Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Voight

Novice
Is it really climbing animation on 0:12-0:13? Seriously, they really "broaden" the definition of arena shooters

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
id software dropped the fucking ball on this game, zenimax gave them complete creative freedom but they just couldn't get their shit together and spent a whole lot of money on nothing so zenimax came down and was just like: you have to make this game, get it done by this date or else the only thing that will come out of id software is id tech.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, shotgun in D3 have the shortest range in any FPS I remember. You needed to put it right in the enemy face to work.

lightbane

Arcane
Yeah, shotgun in D3 have the shortest range in any FPS I remember. You needed to put it right in the enemy face to work.

To compensate though, RoE's super-shotgun was completely OP (able to one-shot many things), but really fun to use.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Come on! Sure they might it might be a little different on the surface, but the essence of the original is still there!
n8VNSO7.png
That's a beautiful kitchen knife you got there bro. Sorry to be off-topic but I really have nothing to say about this.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I like that it is colourful since it provides a nice contrast to Doom 3's darker colour palette. Having just recently played Doom 1 and 2 I can assure you those had tons of bright colours, though that was mostly due to the limits of PC graphics at the time.

Overall I like the art direction, except for the designs of the marines. They look way too much like Halo's space marines. It probably would have been a better idea to do something radically different in order to give them a unique identity. I'm sure their concept artists could come up with something way more original, but they probably only wanted generic Halo marine.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I like brighter colors, even though it's more Quake 2 colored lights style than colorful enemies. The marines look shitty though and the over the top violence is cringey.

Leitz

Learned
Looks a bit like Quake 3, which was already a contrived Quake/Doom style. This is like the next state of a derivate. Doom mannerism.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yldri yes, exactly. They started with brown enemies in brown scenery, which was hard to read. Not really fun to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom