Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Poles are watching us

Black

Arcane
You're just jealous cause we have our own good rpg made in 2007!

Jasede said:
Look, I realise there might be that tiny chance that it's simply that good, but has that ever happened? I am very, very careful of this game. It's just received too well.
"Very, very careful"? It's a video game not a rattlesnake, and there has been balanced criticism - notably over the load times. Unfortunately reasonable critical comment tends to get derailed by superficial bullshit like “is Geralt a big ol’ sexist meannie?”

That said, people who haven’t actually finished it have over-praised the game. Acts II & III are the high points; it slides into linearity and story-driven railroading thereafter. It’s still relative though, The Witcher’s linearity and railroading is five times better than Fable’s linearity and railroading.

Durwyn

Prophet
I consider myslef as a Polish nationalist and a true patriot so it's hard for me to be objective in this matter, but even though i see flaws in The Witcher, it's truely one of the best A-RPGs which i've played. It's hardly RPG redefined, as it have been roughly stated by devs, but it has several nice idea's that might've been better executed... Personaly i loved the way that game presented to player consequences of their choices, but there's still a room for improvment... some consequences may feel wrong and unclear... Combat with timed clicking is nice.. but somewhat overpowered group style debalances it... Story is very good and it pretty sucked me in, but sometimes it feels that Geralt has some serious blackouts as in the begining of Act II...
I really like the game, but as every ARPG it lacks other than combat skills...
Call me a nationalist but, when playing The Witcher you actually can feel that it was made with passion and not only in order to make big bucks, but for player enjoyment other that OMG Look at this Shinny Graphix.

Edit: Actually the worse of Geralt blackout is from Epilogue to Act I, not the beginning of Act II... my bad

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
dagorkan said:
OK I take back the Polish thing - even though it is true, a high percentage of posters in that thread were Polish - because I don't think they are just nationalists. I do think you guys have probably over-rated the game out of frustration of there not being any traditional RPGs coming out any more.

Polish game based on Polish kvlt classic novels - who the fuck is supposed to write about it here? Ze germans?

dagorkan said:
That's just my opinion from what I know of the game, it sounds like a pretty typical Action-RPG, maybe better executed and more polished (geddit?) than usual. And I know there are a lot of people who liked Diablo, Gothic etc here so I can see how it would appeal to that crowd.

Sounds you say? Enough to get into fights with people who've actually played it?
Diablo and Gothic are very similar games :roll: Anyway, Witcher is popular amongst dumbfucks - check the official forums. Still the game is by no means stupid a la JE or OB.

dagorkan said:
I'll probably try it at some point because it looks like it might be fun even if it isn't really an RPG and if I'm wrong and do like it I promise I'll write a review and say I was wrong. But for the moment I still have Planescape to finish, MotB to buy and there'll be Eschalon: Book I to buy iin a week, both of which are higher priority. So it won't be for a while. If Age of Decadence comes out by Christmas I'll probably review the Witcher in February.

So shut the fuck up until that time. :wink:

vrok

Liturgist
At least he finally admitted he was being unreasonable (again), so no need for the after-hate. Normally he'd deserve a burning and a whipping for flip-flopping but these are harsh times.

Texas Red

Whiner
"Typical Action RPG". If you would play the game you would understand how wrong this statement is.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Age of Decadence on Christmas?

Ah ha!

Ah ha ha ha!

Edit: or should I say "ho ho ho!"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom