Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
lol explain this bullshit then. Announcer sounds like it has aspergers.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Want to make successful doom ?

- Create system shock 2 like world with parts locked until you progress or find hidden path.
- Make it super gore so that soldier of fortune 2 ghul system would be like gore in mario. After a shot in stomach entrails, shit, blood would fly. Every piece of skin, bone, meat would be procedural y destructible. Shoot in ear ? No ear and ton of blood
- make possible to pain surfaces with blood, mosters leaving footsteps with blood of victims.
- spend half of developement budget to make absolutely perfect weapons in therm of feeling. Make every weapon feel like they are best thing in world and put all other weapons in games to shame.
- STORY: You are marine guard taking part in research experiment, you need to save yourself by escaping colony OR localize point of problem and resolve it. Depending on choices in game you can end game differently
- no health regen
- scarce ammo for best guns
- enemy that can flank you or run for help or better position.

and you will have amazing doom.

In short, make it PC only.

But cutting the art budget a little so there can be large levels and movement faster than a snail's pace is also a necessary step - and one that would never happen. Not that the art will be any good, it's Bethesda after all.

pippin

Want to make a good Doom game in THE CURRENT YEAR?

Step 1: Don't.
Step 2: Go to abandonware sites, download the game's files, download dosbox, play, have fun.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I fucking double-dare anyone to play Hell Revealed with a controller. Heck, maybe at least Final Doom.
lol I'd imagine doom to be p. playable with a controller. Left stick strafes, Right stick turns and two buttons for shoop/use and others to switch weapons. Dual Shock has enough buttans for all weapons at least.

pippin

Doom 64 is worth it just because it's not a port, but a game with its own character and intentions. Odd that you would find a worthwile Doom game in a Nintendo-made console, but the reality we live in tends to be weirder.

Riskbreaker

Or just make a wad.
We really need to start something akin to Codexian Community Megawad project one of these days. (GZ)Doom Builder is one of the easiest-to-use editors out there, plus I'm under the impression that few regulars already dabbled in it to some extent.

Also, Doom 64 is indeed awesome and everyone should play it.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nobody is going to make a good Doom game while developing for multi-plataform. Or any good remake of a old-school shooter. I fucking double-dare anyone to play Hell Revealed with a controller. Heck, maybe at least Final Doom. Althrough the fact Doom has auto-aim and mouse is optional may help.

NuDoom is like the worst parts Brutal Doom + Modern shooters.

BTW, what's up with modern shooters being so slow? Its sorta ridiculous how say, Masterchief is a genetically-enhanced Super-human in advanced Power Armor, yet he runs slower than a granny. Pretty sure its console crap. I have no idea why you would play a shooter on a console, you can't aim for crap.

The funny thing is that I was thinking one of these days and Doom would really work as a Action RPG. Remember when we were discussing how Doom's makers were big tabletop fans and Doom levels have very RPG-ish design?

It's because of the detailwork of the art requires small levels so they make you move slower than december diarrhea as a time killer.

Also because retards on the console can't handle anything faster than a snail's pace. Not to mention fast movement confuses the collision detection on shitty ass consoles. Hopefully that last part will finally not be an issue soon, but I find that once gaming industry starts doing stupid shit they tend to keep doing it even when it makes no sense and most of the people doing it are doing it just because everyone else is doing it.

Doom 3 was an awful game consisting 100% of monster closets and repetitive monotonous environments. It overused darkness because Carmack's ego needed to show off his lighting tricks. It completely failed at multiple enemies or even remotely expansive environments. It had none of the feel, dynamic, or combat strategy of Doom.

"Doom 4" is going to be a shitty game too, but at least it's not 90% black.

Doom 3 was shit, but going by the mp demo this is actually worse. I'd rather it be 100% black so you couldn't actually see the game.

sullynathan

Arcane
The monotone voice is ripped straight from halo.

Nobody is going to make a good Doom game while developing for multi-plataform. Or any good remake of a old-school shooter. I fucking double-dare anyone to play Hell Revealed with a controller. Heck, maybe at least Final Doom. Althrough the fact Doom has auto-aim and mouse is optional may help.

NuDoom is like the worst parts Brutal Doom + Modern shooters.

BTW, what's up with modern shooters being so slow? Its sorta ridiculous how say, Masterchief is a genetically-enhanced Super-human in advanced Power Armor, yet he runs slower than a granny. Pretty sure its console crap. I have no idea why you would play a shooter on a console, you can't aim for crap.

The funny thing is that I was thinking one of these days and Doom would really work as a Action RPG. Remember when we were discussing how Doom's makers were big tabletop fans and Doom levels have very RPG-ish design?

Current halo is much faster than original halo.

sullynathan

Arcane
The monotone voice is ripped straight from halo.

Current halo is much faster than original halo.

I dunno, never played beyond the original. Fun shooter, good for what it is. Main annoyance is the slow-ass movement and the shameless multiple repeated level areas.
I have beat Halo 1, 3 and reach and played a bit of Halo 2 and I can say that they don't have that repeated level design problem. By Halo reach, sprinting and jetpack was added as a power and by Halo 4 & 5 sprinting, evasion, jetpacks and a slew of other shit became the norm.

Cadmus

Arcane
You can tell that it's doom because there's loud rock music playing.
1. that's not rock
2. it sounds like some weird medley of some general "Id themes" I can't put my finger on it. Sometimes it's quite ok then the rhythm gets all fucked up and there's some screeching noise wtf.

Axe Father

Savant
I definitely see what you're getting at. The bit at 0:22 reminds me a bit of the Quake theme, and 0:30 brings to mind the theme for Doom 3.

I laugh because this games looks like the kind of generic drudgery that kids in TV shows and movies play whenever they want to parody videogames. The enemy designs are Doom 3 tier garbage for sure. Everything is a grey-skinned naked man-beast. The only ones that look alright are the Baron and the Cacodemon, which actually seems like a decent update of the original design unlike the Krangsharktopuss that was the Doom 3 iteration.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Besides looking like a typical slow console shooter the only thing I could think of is why they didn't hire the announcer from Quake 3? It was kind of jarring. Plus got the vibes too.

Drax

Arcane
First Halo was cool when it came out, haven't played the rest.

Yeah, its a good, fun game.
Also, IT'S A RINGWORLD
*faps
I have no idea why but the Assault Rifle in Halo is pure crap, can't kill anything worth a damn, sounds like popcorn jumping on a hot pot and has zero accuracy. Worst 7,62mm futuristic assault rifle ever, its only good for randomly spraying Flood. Worst FPS gun ever.
Meanwhile the pistol is like a pocket sniper-rifle and the plasma rifle/pistol rock. Pity the Shotgun only shows up at mid-game, it really rocks.
The pistol is great for killing the small screamy ones.
I enjoyed, for 5 minutes, the dart gun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom