story
3. Tales of Phantasia
4. Seiken Densetsu 3
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Final Fantasy VI
7. Last Remnant
8. Tactics Ogre: Queen Lyric
9. Xenogears
10. Final Fantasy VIII

Dele

Liturgist
1. dynasty warior 4
2. dynasty warior 5
3. wariors orochis
4. devil may cry
5.beyonetta
6.samurai wariors 1
7. samuraio wariors 2

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
GMonkey said:
7. Last Remnant

Yeah, glad someone mentioned it, I liked the battle system in that game, experimenting with different formations (or were they called squads? I don't remember), formation leaders, etc. I know many complained about it, but screw them. Not that it was particularly deep, but it was fun. The characters and story on the other hand...
:retarded:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I'm going to have a good time compiling all posts into a list. Actually there might even be more than one list. Maybe three lists. And another list to keep them in.

edit: I've posted my picks.

Repressed Homosexual
10-Grandia
9-Skies of Arcadia
8-Persona 4
7-Dragon Quest III
6-SMT
5-Dragon Quest VIII
4-Chrono Trigger
3-Demon's Souls
2-SMT Nocturne
1-Tactics Ogre

Dele

Liturgist
laclongquan said:
Read the fucking guideline, mang.

On the other hand, you list a whole group of hack and slash action game, hardly a jRPG in the group, so it's no great loss.

thats due to all jrpgs being shit so i had to list the only decent games that were made in japan :x

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Chrono Trigger.
FF X.
FF XII.
Persona 3 FES.
Xenosaga III.
Star Ocean 2.
Lufia II.
Nocturne.
Tales of Eternia.
Persona 4.

Of course if tactical games would be permitted then:

Eternal poison.
Soul nomad and world eaters.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. SaGa Frontier
3. Anachronox
4. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
5. Tactics Ogre - LET US CLING TOGETHER!!!
6. Vagrant Story
7. Xenogears
8. Suikoden 2
9. Steambot Chronicles!
10. Quake

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
OK, I'll try.

1. Xenogears
2. FF7
3. Chrono Trigger

Umm...

4. FF12
5. Xenosaga 3
6. Xenosaga 2
7. FF10
8. Xenosaga 1

Honestly those are the only ones I've played that I've liked more than disliked. And I doubt I'll be playing any more, ever again.

@Jaesun: You should really play Xenogears.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm surprised no one else has already done this, so I guess I'll have to do it myself:

1. Quake II
2. Quake III arena
3. Quake
4. Quake 4
5. Enemy territory: quake wars

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to play Xenogears, but I have difficulty trying new JRPGs ever since I grew out of my weaboo phase.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
1. Lost Odyssey

This game has some of the best writing I have ever seen in a videogame. The main plot isn't all that interesting, but there were these short stories that managed to even bring a tear to my eye.

2. Disgaea series

Grinding taken to another level. Doesn't take itself too seriously and there's a lot to do.

3. Utawarerumono

This counts, doesn't it? I like tits.

4. Sengoku Rance

I really do like tits. Especially delicious flat chest.

5. Anachronox

Hot shit.

6. Uh... Final Fantasy VI?

Hot game from my childhood. Cool characters and a lot better than any other game in the series.

7. Secret of Mana

This too, NES was the bomb, nigga.

Edit: typos, I'm drunk

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ITT there's a LOT of jrpgs I haven't played. That means I've got many games to look forward to playing. Good.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
mariog said:
I'll post some I'm sure most people have never heard about - actually most of these are more akin to western RPGs rather than FF-like uberlinear shit due to their nonlinearity and freedom of choice - those labelled (J) are jap only:

* (J) Weltorv Estleia - it'd be better if I understood what the fuck is written on the screen. Anyway, you can buy houses, complete quests in multiple ways, become a pirate lord and a shitload of other things.

* (J) Lunatic Dawn II - you create a character, then you're dropped into the world with no directions whatsoever and you can do whatever the hell you want - get married, buy a house and hire more people, start destroying monsters in one area so the towns there will flourish and so on

* (J) Moon Remix RPG Adventure - this one can't be explained, it has to be played to be believed

* (J - script translated) Growlanser - it's got more choices and consequences in the first twenty minutes than most RPGs in the whole game (ok maybe I'm exaggerating, but still I was truly impressed by the amount of choices and nonlinearity). 2 is very good as well but not as much as the first one, 3 is decent and 4 onwards they're shit.

* Star Ocean 2 - well this is more widely known. I like it because it's open ended

* (J) Taikou Risshiden V - the true game in which every choice has a consequence.

* (J - translation in progress) Chaos Seed - Dungeon Keeper-like with quests and multiple ways to complete each one. Arguably one of the best SNES games which unfortunately didn't get a translation.

* (J) Traverse: Stairlight and Prairie - an open ended SNES rpg, you gotta love that

* Terranigma - again, this came out in the US so it's more widely known.

* Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song (actually, the whole RS series is great, but I had to choose one so...) - best PS2 game I've ever played

BONUS: (J) Oriental Blue - read this and keep waiting for the translation. Hey it's gonna come out eventually.

If you added Over my dead body, and Tail for the sun, your attempt to make a list of the most obscure games made in Japan would be even more complete. (Too bad Chaos Head isn't RPG, it would look great on that list.)

Black Cat

Magister
Raghar said:
Chaos Head

:love:

ChäoS;HEAd is bloody awesome. ChäoS;HEAd Noah is not only bloody awesome but also incredibly, uhm, incredible and ridiculously cool. And you are my new best friend in Codexia, since you are cool too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom