Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Lone Wolf Gamebooks Thread

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Someone was doing this in a forum somewhere. Looks like good fun but a very lenghty endeavor.

They started a years ago and still haven't finished yet (15, 80 pages threads after).

Since this is the codex, lone wolf would end up as a woman hating (already is) white supremacist (already is).

BTW anyone managed to make the Nintendo DS conversions working in emulators?

riptide

Scholar
I can start the first book on a Nintendo DS emulator called No$gba version 2.6a. Did not try to get past character creation but it starts fine.

zeitgeist

Magister
SCO said:
Someone was doing this in a forum somewhere. Looks like good fun but a very lenghty endeavor.

They started a years ago and still haven't finished yet (15, 80 pages threads after).
This LP on the PA board perhaps?

edit: there's also a pretty lengthy one at rpg.net that spans multiple threads.

I have a lot of those books somewhere in my dusty bookcase. Got them in a little used bookstore that doesn't exist anymore for about 10 cents apiece. I love 'em.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Gragt said:
Oh, and Way of the Tiger too!
God damn it, you just reminded me how much I raged when I found out Way of the Tiger would never be completed. And of course it just HAD to be cancelled at the end of the one book with the HUMONGOUS cliffhanger.

I only played the Lone Wolf books up to Caverns of Kalte. They were good fun, in some ways better than Way of the Tiger (which was way too unfair sometimes). I downloaded the books from Project Aeon ages ago but never had the time to go through them all.

Andhaira

Arcane
I'm running a pbp game of Lone Wolf using the new rpg rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Sceptic said:
Gragt said:
I only played the Lone Wolf books up to Caverns of Kalte. They were good fun, in some ways better than Way of the Tiger (which was way too unfair sometimes). I downloaded the books from Project Aeon ages ago but never had the time to go through them all.

The first LW books are nice, mainly thanks to the rather grim and well-done setting, but the next ones are much better when it comes to exploration and use of disciplines.

kaizoku

Arcane
Wasn't there a website where you could play this game?

I'm 99% certain I had visited such a thing some months ago, but I can't recall the damn thing.

kaizoku

Arcane
I was failing at browsing...
I was seeing DL books but didn't hover at the other links.
http://www.projectaon.org/staff/eric/ <- includes chart on another pane for convenience

in any case either there was another site or they revamped the whole interface.
I'm pretty sure the other site was using a different interface and with other colors (black & red)

BTW, what's the hivemind opinion on these?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I should read/play them again, but as far as gamebooks go, Lone Wolf is badass. Some books are better than others, with some relying a bit too much on cheap tricks like some choices leading to certain death along the way with no clue about that, but even for those the writing is consistantly good and the Lone World world is fun to explore and discover. The system where you chose your various skills is also fun, though some are more important than others, but still there are time when lesser skills can be useful too, and the continuity between all the books really makes you part of a grand story. I can't speak for the hivemind but it is certainly recommended if you like gamebooks.

Arikel

Novice
I still got some of the lone wolf paper backs hanging around. It was the first game book series i encountered where you could bring your character forward to other books in the series, which I thought was really awesome. It also has a pretty good backstory for the world and the lore thought out, better than your average fantasy setting in my opinion., good to read just to find out more about it.

Phelot

Arcane
These are a lot of fun even if the AWESOME sword (forget its name) kind of makes it way too easy, combat wise. Great writing and pics and also full of "FUUUUUU" moments. Great to play when you're suppose to be working.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
You probably were looking for Seventh Sense, a kind of "Engine" to play Lone Wolf books:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/david/

You can play first 12 books in it.

And yeah, Sommerswerd really is an Awesome sword, and later in the series you become nearly an unstoppable behemot with the right items. But the game is still fun and a good time waster.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I ran a great pnp game of it on Rpol 9 years ago that lasted around 2 years using the d20 rules by Mongoose.

Anyone know what happened to the video game being made of the ip?

Erebus

Arcane
The Sommerswerd completely unbalanced the series, since you only get it if you've played the second book, yet the later books had to be playable by people who had not. The über-sword makes fights that would otherwise be challenging easy (it also protects you against magic, double damages against undeads, works against enemies immune to normal weapons, etc.). There are two fights in the series that become more difficult (to the point of being almost impossible) when you have the Sommerswerd, though.

All in all, I'd say the first five books are the best ones, as the series later becomes a bit repetitive. The books also tend to be fairly linear (except for the very first one).

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Another thing I didn't like about the later books is that all previous skills become obsolete... So if I had healing that restored 1HP for every non-combat scene in the first five books and then I ascend to the rank of the master (or whatever it was), I can only heal if I have Super-Duper Healing, and regular healing is useless. Yeah, I get it that by that point you have maxed out basic abilities, but it's still jarring. Incidentally, the first book of the Grandmastery series (let's call it that) features a return of the "take a wrong turn and die instantly" that was a symptom of the first book or two but was toned down significantly in books 3-5 iirc. Still, a good time waster, would play again.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, I didn't like the whole super skills either and how they were handled. Felt like I had my character reset.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I think there is an encounter with a Chaos God or something when you're in the other world where the Sommerswerd is more detrimental than beneficial.

Also in the same universe but another author, Grey Star the Wizard is worth a read. I was in love with Tanid when I was a kid. The Forbidden City and Beyond the Nightmare Gate were creepy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom