Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters
so about mm8:
does main character get more xp than rest? My plan was to play duo character from beginning and not care about those lvl 50 heroes.

My vampire recruited dark elf and both were lvl 5. Same learning skill.
Now my vampire is lvl 30 while dark elf is 23. Ive soaked a lot of horseshoes on that weakling as he had to cover way more skills. I think I'm gonna rage quit. I didnt remember this issue when i played long time ago.

Class quests? They give more exp to chars with matching class.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
LoL
There are easy promotion quests out there, complete them asap and get all them lvl 50 heroes quicker?
Not that you really need them, 8th game is the easiest of the bunch, even without a dragon.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just found info about this - if party not full - main hero gets extra exp after promotion quests :lol:
LOL

im starting over or abandon I guess. I've completed elf and cleric promotion quests so far so it totally explains this gap. Do you have a source?
I guess I should have just picked that lvl50 elf right at start
You could level up to 50 and then add the level 50 your party.

Just found info about this - if party not full - main hero gets extra exp after promotion quests :lol:
LOL

im starting over or abandon I guess. I've completed elf and cleric promotion quests so far so it totally explains this gap. Do you have a source?
I guess I should have just picked that lvl50 elf right at start

http://mm6world.ru/8_solution.htm

It's on Russian, basically it says:

Dark elf promotion:
Result: Dark elves get 35k exp, other members 25k exp, if party not full 25k exp for each missing party member goes to main character.

Same shit for all other promotion quests.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oh, that. Jesus. God no.

How can you kill it though? I tried it using the fire wand but never succeeded.
Bows.

That is exactly why I dislike M&M VI trough IX.

This horriby ugly FSP/Turn based hybrid just doesn't work.
:whatho:
My shoot outs feel smooth as doom. I even go for cross hand formation on the keyboard. The magic key is shift,i use it to run when i don't fight and fast turning,great help when dogging.

Nice, I didn't expect that. This is exciting because mouse polling for the Xeen games in Dosbox is wonky if you play at cycle-appropriate timings. Having smooth mouse movement at the correct speed is going to be great.

Edmund Spenser

Educated
This thread is making me install Xeen again, despite the fact I still think 6 is the best.

What's a good, balanced party for 4/5? I think last time I did barb/knight/ninja/ranger/cleric/sorc.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Voted 7 but 6 not far behind for me. 4/5 were good too, never played 2 or 3.

Had 1 on the NES when I was a kid, didnt play it much.

8 wasn't great but was still playable, lots of problems.

9 was shit.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What's a good, balanced party for 4/5? I think last time I did barb/knight/ninja/ranger/cleric/sorc.
I like having backup casters for both spell schools, so I find Knight/Paladin/Archer/Robber/Cleric/Sorc to be ideal, you can replace the Robber for a Ninja and I don't think it makes a huge difference, but the Robber will trigger fewer traps. Ranger and Druid are useless in WOX IMO, since they get limited access to both spell schools but lose out on the most useful spells from both, unlike in MM3 where they had their own spell school with some very useful spells.

The Xeen games are pretty easygoing and you shouldn't be worrying about an optimized party. MM1/2 are much more punishing. Just play the game and enjoy the exploration.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do think to start my yearly replaying of MM6&7,could put a replay of MM5 seeing how i haven't replayed it for two years.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I like having backup casters for both spell schools, so I find Knight/Paladin/Archer/Robber/Cleric/Sorc to be ideal, you can replace the Robber for a Ninja and I don't think it makes a huge difference, but the Robber will trigger fewer traps. Ranger and Druid are useless in WOX IMO, since they get limited access to both spell schools but lose out on the most useful spells from both, unlike in MM3 where they had their own spell school with some very useful spells.
I'd pick Barbarian over Knight. Paladin can wear all the plate in the world and Obsidian armor doesn't really care if it's Cloth, Leather or Plate, it gives a fuckton of AC anyhow. Barbarian does more damage because they get attacks more often. So I'd say Knight only has the edge in the very early game, and with Pally and Cleric both healing you should have absolutely no problems.

Barbarian is definitely better than Knight, Knights have basically no purpose except in terms of ease of equipping (if you find Obsidian Plate Armor before you have Obsidian armor to equip on everyone else then you'll be able to stick it on the Knight).

I'd similarly say that Ninja is almost strictly superior to Robber. Thievery levels up anyway. If you pick a race that receives a thievery bonus as a Ninja you'll be equal to a standard Robber anyway. Ninjas are just as good as Knights ignoring minor equipment differences.

Full caster vs. half caster is kind of funny. On one hand, half casters are still basically just as shit as full casters at actually hitting things with other things. On the other hand, if you are properly (ab-)using your abilities you can warp back to recharge at almost any time, negating the only real penalty for half casters (half magic pool), and the extra ease of finding good equipment with classes that can take more stuff is useful. If you run something like 2 Barb+Ninja+3 full casters you'll definitely hurt throwing away tons of good equipment early on until you hit the point where you're drowning in Obsidian for everyone.

FWIW, Levels per attack by class: Barbarian 4, Paladin/Ninja 5, Robber 6, Half casters 7, Full casters 8. So you can see why going Paladin->Barbarian or Robber->Ninja adds a lot more damage per turn than Full caster->Half caster. EDIT: Actually this is wrong, only sorcerers have 8, other full casters have 7 with their half-counterpart having 6.

Agree pretty much on nature-type spells being not useful in WoX, but they are additionally not really useful in 3 since you can just hire the druid (or ranger?) who comes with the important spells when you need to water walk. But then 3 dropped even more loot on you to the point where classes really didn't matter anyway. Like, ideal party for 3 is 6 barbs and you just abuse all of the enchanted items to cast whatever spells you need.

Last edited:

Edmund Spenser

Educated
Barbarian is definitely better than Knight, Knights have basically no purpose except in terms of ease of equipping (if you find Obsidian Plate Armor before you have Obsidian armor to equip on everyone else then you'll be able to stick it on the Knight).

I'd similarly say that Ninja is almost strictly superior to Robber. Thievery levels up anyway. If you pick a race that receives a thievery bonus as a Ninja you'll be equal to a standard Robber anyway. Ninjas are just as good as Knights ignoring minor equipment differences.

Full caster vs. half caster is kind of funny. On one hand, half casters are still basically just as shit as full casters at actually hitting things with other things. On the other hand, if you are properly (ab-)using your abilities you can warp back to recharge at almost any time, negating the only real penalty for half casters (half magic pool), and the extra ease of finding good equipment with classes that can take more stuff is useful. If you run something like 2 Barb+Ninja+3 full casters you'll definitely hurt throwing away tons of good equipment early on until you hit the point where you're drowning in Obsidian for everyone.

FWIW, Levels per attack by class: Barbarian 4, Paladin/Ninja 5, Robber 6, Half casters 7, Full casters 8. So you can see why going Paladin->Barbarian or Robber->Ninja adds a lot more damage per turn than Full caster->Half caster. EDIT: Actually this is wrong, only sorcerers have 8, other full casters have 7 with their half-counterpart having 6.

Agree pretty much on nature-type spells being not useful in WoX, but they are additionally not really useful in 3 since you can just hire the druid (or ranger?) who comes with the important spells when you need to water walk. But then 3 dropped even more loot on you to the point where classes really didn't matter anyway. Like, ideal party for 3 is 6 barbs and you just abuse all of the enchanted items to cast whatever spells you need.

Sounds like you're recommending something like Barb/Ninja/Archer/Archer/Paladin/Paladin. What would be your ultimate party?

Last edited:
I'd probably edge towards dual Barbarians + Ninja + 1 cleric/Paladin + 2 Archers/Sorcerers. Full vs. Half casting is really up to personal preference, the difference becomes very marginal so fast. On the other hand more melee from 2 barbs is pretty much always useful and you'll easily find enough equipment to let your Barbs and Ninjas cast some spells when needed. In particular I don't really see the point of doubling up on cleric magic, the usual excuse is to resurrect if the cleric is the one killed but you're almost certain to find an item of resurrection before too long.

Last edited:
Why are you guys trying to min/max WoX? Pretty much no matter what you do the game will become a cakewalk shortly after Red Dwarf Mines. Just grab some lemonade and plenty of gas and enjoy the lawnmower ride, who cares about party comp?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom