Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Here's how stupid they are. Look how they used the word "evolve."

Right from the goddamn dictionary:

verb (used with object), e·volved, e·volv·ing.
to develop gradually: to evolve a scheme.
to give off or emit, as odors or vapors.
verb (used without object), e·volved, e·volv·ing.
to come forth gradually into being; develop; undergo evolution: The whole idea evolved from a casualremark.
Biology . to develop by a process of evolution to a different adaptive state or condition: The humanspecies evolved from an ancestor that was probably arboreal.

Though I will admit, their games do give off a certain odor. :smug:

imweasel

Is that Mac Walters moron still lead writer?

Bioware is not a learning animal.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Hey look, the galaxy map theme is used at the beginning of that video, and the Vigil theme is used at the end of that video. I'm getting mixed messages here. These dopes cry about artistic integrity and entitled fans, and yet their actions indicate that they're well aware that 2 and 3 were forgettable piles of dogshit. Why attempt to cause you fans to feel nostalgic about Mass Effect if 2 and 3 were the true artistic evolution of your vision.

I'm mad, bro

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Biowar iz tha best cumpuny evur. Dey listun to deir fans! Waifu romance! Homos! Much immershun!
super-retard.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
"New places, new characters... new, uh, people to fall in love with"
"Fans of the series are going to be surprised at just how far are we going [generic monster roar from editor]"

Turjan

Arcane
Technically, I think they didn't have sex with Rachni queens yet. Repopulate the galaxy with cute little Shepherd-faced rachnis.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Right. The reapers couldn't be defeated by conventional means, so the only logical way to wrap up the story was with the most ridiculous and far-fetched deus ex machina I've ever seen in fiction. He's right about one thing, though. ME2 was completely pointless to the series as a whole. You can literally jump from ME1 to ME3 and not miss anything.

What's kind of sad is that they probably could have been defeated by conventional means if ME2 had actually been about something. If you spent that game convincing people the reapers were real using the wide array of evidence at your disposal, getting the various factions to build more ships and prepare for the invasion, and researched more advanced weapons and shields effective against reapers using not only the remains of Sovereign but also that one dead reaper floating around a star rather than going on a pointless scavenger hunt, then maybe the third game could have actually focused around a military campaign with Shepard struggling to keep the alliance together while also being deployed on dangerous missions since he's a superhero, with the climactic final battle over Earth and Shepard needing to get into the citadel to re-enable the mass relays (which the reapers were supposed to shut off according to the first game) to allow reinforcements to show up. It would bookend the series nicely because that's more or less how the first game ended, except this time the stakes are much higher.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Right. The reapers couldn't be defeated by conventional means, so the only logical way to wrap up the story was with the most ridiculous and far-fetched deus ex machina I've ever seen in fiction. He's right about one thing, though. ME2 was completely pointless to the series as a whole. You can literally jump from ME1 to ME3 and not miss anything.

What's kind of sad is that they probably could have been defeated by conventional means if ME2 had actually been about something. If you spent that game convincing people the reapers were real using the wide array of evidence at your disposal, getting the various factions to build more ships and prepare for the invasion, and researched more advanced weapons and shields effective against reapers using not only the remains of Sovereign but also that one dead reaper floating around a star rather than going on a pointless scavenger hunt, then maybe the third game could have actually focused around a military campaign with Shepard struggling to keep the alliance together while also being deployed on dangerous missions since he's a superhero, with the climactic final battle over Earth and Shepard needing to get into the citadel to re-enable the mass relays (which the reapers were supposed to shut off according to the first game) to allow reinforcements to show up. It would bookend the series nicely because that's more or less how the first game ended, except this time the stakes are much higher.

I'd argue that jumping from 1 to 3 is better for continuity as well with examples such as it making more sense for Liara to be working in a prothean site than that moronic shadow broker sub-plot from 2 that was against her ME1 characterization and with Cerberus and the Geth being more consistent enemies.

ME2 is just so bizarrely out of place with it's sheer pointlessness and the whole working for Cerberus bit that ultimately meant absolutely nothing.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

And yet, ME2 was probably the best game in the series - most unique and memorable characters, most character development, most choices with consequences (that affect ME2 anyway) etc. My personal opinion is that they wanted a trilogy, shoehorned in ME2 as filler and accidentally created something rather awesome - by Bioware standards anyway.
Right. The reapers couldn't be defeated by conventional means, so the only logical way to wrap up the story was with the most ridiculous and far-fetched deus ex machina I've ever seen in fiction.
"Hey, I'm an AI hell bent on the destruction/assimilation of all organic life in the galaxy, but since you're here...wanna use one of these lovely win buttons that make no sense for me to have?" It's like the Death Star asking Luke Skywalker, "Want to blow me up? Yes? No?"

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
And yet, ME2 was probably the best game in the series - most unique and memorable characters, most character development, most choices with consequences (that affect ME2 anyway) etc. My personal opinion is that they wanted a trilogy, shoehorned in ME2 as filler and accidentally created something rather awesome - by Bioware standards anyway.
ME2 is OK outside the beginning and ending, if you ignore the obvious logical problems like Cerberus sticking their logo on everything or Shepard not being able to figure out what to do with an intact reaper corpse. The characters are a mixed bag, but there definitely are good ones.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

ME2 is OK outside the beginning and ending, if you ignore the obvious logical problems like Cerberus sticking their logo on everything
Eh, it's the same kind of sci fi schtick that has joker falling in love with the ship's AI. None of the missions we undertook required us to pretend we weren't Cerberus and besides, Cerberus is apparently such a powerhouse with so many connections that it can afford to operate nearly openly.
or Shepard not being able to figure out what to do with an intact reaper corpse.
Not sure I understand... What was he supposed to do with it?
The characters are a mixed bag, but there definitely are good ones.
Miranda was my least favorite, but Mordin was fantastic and Grunt had his moments. I liked how Jacob ends up cheating on the female player. :lol: Rather ballsy of Bioware, but it seemed in-character for Jacob. There's some real :butthurt: on Youtube over it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6orc7Zg9CvU

Hitokiri Akins said:
You philandering cocksucker! I want to stab you in the fucking brain for what you did, you worthless fuck, Jacob! I hate people who cheat on others, especially those who cheat when their significant other is "away", like what my best friend's soon to be ex-wife did to him. I prefer Shepard's angry reaction; it's the only one that's real. Fuck Jacob with a rusty spike.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ME2 is OK outside the beginning and ending, if you ignore the obvious logical problems like Cerberus sticking their logo on everything or Shepard not being able to figure out what to do with an intact reaper corpse. The characters are a mixed bag, but there definitely are good ones.

How should have BioWare approached those topics then in ME2?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Well it's pretty easy to change. Why not make a "gather the ultimate team" story, except working for the alliance or council (fuck the whole you died and came back to life crap just to reset the stats). Make the overall goal gathering info on the reapers.... which makes you run into Cerberus.... which makes you work for them as a double agent (or betray council). Have the main enemy remain as bug men, just make them come into the story a little bit later. Explain the absence of your old companions due to duty, you were the only Specter after all. They could have had you checking out a map they found after repairing a part of Sovereign (a black box or some shit), which could lead you to wherever the fuck. There is tons of ways to make you not work for mystery/shadow/obscure/evil man.

Xor

Arcane

How should have BioWare approached those topics then in ME2?
I don't care about what they should have done, only what they did. And I'm certainly not going to fix all their bad ideas for them.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ME2 was completely pointless to the series as a whole. You can literally jump from ME1 to ME3 and not miss anything.

It's actually the other way around. You can literally just play ME2 - the only entertaining entry in the series - and skip the pointless ME1 and 3. :M

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Mass Effect 2 is inherently flawed because the entire game I was screaming "I don't want to be in fucking Cerberus!" A game about choice forcing that decision on you was absolutely retarded to the core. My ME1 character would have immediately shot Jacob and Miranda in the head the minute he woke up.

Also it's a large collection of extremely linear missions, which is boring.

Lhynn

Arcane
ME2 was completely pointless to the series as a whole. You can literally jump from ME1 to ME3 and not miss anything.

It's actually the other way around. You can literally just play ME2 - the only entertaining entry in the series - and skip the pointless ME1 and 3. :M
I agree on ME2 having better gameplay than 1 and much better characters and story than ME3. Despite of that i feel ME1 is the stronger game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom