Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Doesn't make sense like the rest of this setting if you stop masturbating over Shepard/Blue Elf Space Chicks for a moment and pay attention to details... Like Heat Sinks/Ammo... Or Dark Matter... or Why Reapers Needed Suvereign and Collectors when they could overrun all resistance anyway only 2 years later; etc...

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What I don't understand is this cycle has been going on for millennia, yet all the other reapers we saw looked like space cockroaches. Why then build one that specifically looks like a human? Doesn't make sense.

Well I explained it already. Because boss battle.

Doesn't make sense like the rest of this setting if you stop masturbating over Shepard/Blue Elf Space Chicks for a moment and pay attention to details... Like Heat Sinks/Ammo... Or Dark Matter... or Why Reapers Needed Suvereign and Collectors when they could overrun all resistance anyway only 2 years later; etc...

Altough the collectors are retarded, the idea here is that because the reapers need to wipe out the galaxy over and over, they want to minimize casualties so as not to risk losing against a particularly powerful cycle. And they would do this with the advantage of the citadel relay first, and then backup second.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
or Why Reapers Needed Suvereign and Collectors when they could overrun all resistance anyway only 2 years later; etc...

This is quite the plot hole. If the whole idea was a surprise attack because taking on all of the races was not feasible, then why the fuck ME3? It made ME1 pointless plot wise.

Fuck EA/Bioware.

2house2fly

Magister
In a game whose plot is full of parent/child relationship problems there's something kind of funny about the fact that you end it by killing a giant foetus.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
In a game whose plot is full of parent/child relationship problems there's something kind of funny about the fact that you end it by killing a giant foetus.

something something *Insert abortion analogy* something something

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
78255_antonchigurh.jpg

Caim

Arcane
I love that Rainbow Vega image, if just for the fact that he's pretty much the only dude on the Normandy with whom BroShep cannot engage in the homosex or have homoerotic subtext.

Shepard is an idea. :what:
Ideas are bulletproof.

Well, not really bulletproof. They just go sit behind a chest-high wall for a few seconds and they are regenerated to full health.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

What I don't understand is this cycle has been going on for millennia, yet all the other reapers we saw looked like space cockroaches. Why then build one that specifically looks like a human? Doesn't make sense.

According to a dev twitter post or something, it's supposed to be the core of one of those space cockroach chassis things. Now, why a core of a ship would need arms, eyes, a beam canon or even need to resemble anything since nobody is going to see it, well....idunno.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
According to a dev twitter post or something, it's supposed to be the core of one of those space cockroach chassis things. Now, why a core of a ship would need arms, eyes, a beam canon or even need to resemble anything since nobody is going to see it, well....idunno.
Mass-Effect-2-Boss-Rush.jpg

WhiteGuts

Arcane
So I've finished Ass Effect 1. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi stuff (and space operas in particular) so that's why it took me so long to get into that. And I must say that I liked it.

Stuff I loved :

- The game world, Bioware did a very good job of creating a "believable" universe. Immurshun was had. The game codex (heh) was a neat idea.
- The gameplay was very okay, you could feel the power of your weapons with the different mods and shit, and the different powers you could use were very cool. The combat was actually challenging on veteran.
- Very good soundtrack. And I absolutely loved the fact that ever line of dialogue was voice-acted.
- The story was very Hollywood-esque, but it was well done.
- Solid companions.
- The different classes, I guess.

Stuff I didn't like :

- Dialogues. They were poor, no real choices.
- Side quests. It was basically the same missions with some slight changes. A good thing the game wasn't longer than ~30 hours.

The RPG elements as a whole weren't great, and maybe it's because I wasn't expecting much due to my Bioware-EA negative bias, but the game suprised me in a good way. I'd give it a :3/5:

Now you can all hate me.:love:

Altough the collectors are retarded, the idea here is that because the reapers need to wipe out the galaxy over and over, they want to minimize casualties so as not to risk losing against a particularly powerful cycle. And they would do this with the advantage of the citadel relay first, and then backup second.

It's also an example of why, structurally, where a story takes place in a setting with a deep history, it's often better to leave the 'larger than human' stuff in the background instead of bringing in all the biggest baddest characters the setting refers to, like a 'Lord of the Rings 2: Ring HARDER' where the heroes have to fight the REAL villain behind the scenes, Morgoth!!!

You could make a better ME story by leaving all the Reaper stuff (the idea of repeating cycles, that they might comes back one day and kill everything) in the background as things you can piece together, while keeping the plot focussed on antagonists with more recognisable motivations (perhaps wanting to utilise reaper tech - not that it should be called that - to indoctrinate the governing bodies of other planets, etc).

WhiteGuts

Arcane
You could make a better ME story by leaving all the Reaper stuff (the idea of repeating cycles, that they might comes back one day and kill everything) in the background as things you can piece together, while keeping the plot focussed on antagonists with more recognisable motivations (perhaps wanting to utilise reaper tech - not that it should be called that - to indoctrinate the governing bodies of other planets, etc).

Yes but on the other hand you need to justify the hardships the MC goes through. I mean if Shepard didn't know about the Reapers and shit, the game could've ended when he was put aside. He had no reason to steal the ship if it wasn't for the Reapers. You need to have that sensation of impending doom to drive the story forward.

It's also an example of why, structurally, where a story takes place in a setting with a deep history, it's often better to leave the 'larger than human' stuff in the background instead of bringing in all the biggest baddest characters the setting refers to, like a 'Lord of the Rings 2: Ring HARDER' where the heroes have to fight the REAL villain behind the scenes, Morgoth!!!

That is exactly what went wrong with the classic World of Darkness. As long as the gehenna/end of days metaplot was in the background, it was quite good. but when the metaplot became primary focus it lost quite a bit of its charm...and the ending was concluding scenarios were fucked up.

Brinko

Arcane
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721736
Bumperoony. Posting this here because there's no way to gauge it's reliability, and could very easily be totally made up, but here's a dude describing the private Mass Effect meetings BioWare held with a handful of select fans at recent PAX events.

So long story short I saw that tweet from Mike Gamble a few weeks ago that said "...if you love Mass Effect and are going to PAX Prime email me..." And so I did and then I stumbled upon this forum of like-minded people and thought I'd make an account in case there was something shown to support IT; cause if you're like me waiting for something, anything, is painful enough. Needless to say I was one of the 21 people that got to give feedback on the concepts as they showed them and gave us tiny cryptic bits of information.

So I'll start by saying that they did show us a metric shit-ton of concept art with very brief explanations. I don't even know of a logical order to start in.

They started off with the profound question of what N7 means to us which you might read into it not being a previous cycle I guess.

Then this was followed by asking us whether we wanted a direct sequel, a prequel, or something somewhere completely different at a different time. The resounding majority wanted a sequel series, which I think they knew already. And this is based completely off of my opinion but by judging the concept art it has absolutely got to be a sequel.

First concepts were of two new races. The first one being described as "Arrogant". They were really skinny, almost skeletal. Their bodies vaguely looked like a boney Turian. They had glowing eyes and a neck that frilled up from their chest (once they show it off you'll see how hard it is to describe. Their heads almost remind me of the aliens from Independence Day. The second new race was described as "Ancient, Advanced, and Guardian". They had a similar color scheme to reapers and they looked like classic fantasy/sci-fi golems. Sleek rocky or metallic bodies with bright glowing lines flowing all over them. Some had fragmented pieces and shattered bits floating in place around them.

So I'm thinking sequel because new races are kind of hard to explain in a prequel especially when it does take place in the current cycle and I definitely know that for sure because the next few things they showed us were really nice cg models of an asari, salarian, human, and krogan running in the new frostbite engine. They looked amazing by the way. Also they stated that, like humans having many different features from each other, they wanted to do that with other races. That showed off some salarians and krogans with interesting face and bone structures. They also asked an odd but hard question for everyone. They showed a lineup of a character from each main race in the series and asked us which two would we get rid of if we had to. I couldn't do it but I was sadly surprised at how many people said quarian and krogan.

Anyways, they showed off a random human model wearing various armors and configurations asking us what we liked and thought was potentially iconic. They also showed us a slew of land vehicles that would serve for different environments. And the most interesting vehicle was a personal sized Normandy-esque ship that could "fit a mako-like vehicle in it". So the new races mingling with the old ones and a ship that looks like normandy architecture, sounds like sequel material to me. They said that as always characters and choices are most important and that they want to focus on exploration and discovery again. And then they finished by showing off too many concept art screens in rapid succession for me to be able to grasp anything. Just a whole lot of beautiful and interesting landscapes.

So that's that, I know it didn't quite answer any of our IT questions but if you're like me and have been holding out for 4 holding the answer to IT and the original endings of some dark matter stuff then the fact that this is most likely a sequel is great. And honestly what they showed us was absolutely amazing and I can't wait either way, I just love this universe so much. Thank you all for checking this out.

Summary:
- Opened with "What does N7 mean to you?"
- Asked if they'd like to see a sequel, prequel, or something different. Overwhelming majority said sequel.
- "Arrogant" race. Thin and skeletal. Glowing eyes. Necks that "frilled up from their chest".
- "Ancient, advanced, guardian" race. Like sci-fi stone golems with Tron-like glowing lines over their bodies and floating fragments/shards.
- Asari, Salarian, Human, and Krogam shown in Frostbite 3.
- Want to bring across the model variety of human models to other races, giving them more diverse bone structure.
- Showed a line-up of the series' main races, and asked fans to pick two if they had to get rid of them. Most picked Quarian and Krogan. Speculation: The game has multiple playable races in campaign, and BioWare wants feedback on which they should be.
- Multiple human armour configurations shown. Asked which would be most iconic. Speculation: Marketing query, to work out what should be on the box.
- Multiple land vehicles shown.
- Focus is on character sand choices, but they want to bring back the focus on exploration and discovery.

EDIT: More.

They didn't show any female krogans to my remembrance, there were several various head configurations with face plating on the forehead, jaw line, and chin.

They looked very synthetic, give a typical rock golem the Tron Legacy makeover and you've got it. Reaper color scheme though. Kind of like Sylux from Metroid Bounty Hunters; slightly less robotic in appearance.

They did say that exploration and story are very important and that one of their goals to strive for was "a stranger in a strange land like ME1" I think that's the way Mike Gamble worded it.

Also you reminded me of the thing about save customization. Mike did mention that they were looking into leaving a kind of debugging-like menu in the game for picking plot flags when making a save file so you can have the exact file you want without having to do another crazy long playthrough or going through a really limited motion comic.

Also off topic, something else I remembered that was mentioned but not shown. They really want to do crazy customizable armor. Down to different pieces, colors, textures, materials, and whatnot.

Caim

Arcane
Cautious optimism. But please don't let them cock it up by adding Reapers 2.0 in the sequel. Just return to roots: have the player be James Bond in space with a ship full of badass people and exotic aliens.

Lhynn

Arcane
Cautious pessimism, please try to make it at least an enjoyable piece of shit like ass effect 2 was, because frankly ive lost hope that youll ever do anything as good as ME1.

Brinko

Arcane
Well DA:I will be the real indicator of quality because if there are major technical problems with them not being good enough to use Frostbite 3 to any real effectiveness then that should be a red flag that ME4 is just another turd in bioware's clogged toilet.

eremita

Savant
http://dgaider.tumblr.com/post/67695026365/on-game-writing-nuts-and-bolts-part-5
Horrible stuff. This is why high budgets are killing RPGs and why Bioware won't make anything good ever again.
Yep, It's sad. Combined with the rumors that DA2 had to be done in 10 months (majority of development in 8 months) and you've got the rough idea about what's it like to work for EA/Activision etc...

Well, they've got a lot of extra development time for DAI and obviously a bigger budget. Maybe the suits are finally coming to senses...

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Showed a line-up of the series' main races, and asked fans to pick two if they had to get rid of them. Most picked Quarian and Krogan.

I would have picked humans and asari.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom