Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TES is a mess.

Like Star Wars, you can just throw any shit into it and its zealous fans will gobble it up unquestionably and cry for more DLC.

But this thread is about Doom. id Software is a mess.

But that's really what it comes down to... there is no id anymore. It's just a name with nothing of the former company behind it. That's why I never had any doubt this was going to cater to the Bethesda console crowd from day one. It's what Bethesda wants to target and that's what Bethesda made. It's a Bethesda game through and through...just don't call it id anymore.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
But that's really what it comes down to... there is no id anymore. It's just a name with nothing of the former company behind it. That's why I never had any doubt this was going to cater to the Bethesda console crowd from day one. It's what Bethesda wants to target and that's what Bethesda made. It's a Bethesda game through and through...just don't call it id anymore.
HAHAHA, it should be called di for getting Doom backwards.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Bethesda just doesn't 'get' what Doom is about. It's that simple.
Bethesda doesn't even get what Elder Scrolls is about anymore.

That's because to the modern gamer numbers mean nothing. There were no games before Doom 3, Doom 3 was the first.
There were no games before Fallout 3, Fallout 3 was the first.
There were no games before Elder Scrolls IV, Elder Scrolls IV was the first.

Those numbers were added for stylistic effect.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So here's a question.

Assuming you don't just want to just make a Quake clone and call it Doom, how would you design a good Doom PvP multiplayer? The original Doom multiplayer wasn't anything particularly remarkable, right? But is there something there you could evolve in an interesting direction, one that is distinct from Quake and other arena shooters?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I guess we haven't seen all the modes and some function were hidden. We have to see full package to judge.
I agree MP must not be Quake/COD/BF clone but must have it's own uniqueness. I hope this uniqueness wasn't shown in beta.

Btw, it would be cool that you could detonate BFG projectile with your gun, if precise, and that way obliterate player who shoot it.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
I guess we haven't seen all the modes and some function were hidden. We have to see full package to judge.
I agree MP mustn't be Quake/COD/BF clone but must have it's own uniqueness. I hope this uniqueness wasn't shown in beta.

Btw, it would be cool that you could detonate BFG projectile with your gun, if precise, and that way obliterate player who shoot it.

Here's some gameplay from the full version. No idea how they got their hands on it.

Rossy

Novice
The original Doom multiplayer wasn't anything particularly remarkable, right?

Wrong. Original Doom multiplayer is quite simple, but fast and fun. I enjoy it more than any of the Quake games or any other Multiplayershooter. And if you add CTF to it, you arrive at one of the best team-based FPS.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So here's a question.

Assuming you don't just want to just make a Quake clone and call it Doom, how would you design a good Doom PvP multiplayer? The original Doom multiplayer wasn't anything particularly remarkable, right? But is there something there you could evolve in an interesting direction, one that is distinct from Quake and other arena shooters?

I'll admit that I'm not qualified to give an "expert opinon" on FPS multiplayer, but the first order of the day is to make the weapons do their respective damage.

Nu-Doom's Rocket Launcher requires 6+ indirect hits to kill an opponent, the few multiplayer games I know of put that amount at 4 at the very most. Old Doom let you barely survive a point-blank rocket to the face if you had 200% health and armor, but in general you don't want to be hit by the Rocket Launcher at all. Most multiplayer games let (unscoped) Sniper rifles kill players in 2-3 shots, Nu-Doom doubles that number.

Old-Doom's BFG 9000 was pretty much a one-shot affair, which is why most players tended to run and hide if they knew someone had it. And yet it could easily be countered if you had half a brain. Nu-Doom's 'Daemon' upgrade by comparison is just "Winning!"-mode, taken straight out of Star Wars Battlefront.

What I'm mentioning are very basic elements, yet they need to be brought up.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
nsfw

0XCwF50.jpg

Cadmus

Arcane
So here's a question.

I also don't have that much experience with Doom MP. I played it a bit back then but it wasn't all that fun to me.
Quake 3 is my favourite arena shooter so I don't see any harm in aping the good parts of it.
Anyway, first the game itself must be good so no QTE takedowns, no snail speed characters, no impotent weapons. They want to do an arena shooter style MP so they'll have to make it look like some of the best arena shooters, there's no two ways about it, mister.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
not a single click for beth, not to mention buying and/or playing their games
The DOOM Open Beta finished earlier this week and thanks to your participation over the course of the weekend, we got a lot of great information. The server backend infrastructure held up really well to the load, and we got all of the data we need in preparation for the worldwide launch on May 13. Based on your feedback we had already made a considerable number of updates and improvements between the Closed Betas and Open Beta, and we appreciate all the additional feedback you shared with us during the Open Beta.

In particular we got a lot of feedback from the PC community with regards to capped framerates, monitor support, multi-monitor support and other PC features that weren’t emphasized in the Beta for various development reasons. So to clarify: At launch the PC framerate will not be capped. Further, the PC version of DOOM will expose a comprehensive set of advanced game and rendering options that will allow players to dial the experience up or down based on their individual desires or hardware capabilities.

PC gaming is in our DNA here at id. Just like so many of you, we also love to tinker with settings to get the exact experience we want – and every ounce of performance our systems can handle. We will be running an uncapped framerate on PC at launch, supporting ultra-wide 21:9 monitors, allowing wider FOV, and providing a wide variety of advanced settings that allows any PC connoisseur the opportunity to make intelligent tradeoffs between visual fidelity and performance.

We also know many of you are interested in some deeper insight into the types of fundamental changes we’ve made to our engine technology over the last few years. In the coming weeks, we’ll be giving you an inside look at idTech 6 engine architecture, our rendering pipeline, our customization tech and other initiatives we have underway to broaden our minimum PC spec even further than our current expectations.

Our current expected PC advanced settings include:

Manually Lock Framerate (un-locked by default)
Lights Quality
Chromatic Aberration Toggle
Shading Quality
Post Process Quality
Particles Quality
Game F/X Quality
Decal Quality
Directional Occlusion
Reflections Quality
Depth of Field Toggle
Decal / Texture Filtering
Motion Blur Quality / Toggle
Sharpening Amount
Lens Flare Toggle
Lens Dirt Toggle
Texture Atlas Size
Show Performance Metrics
Resolution Scaling
UI Opacity
Film Grain
Rendering Mode
FOV Slider
Simple Reticle
Show First-person Hands Toggle
Use Compute Shaders
Vsync (support or triple buffering)

Thank you again for the feedback and support. We hope that, regardless of your preferred platform, you come back to learn more about the technical work we’ve done on DOOM. We’re excited to share it.

when you see it
26BkNTRWHGaPFCQUw.gif

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
The artist actually goes by the handle JustMeGabeNewell.

I shouldn't have googled that. Nightmares forever.

However, I am fascinated by artists who are good at their craft spending a lot of time and effort making images of fictional creatures fucking each other. The things we do to get ourselves off

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom