Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Nope. The reason why we can't have nice things is that today any moron can play vidyagames without performing arcane rituals to discern the true values of IRQ and DMA or uttering obscure invocations to himem.sys or MSCDEX.

Well, technically this started way back with consoles, which were always plug-n-play. Consolitis is a disease that took its time coming, until it halted the incline of CRPGs of the late 90s, and became an epidemic in the 2000s. I suspect a part of this was the migration to PC-like architecture with the XBOX.

Astral Rag

Arcane
PMOtVZj.png

Of course these reviews will vanish faster than a bag of Doritos at GameSpot HQ when the "Beta" ends.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/350470/

2gJgKjl.jpg

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
PMOtVZj.png

Of course these reviews will vanish faster than a bag of Doritos at GameSpot HQ when the "Beta" ends.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/350470/

2gJgKjl.jpg
Hahaha the whole page on steam is gone, all the reviews deleted into oblivion. And they will just create a new page when the game releases in May with a clean slate. Brilliant move. I wonder why Steam allows for bullshit like this.

Edit: There already is a clean page of Doom on steam. No reviews whatsoever: http://store.steampowered.com/app/379720/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Open Beta was a separate game on Steam - it's not like Early Access where pre-release and final game share the same page. The beta is over now so they removed the page.

tormund

Arcane
To be fair, this was just limited MP beta. Most people will be buying this for singleplayer, and it is obvious that most money and dev time went into it, so it's not like this beta was real representation of released full game.

And we already had examples of free betas and demos having separate store pages.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The Open Beta was a separate game on Steam - it's not like Early Access where pre-release and final game share the same page. The beta is over now so they removed the page.
I know why this happened and that it had happened before with some other games. But I still believe that it is a shady way of doing things.

Lets analize the modus operandi: Just announce an Open Beta for your basically finished game. A lot of people will try it, and it just so happens that at least half of them won't like it. You get 50% negative reviews but you can end the Open beta, delete the page and no trace of the 50% displeased people stays. Then you have a page for your "Full release" and I guarantee that if you do it like month or two later, most of the angry people from beta wont give a fuck and wont write another negative review so you only are given positive reviews from people who liked the open beta enough to come back for the "full release".

Im not saying thats precisely what Doom did, because it was just the multiplayer component, and only a part of it anyway, but what stops another developer from doing just what I described above?

The Open Beta page should be added as a Tab on the main game release page, something called "Previous impressions" "Past reviews" or something.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I posted this "Hurt" video on another forum I was having to start doubts on. Now that I saw the replies, the doubts have faded, and not even hope remains.

This is going to be another Doom 3. While both games are fundamentally different, a crowd will get drawn to it, call it "good for what it is", and then immediately forget it when the next popamole hype train arrive. Soon enough, this is going to be another of these shit that haunt people's Steam lists, only to remind the goods that they have a copy of Zandronum and Brutal Doom somewhere on their hard drive, and the rest will be too busy looking at their Steam trophies, doing another QTE in another mindless game, who will also be good for what it is.

tormund

Arcane
I have some doubts about it being treated in same way as Doom 3. Bethesda has a knack for "molding" fanbases, look at how latest Wolfenstein and its expansion are already considered to be some sort of "cult classics" and are still often mentioned, despite them being typical modern shooters of the kind that usually gets forgotten in a year.
I don't think that they will be able to pull the same shit as with Fallout fanbase, like it was mentioned few pages ago, but I have no doubt that they will create atmosphere where it will be hard to dismiss or insult NuDoom on Doom-related forums even if it happens to receive mixed or negative critical reception...

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Beta does not represent final product for any studio. At least that should be the case.
So, these "reviews" were feedback and of course they should be deleted. The game is not out yet.
Also, for that kind of game, there should be 2 grades on steam, for SP and MP. Basically, it can happen one likes MP but hates SP. Or other way around.
I hope they could make Doom more old school but just an ink drop of something unique never seen yet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The reviews weren't deleted, like it was said it was the game entry that was deleted since it was just for the MP beta and separated from main game.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Beta does not represent final product for any studio. At least that should be the case.
So, these "reviews" were feedback and of course they should be deleted. The game is not out yet.
Also, for that kind of game, there should be 2 grades on steam, for SP and MP. Basically, it can happen one likes MP but hates SP. Or other way around.
I hope they could make Doom more old school but just an ink drop of something unique never seen yet.
This was a demo that represents the final product's multiplayer mode accurately. They're not going to change anything in the three and a half weeks remaining before the full game is released. They've already got all the content together and have gone gold.

Quatlo

Arcane
Everyone knows "beta" is now a word for glorified timed demo.
Steam reviews allow you to review only when you buy a game, so the only way to shit again on this atrocious game is to buy it, shitpost a review and then refund it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Steam reviews allow you to review only when you buy a game, so the only way to shit again on this atrocious game is to buy it, shitpost a review and then refund it.

It will be interesting to see how many people do precisely that, since it requires actual :effort: of people.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bethesda and id are quite resourceful so maybe they would change it in release update.

I already mentioned how "resourceful" Bethesda are in a previous post.

No one here is paying attention to your feeble 'plant' efforts BTW. The date is set, the code is ready, at best they can squash a few bugs and optimize performance before the Almighty Release Date, but even that may be wishful thinking.

The 'problems' with the game that are the cause of the deluge of bad reviews is that the game fails to live up to expectations from the ground up. People wanted a modern-day Doom, but what they're getting is a Halo knock-off. What Bethesda would have to do at this point is scrap the entire game and start from the beginning...except they've already done that with an older build of this game because it felt too much like Call of Duty.

Bethesda just doesn't 'get' what Doom is about. It's that simple. They think it's just another golden goose that should be butchered for its eggs.

Quatlo

Arcane

Man, compating DAAM to older games, and even shitty Quake 2 isnt fair.

EDIT: He even compares it to new UT. Its like kicking the dead, not fair man, nor fair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom