Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The RPG Codex Lists Their Top 10 Favorite JRPGs!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy V
4. Final Fantasy IV
5. Secret of Mana

6. Sengoku Rance :smug:

Black Cat said:
I can't believe you fuckers used to call me a Weaboo when I do not know, nor have ever heard about, more than half the games you mention on your lists.

:x

Screw you, people. Really.

I could get nasty and try to remember some obscure Saturn / Dreamcast shit, count yourself lucky I barely touched these and went with the usual SNES / Genesis stuff. Also, minor edit on my list.

chzr

Erudite
1. jagged alliance 2

edit fix'd

mariog

Educated
I'll post some I'm sure most people have never heard about - actually most of these are more akin to western RPGs rather than FF-like uberlinear shit due to their nonlinearity and freedom of choice - those labelled (J) are jap only:

* (J) Weltorv Estleia - it'd be better if I understood what the fuck is written on the screen. Anyway, you can buy houses, complete quests in multiple ways, become a pirate lord and a shitload of other things.

* (J) Lunatic Dawn II - you create a character, then you're dropped into the world with no directions whatsoever and you can do whatever the hell you want - get married, buy a house and hire more people, start destroying monsters in one area so the towns there will flourish and so on

* (J) Moon Remix RPG Adventure - this one can't be explained, it has to be played to be believed

* (J - script translated) Growlanser - it's got more choices and consequences in the first twenty minutes than most RPGs in the whole game (ok maybe I'm exaggerating, but still I was truly impressed by the amount of choices and nonlinearity). 2 is very good as well but not as much as the first one, 3 is decent and 4 onwards they're shit.

* Star Ocean 2 - well this is more widely known. I like it because it's open ended

* (J) Taikou Risshiden V - the true game in which every choice has a consequence.

* (J - translation in progress) Chaos Seed - Dungeon Keeper-like with quests and multiple ways to complete each one. Arguably one of the best SNES games which unfortunately didn't get a translation.

* (J) Traverse: Stairlight and Prairie - an open ended SNES rpg, you gotta love that

* Terranigma - again, this came out in the US so it's more widely known.

* Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song (actually, the whole RS series is great, but I had to choose one so...) - best PS2 game I've ever played

BONUS: (J) Oriental Blue - read this and keep waiting for the translation. Hey it's gonna come out eventually.

mondblut

Arcane
1. Betrayal at Krondor
2. PST
3... duh, the rest of them are gayer than Oblivion and Ass Effect combined.

lightbane

Arcane
1. SMT: Devil Survivor (it has several types of recruitable horse-like demons)
2. SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2 (it has a boss that's a horse-like creature plus more demonic horses)
3. Nier (trannies, awesome story, cool music...)
4. Breath of fire 2
5. Mother 3 (it has a mutant horse as an enemy)
6. Earthbound
7. Metal Saga
8. Steambot Chronicles/Bumpy Trot
9. Final Fantasy VI
10. Terranigma

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
1. SMT I
2. SMT II
3. SMT: Nocturne
4. SMT: Strange Journey
5. SMT: Devil Survivor
6. Mother 3
7. Final Fantasy V (haven't replayed it in a long long time though)
8. Final Fantasy IX
9. Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light (just because I'm having really good fun with it)
10. Etrian Odyssey III

What, ten already? Fuck this shit. I could name some more.
EDIT. Oh my, how could I have forgotten:

11. Threads of Fate
:love:

EDIT2.
12. The Last Remnant
You should count this one in, dear Horsie, since it has a location named "Berechevaltelle", translated as "The Land of Beautiful Horses".

deuxhero

Arcane
Not counting sRPGs?

1.Pokemon Crystal
3: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Radiou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon (that's a long title)
3:Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (It's a tie, DS has a better plot progression and makes the impact of your choices a lot clearer, Nocturne's battle system is better)
4: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
5:Golden Sun Broken Seal/Golden Sun The Lost Age (they are same game broken into two for space)

OK, I haven't really played that many I enjoyed. I guess Devil Survivor defaults to 6, with the other MegaTen I've played (Persona 3, DDS 1 and Strange Journey, SJ's annoying fusing mechanics are keeping it from a clear number 7, didn't really like the other 2 that much), The World Ends With You, Chrono Trigger and the other Pokemon titles fighting for the last 5 spots (I can tell you Diamond and Pearal are shit, even more so then the other JRPGs I've played, they really suck as Pokemon games and feel unfinished .). None are really top 7-10 material though unless I list Gold/Silver and HeartGold/SoulSilver as seperate games from Crystal, which is cheating.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Secret of Mana

The only ones I've played and thought they were good. A few further additions that aren't really JRPGs in one way or another:

4. SMT III: Nocturne
5. SMT: Strange Journey
6. Anachronox

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
mariog said:
I'll post some I'm sure most people have never heard about - actually most of these are more akin to western RPGs rather than FF-like uberlinear shit due to their nonlinearity and freedom of choice - those labelled (J) are jap only:
Since you seem well versed on the subject of japanese only games, i'd like to ask if you've heard of or even played Mega CD japanese only release of Shadowrun. I've always had a soft spot for the setting and although i'm not really much of a console gamer, i liked both Genesis and SNES Shadowrun games. There was supposedly an english translation planned originally, but since the game came at a time when Sega started to drop support for Mega CD, that translation never materialized. A pity, since i hear that the game was a bastard child of Snatcher and JRPG. Has anyone played this game?

laclongquan

Arcane
1. Final Fantasy 8. My most favourite FF game of all. Innovative and thought-invoking.
Andy bonus: the unicorn-like horsies in the cold region? My favourite farm! I skewer them down then cut off their horns to make expensive medicine stuffs. PROFIT!!! and the horse Odin rode, of course.

2. Legend of Mana. The item craft aspect is just plain fun. I have to replay it one of these day.

3. Chrono Cross. I like it better than Trigger, to be clear.

4. Parasite Eve 2. The only horror genre game I touch. Andy bonus: zombie horses galore. Especially the herd of 40 attack at entrance of the mine. And the big horse daddy inside. Tough motherfucker!

5. Romance of Three Kingdom 10. andy bonus: horses galore! expensive horses that you can buy/rob/gift/command.

6. Planescape Torment. Didnt some Codexers around here list it in jRPG category?

7. Sengoku Rance. The jRPG to rule them all.

8. Big Bang Age Daibanchou. you are in for a treat.

9. Front Mission 3. 1 and 2 doesnt impress me much.

10. Septerra Core. Because its everything is influenced by jRPG. Just play it and you will see. Add it to hold the last place.

EDIT: If Reccetear fit the bill I will overwrite Septerra Core with it. or Torment.

circ

Arcane
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy 6
4. Seiken Densetsu 3
3. Final Fantasy 5
5. Final Fantasy 4
6. Tales of Phantasia
7. Lufia 1
8. Lufia 2
9. Star Ocean
10. Breath of Fire 2

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Xenosaga
Xenosaga II
Final Fantasy VIII
Suikoden II
Suikoden III
Final Fantasy X
Xenosaga III
Final Fantasy VII
Suikoden Tactics

Sckarecrow92

Educated
1. Final Fantasy tactics

2. Demon's Soul

3. Devil Survivor

4. Final Fantasy 9

5. Someone pick something for me

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
1. Anachronox
2. Moon Remix
3. Chrono Trigger
4. FFVI
5. Recettear

anus_pounder

Arcane
1. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon : Explorers of Sky
2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team
3. Anachronox
4. Pokemon Red
5. Pokemon Gold
6. Pokemon Emerald
7. Final Fantasy 6
8. Langrisser II
9. Demon's Soul
10. Live a Live

Shannow

Waster of Time
1. Secret of Mana
2. Grandia 2
3. Mystic Quest
4. Terranigma
5. Secret of Evermore

Damn, I actually played 5... Hu'd haf thunked.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Grandia
3. Lunar: Eternal Blue
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Xenogears
6. Suikoden II
7. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
8. Breath of Fire IV
9. Earth Bound
10. Legend of Dragoon

Rough list sans strategy-rpgs.

Suchy

Arcane
mondblut said:
1. Betrayal at Krondor
2. PST
3... duh, the rest of them are gayer than Oblivion and Ass Effect combined.
Le Fu?
PST I could understand, but BaK?

spekkio

Arcane
Excluding tactical games? :roll:

Only games that I've completed, listed in aphabetical order (screw gay ratings):
  • Anachronox (PC)
  • Breath of Fire 4 (PSX)
  • Chrono Trigger (SNES)
  • Final Fantasy 5 (SNES)
  • Grandia (PSX)
  • Shadow Hearts 2 (PS2)
  • SMT 3 - Nocturne (PS2)
  • Vagrant Story (PSX)
  • Vakyrie Profile (PSX)
  • Tales of Phantasia (SNES)
I prefer jTGs of course (Front Mission, Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts, etc.)

mariog said:
Thanks for this.

:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom