Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It'll survive alright. Only thing you are missing in there is grandmaster repair but that can be aranged with sidekicks if I remember right.
Alchemy is useless at start btw, and again if I remember right only druids can grandmaster it so no black potions for you. No big deal, you'll find plenty just be sure to check high level alchemy shops special inventory. Just have your sorcerer learn it to expert for cure disease and such potions.

T. Reich

Arcane
GM repair is useless in MM7.

Expert alchemy = Harden Item potion >>>> GM repair.

Bester MM7 is very easy, especially combat-wise, so pretty much any party composition is viable as long as you understand game mechanics.
Cleric + Sorcerer = ez auto-win unless you suck at video games horribly.

I've easily completed the game with the default party on my first blind run when I was a 13yo nooblet, so I'm sure you can do better.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Better drop the thief for an archer. Later on it becomes very powerful with sparks on auto cast,the best offensive spell in the game. I personally don't use a cleric,i find it redundant if you have a paladin. Rather have a knight for a nice damage and health bank whit "shared life" spell. For the stone problem,use earth resistance and save scumming. The mines could be triky for a low level party,you would need a lot of kaiting and hiding behind wooden polls. Also try to go for a merchant skill at the start,it will save you a lot of money early on.Also if you go for a light side make sure to win five times at knight difficulty in the arena while you are under level 5. It is a lot easier to finish later quest that way and it will make you some starting capital.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Better drop the thief for an archer.
And pick perception and disarm traps for him?

Stealing is useless in this game or what?
Only perception is useful for spotting hidden doors and such. Disarm trap is nice but not that useful,just save before opening chests with low health and reload if someone dies,also heal to middle health before opening. Stealing i have never used in my life,don't even know what it does. Alchemy and ID monsters is useless,never used a potion in the game outside of black ones,you can buy them later on in the game,if you save scum before entering a alchemy shops you can get maxed on potions in a few months. Normally at the start of the game i go for 4 points in trading before selling or buying any items or skills. That way you don't have micro to the guy with the most trade for a some time. Learning is a good skill,try to level it up at the same time to have a relevantly same level party if you care for balance. Repair and ID items are pretty good skills,also meditation for a wizard. It is good to save money in the game,later on the levelling becomes very expensive. From the spells,air is the best in my opinion,i hunt dragons with auto spark later on ;). At the beginning go for utility skills and maybe armour. Also have bows on everyone as early as possible,it is one of the most useful weapons.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you do to kill it through save scumming?
You don't savescum to kill it, you savescum looting it. Sometimes the body doesn't disappear after you loot, which lets you loot again. So people will save, loot, reload if the body disappears, save if it doesn't, and so on.

You might as well hex edit your saves if you're going that path.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh, that. Jesus. God no.

How can you kill it though? I tried it using the fire wand but never succeeded.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you do to kill it through save scumming?
You don't savescum to kill it, you savescum looting it. Sometimes the body doesn't disappear after you loot, which lets you loot again. So people will save, loot, reload if the body disappears, save if it doesn't, and so on.

You might as well hex edit your saves if you're going that path.
I do relaod it until it drops a useful artefact :) ,savescumming for more will break the game.

Oh, that. Jesus. God no.

How can you kill it though? I tried it using the fire wand but never succeeded.
Run in circles and shoot,you just have to time the intervals right. The dragon shoot and then moves sideways after that,you have to run while shooting and shoot at it while it is moving. Also it is nice to save a few times during the fight so you don't loose 10 minutes of progress,there is nice hill in the cave that you can save more safely.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The opening of MM7 is such a decline compared to MM6.
In MM6 there are several nearby dungeon to explore, as well as the overland, and several places to travel to, and a decent sized town to explore.
In MM7 you kill a dragon which is much weaker than a dragon should be.

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
weapon crafting?!

Never understood the love for Acromage tbh. If it had been a collectible card game, I would have liked it more, but so I just asked myself everytime I played Acromage "hold on, why don't I just fire up Shandalar instead?" (which eventually happened most of the time). I even preferred the poor man's black jack from Kotor 1.

Black

Arcane
You don't really craft, you give ore to npcs and they give you an item.

Yeah, ore is just random shit.
You can also steal from shops in MM7. Just go into shop, press Ctrl and click item you want to steal.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You don't really craft, you give ore to npcs and they give you an item.
Shitty items to be more precise. Never bothered with the ore,not even worth to sell the items. I pumped all the ore in the rings and the other miscellaneous items.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The beginning and the small dungeons were definite decline.
But MM7 did have Acromage and some fun weapon crafting.
The skill system was also improved. Even though I think MM6 is much superior overall, one should still give credit to MM7 where it's due. And Arcomage was awesome.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
so about mm8:
does main character get more xp than rest? My plan was to play duo character from beginning and not care about those lvl 50 heroes.

My vampire recruited dark elf and both were lvl 5. Same learning skill.
Now my vampire is lvl 30 while dark elf is 23. Ive soaked a lot of horseshoes on that weakling as he had to cover way more skills. I think I'm gonna rage quit. I didnt remember this issue when i played long time ago.
I never noticed such thing. Maybe learning skill or different classes needing different XP amount or promotions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom