Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The second and largest paragraph is nothing but PR speak in concordance with the awful marketing they did at the time. Unfortunate but at least watch a playthrough or something and see how the game is.
Story is ehhhh (I liked it), gameplay is better than HR, level design is great, hub is great, some side quests are great. Honestly it leaves you wanting for more.
I read a plot synopsis and nothing about it grabbed me as interesting. Seemed about as dry as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

you truly are the most basic of bitches
I disagree with Chris Avellone about a number of things, but agree with his take on player motivation.
On my long list of hates about RPGs, one of them was, I always felt it was an unnecessary chore to make you care about a world when in fact what most players care about is their own personal experience. So in Planescape, we [decided], “We’re just going to make everything about you. This is your journey, the planes aren’t going to explode—it’s all about your personal journey, and about everything that took place that you did beforehand that’s caused this situation.” And that’s how we wanted to keep it. You want to have a totally selfish adventure? I’m right there with you. That’s fantastic. I don’t want you to save a nation or go rescue the princess or kill the evil wizard, I want you to save yourself, and you figure out how to do it. It’s all about you, so enjoy it. Because that’s the kind of game that I want to play.

-Player motivation. This isn't the same thing as character motivation (see above). What you want here is to be able to provide the player with enough teasers to keep him going throughout the game, either by revealing critical information, introducing cool, new companions, acquiring new special abilities, and so on. Basically, each stage of the game should ask the question, "Why should the player care?", and each stage of the game should answer it. It is difficult to make the player care about saving some generic fantasy realm if the designers haven't constructed a way to make the player care about its inhabitants, the political situation, or the events that are playing out there?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I read a plot synopsis and nothing about it grabbed me as interesting. Seemed about as dry as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Ok fine you don't like the story, it's subjective anyway. But if you like the gameplay and level design of HR you should like MD. It's simply an improvement . Plus it has an NG+ mode.

thesecret1

Arcane
Avoided MD too since the pitch makes it sound like the whole game is gonna revolve around muh racism

Silverfish

Arbiter
MD is pretty good, but I also think I made the right call in waiting until it only cost $1.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well I beat the game. My save picked up near the end of the Monarch arc where I had to decide what to do with the two factions there.
I brokered a peace then moved on after completing everything there that remained.
The ending sure rushes up on you almost outta nowhere, I wonder if they had to cut down ideas for Byzantium, it felt really lacking in comparison to other zones.
Overall it was enjoyable, I don't own the DLC so I can't really judge them at the moment.
Good for you.
Now play Arcanum and Fallout.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RPG Codex and The Outer Worlds
fce.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
thing is it isn't only the holy codex consensus calling out TOW as the mediocre shit it is, roguey just liked the game himself

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This forum hates games that appeal to broadest possible market, that's nothing new. What's wrong is the common assertion here that no one liked TOW, not even the mooing masses (turns out many of them did). :P

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That shit was in Humble monthly or whatever is called now, I got it with 10 other games for 10 euro, so there are your 1 to 2 million sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom