Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The List of Incline (Now with a poll)

Which of these games are you looking forward to? (multiple responses allowed)

• Total voters

Lhynn

Arcane
Why? Because I don't enjoy a game that requires butting your head against a wall countless times until you figure out the correct tactic and order the enemies come in, or pattern a boss fights in? I understand why people like the game, but it's not my thing at all.
Because climbing a mountain feels better than climbing a hill i guess, and because this mountain is actually interesting and fun. where it was made has no relevance as long as its good.
I can understand that the game is not for you, but it is a cRPG and it is worthy of praise.
I still wouldnt put Dark Souls 2 on the list just yet tho, i dont like what the devs have had to say about this new game.

How does it fail to be a RPG? it has everything most so called RPGs have.

Rake

Arcane
You answered your own question.
Also action combat, console UI etc.
You can tell me what it has that you consider it a GOOD RPG though. I don't want to turn this into a "what is an RPG" BS, so let's say it is one. What makes it a GOOD :obviously:RPG?

Lhynn

Arcane
You answered your own question.
Also action combat, console UI etc.
You can tell me what it has that you consider it a GOOD RPG though. I don't want to turn this into a "what is an RPG" BS, so let's say it is one. What makes it a GOOD :obviously:RPG?
character progression and the fact that most forms of playstyles work and feel wildly different? or that you can carve your path in the world, good or evil, that you can interact with other characters, kill them or help them. That you can choose to help or hinder other players as you see fit.
That the world is huge and rich and you can go wherever you want to provided you are skillful or powerful enough to survive.
Believe or not you have a lot of freedom to affect other NPCs. Another characteristics that good rpgs share is that knowing the game can make it easier, knowing the world, knowing how to grow, knowing your enemies.
That you get to fight a dragon and it actually feels memorable?

It is, in a way, as good as an RPG can get, Wouldnt call it a pure rpg, but its closer to one than any triple A release in the past decade.

Rake

Arcane
Wouldnt call it a pure rpg, but its closer to one than any triple A release in the past decade.
Seems we agree. As for better RPGs in the last decade, Mask of the Betrayer, VtM:Bloodlines, and personaly i would put even DA:O with all it's faults above it.
Witchers are the same shit overal, you like them or DS more depending if you are a storyfag or combatfag. DS strenght is it's combat, but the action element kills it as RPG combat. Character progression and the fact that most forms of playstyles work and feel wildly different can be said for Diablo 3 as well. That's why for me DS is more of an ARPG.
Nothing wrong with liking it realy, but if you look the other games in the thread, it sticks out.

Why? Because I don't enjoy a game that requires butting your head against a wall countless times until you figure out the correct tactic and order the enemies come in, or pattern a boss fights in? I understand why people like the game, but it's not my thing at all.

This does not describe Dark Souls at all (or most action games that aren't either shit or some insane romhack).

Most of the tactics can be figured out on the fly and the mental framework for doing so should be developed after a few hours in the game. This means that one is only going to be relying on trial and error if they are bad at the game. And the game throws precious few "surprises" at the aware player; whether it be scorch marks on a bridge, the tops of tree people, or visible triggers to traps, the gameworld informs the perceptive.

And bosses aren't pattern-based here. They use an AI similar to most contemporary action games in that they select moves based upon their status, position, and the player character's status/position. Bosses will use zoning attacks to get close if you try and play keep away or might use projectiles of their own. Others will use grab attacks if a player elects to turtle with a shield, bypassing guard status and dealing (heavy) damage. Most bosses, and many regular enemies, are scripted to use the most effective way of harming the player if they stop to perform a stationary action like drinking a potion or casting a long spell. This isn't Castlevania in '86; bosses have come a long way.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wouldnt call it a pure rpg, but its closer to one than any triple A release in the past decade.
Seems we agree. As for better RPGs in the last decade, Mask of the Betrayer, VtM:Bloodlines, and personaly i would put even DA:O with all it's faults above it.
Witchers are the same shit overal, you like them or DS more depending if you are a storyfag or combatfag. DS strenght is it's combat, but the action element kills it as RPG combat. Character progression and the fact that most forms of playstyles work and feel wildly different can be said for Diablo 3 as well. That's why for me DS is more of an ARPG.
Nothing wrong with liking it realy, but if you look the other games in the thread, it sticks out.

VTM has action combat too, which is just as well because "action combat" has absolutely nothing to do with whether it's a pure or good rpg or not. By this inane standard MOTB/DA aren't "pure" RPGs either because they play like strategy games, Fallout is a TBS hybrid, etc.

Lhynn

Arcane
VTM has action combat too, which is just as well because "action combat" has absolutely nothing to do with whether it's a pure or good rpg or not. By this inane standard MOTB/DA aren't "pure" RPGs either because they play like strategy games, Fallout is a TBS hybrid, etc.
Pure and good are not the same thing.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

I didn't say they are.

Lhynn

Arcane
I didn't say they are.
yes but you just stated a bunch of obvious things, i thought id do the same.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I didn't say they are.
yes but you just stated a bunch of obvious things, i thought id do the same.

I wasn't even talking to you, I was talking to Rake, to whom these things clearly aren't obvious.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, we got Expeditions: Conquistador, Shadowrun and two Grimoire demos. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom