Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No. Dude. Asari and Collectors. Of course you can't pick collectors, so definitely Salarians then.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd pick to get rid of Mass Effect 2 and 3. Give them a do-over to try telling the story again.

Tytus

Arcane
Showed a line-up of the series' main races, and asked fans to pick two if they had to get rid of them. Most picked Quarian and Krogan.

I would have picked humans and asari.
I would have picked asari twice.

What? No! If Asari weren't in the game how would I get Samara - my blue Asari waifu with huge boobs! If anything Bioware should start producing Asari body pillows!

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Ever heard of "talimancers"? Anyway one idea about ME came to my mind, wouldn't it be cool if xenophilia in the ME universe was an exclusively human thing, and aliens would make fun of us (or be grossed out) because of that. That would be more interesting than an "everyone wants to fuck everyone" universe.

Tytus

Arcane
Next Mass Effect needs to have a female Turian love interest for the male player. I mean just look at those mandibles, but getting a blowjob from one of them would be a little scary. If I can't fuck a Turian in the next one I'm not playing. I already fucked an Asari and a Quarian. The series has to innovate!

Though why the question which races would you get rid of? They don't have a large enough budget to bring everyone back or something? Maybe creating two additional faces per race is a strain on their resources :troll:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Talimancers are freaks, but Tali is just one member of the quarian species. The Asari on the other hand have no reason to exist other than to be a wank-fantasy for nerds. Even by space opera standards it's a ridiculous species.

DraQ

Arcane
Talimancers are freaks, but Tali is just one member of the quarian species. The Asari on the other hand have no reason to exist other than to be a wank-fantasy for nerds. Even by space opera standards it's a ridiculous species.
This.
I actually considered getting ME1 back when it was relatively new (dudebro collar grabbing Shepard did a lot to dissuade me, admittedly), but then I learned about ass-ari and went:
QR8zo5J.gif

If anything Bioware should start producing Asari body pillows!
Stuffed with explosives, yes.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
ME series have one thing that in my eyes redeem at least part of gaider-like romanc faggotry. You can perform xenocide. Not in Warhammer 40k scale, but still you can doom entire race race to extinction, you can sell aliens to Cerberus, force aliens to be your cannon fodder, promising them lies about cure while unleasing new dose of biological weapons upon them and do stuff like that. Asari? Treat them like shit. Quarians? They are gypsies. Krogans are futuristic niggers. Salarians are fun to kill. Turians are generic militants and boring, yet you can mock them, when using your power to break the law and get away with it.

Lhynn

Arcane
ME series have one thing that in my eyes redeem at least part of gaider-like romanc faggotry. You can perform xenocide. Not in Warhammer 40k scale, but still you can doom entire race race to extinction, you can sell aliens to Cerberus, force aliens to be your cannon fodder, promising them lies about cure while unleasing new dose of biological weapons upon them and do stuff like that. Asari? Treat them like shit. Quarians? They are gypsies. Krogans are futuristic niggers. Salarians are fun to kill. Turians are generic militants and boring, yet you can mock them, when using your power to break the law and get away with it.
yet its so awfully executed that its to not either fun or meaningful in any way.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This thread is making me

3129143-shepard-waaaa2qrjs.gif

Also, this game is going to suck, guaranteed.

Bioware lost it's way. They forgot how to be humble and ambitious. Since EAssimilation, they have become edgy and arrogant. This will just be another bland 3rd person shooter with inflated drama and embarrassing social commentary.

eremita

Savant
This thread is making me

Bioware lost it's way. They forgot how to be humble and ambitious. Since EAssimilation, they have become edgy and arrogant. This will just be another bland 3rd person shooter with inflated drama and embarrassing social commentary.
I hope it won't be just a shooter! Snice Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex, I would love to see a game with different approach options. Stealth/Shooting/Silent killing etc. But on the other hand, that collide with party based game...

Caim

Arcane
This thread is making me

I hope it won't be just a shooter! Snice Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex, I would love to see a game with different approach options. Stealth/Shooting/Silent killing etc. But on the other hand, that collide with party based game...
"I'm Commander Shepard, and I never asked for this."

hiver

Arent you a happy little shit slurper rolling in it eh?

getting off on mass defect... geee... thats a new one.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm looking forward to anything BioWare is going to squeeze out. BTE rolled down into SJW derp, Bethesda is quiet and this thread is just featuring re-runs. Fresh lulz are needed.

DraQ

Arcane

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Better to aim for a limited audience willing to read than to dumb down your game for a wide release to the point where it's no longer recognizable as an RPG. Or at least that's what I'd like to believe.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
And that's why you should always default to standard text window dialogue unless you're absolutely sure you can cinefag and VO *everything* you can possibly want for your game.

The only drawback is that it requires player to be functionally literate.
I think at this point, making the player read much more than a few lines is fundamentally incompatible with big triple-A games - not so much the budgets and sales themselves directly, but rather the entire organization behind production of such games. I can't remember the last such game that didn't have even narration for journal notes, etc. The closest thing is uh, Bethesda games, but all the dialogue is still voiced, and most of the notes etc. can be skipped by your average player.

And I think we all know that excluding the illiterate isn't possible to hit those big sales numbers - at least in the eyes of the people making the decisions for the development studio.

BioWare (as a studio, the people there are another story) doesn't want to make RPGs anymore, not really. It wants to make a particular brand of action game with a bit of customization and heavy focus on a semi-interactive storyline. You can see the legacy of real RPGs in its games but the studio is long, long done making them anymore. Those working at BioWare may want to include as much RPG in those action games as possible, but ultimately they are going to be limited by the overall vision the company has and the sales targets that EA insists on meeting.

Because modern development at a big studio is so heavily regulated, managed, and compartmentalized, with 50 different tiers of team leads, producers, management, etc. it's impossible to "just do it". Everything has to be discussed and approved for weeks at every level, all design and ideas and narrative content must be locked down months and months before work ever begins on content creation, and the bite-sized pieces of work people deal with are so tiny and insignificant that nobody but the project lead and a few other high-up team members have any say in how the game turns out. If your 10 different bosses say you have to do it, you do it, and vice-versa. And if you're a newly-hired nobody right out of a game development school, do you really think you're gonna want to rock the boat by suggesting too many new ideas or telling people theirs suck, or just keep quiet and do your job, and hope to make a good impression?

Ultimately this leads to a lack of passion and an emotional disconnect between the developers and the game they're working on, which in turn results in a lot of bland, uninteresting and uncreative games, with little personality or innovation (which traditionally in RPGs has been the result of hard-working, obsessive individuals and small teams trusted with ideas and implementation). And if a project lead either is or has to answer to a "corporate master" that ultimately decides what gets put in the game or not, well, how do you think the game is going to turn out?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure the people working there are out of synch with the corporate goal. At least not the managers. They post on their forums and answer interview questions with the same general outlook consistently: "we like RPGs but you can't make an RPG with our sales goals." Even if they're repeating the EA message like a politician does his talking points they still at least passively agree since they continue to work there when kickstarter and smaller companies have shown they could be doing other things successfully.

It's especially annoying when a lot of what they insist is required... full voice for the player character, no real choices blocking off content, cinematic cutscenes being required, etc... isn't present in games that sell much better than theirs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom