Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Modern Nintendo cannot into art direction. First Wind Waker HD, and now this.

Nintendo's still got it. Mario Kart Wii U and Super Mario 3-D World look really, really good from an artistic standpoint. I don't think whoever is porting these games really represent the best that Nintendo can do, I'm constantly impressed by their visuals despite having access to a computer that dwarfs the Wii U hardware-wise.

I agree with you on the port, though. The original 64 version looks better, especially on high-res on an emulator. I don't think it's just rose-colored glasses. Little things like Link's legs kicking up dust while he's being dragged by Epona are just weirdly absent... there's just a lot of small, niggling things that they failed to be recapture and make a lesser product overall. Majora's Mask is just a game that really is about the ambience. That's not to say it looks like total shit or anything, just that this isn't *really* Majora's Mask.

I'm still glad they re-released it, though, and there seems to be a lot of hype around the release of this game. Hopefully it can expose some people to one of the best Zelda games in the series. I picked the game up, and have a few quibbles... but maybe I'll just bite my tongue. I'm starting to feel overly negative :)

On a side note: Irenaeus you really should give Link's Awakening a go. It's good, trust me.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
True, their Mario stuff still looks ace. I haven't played it, but Captain Toad is a very aesthetically pleasing game too.

Avellion

Erudite

Nintendo's still got it. Mario Kart Wii U and Super Mario 3-D World look really, really good from an artistic standpoint. I don't think whoever is porting these games really represent the best that Nintendo can do, I'm constantly impressed by their visuals despite having access to a computer that dwarfs the Wii U hardware-wise.

I agree with you on the port, though. The original 64 version looks better, especially on high-res on an emulator. I don't think it's just rose-colored glasses. Little things like Link's legs kicking up dust while he's being dragged by Epona are just weirdly absent... there's just a lot of small, niggling things that they failed to be recapture and make a lesser product overall. Majora's Mask is just a game that really is about the ambience. That's not to say it looks like total shit or anything, just that this isn't *really* Majora's Mask.

I'm still glad they re-released it, though, and there seems to be a lot of hype around the release of this game. Hopefully it can expose some people to one of the best Zelda games in the series. I picked the game up, and have a few quibbles... but maybe I'll just bite my tongue. I'm starting to feel overly negative :)

On a side note: Irenaeus you really should give Link's Awakening a go. It's good, trust me.

Yeah, Nintendo are composed of several teams, I dont think the Zelda guys can do art anymore, but hte mario art team is still great.

Picked it up this morning so that I could play it on my 45-minute train ride in to work.

I know that the game itself is highly regarded, and I have played a few hours of it on the Zelda Collectors' Edition disc for the Gamecube, but in all honesty the first hour or so of the game makes a very poor first impression. You can't do that much when you're stuck in the deku scrub form, you have to search the town for the fragmented fairy, then you have to search the town for those five kids (and if you happen to get this "quest" at night, you'll probably have to do it over again unless you know exactly where the kids are hiding), and after all that, you have to wait until the end of the third day to finally get to play as "human" Link.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword both fell into this trap of making the first hour or so of the game more tedious than fun. A Link Between Worlds did it right, getting you out exploring and fighting within a couple of minutes.

Yep, it can be a bit annoying to be stuck in a small area when you've just started the game but that quest does a great job of introducing you to the concept of urgency. The AAAAAAAA WE ONLY HAVE THREE DAYS TO FIX THIS HURRY UP MANG effect would lose much of its power if you were allowed to just fuck around peacefully. At least the game is merciful enough to not start the counter until you're actually out in Termina.

(during my first playthrough I kept expecting that the timer disappearing while you were inside the clock tower would be important somewhere down the line because the Mask guy is waiting there and he is smart enough to know he needs to GTFO before the three days are up, but the game apparently just treats the inside of the tower as part of Hyrule, for some reason. You'd think the point of convergence would be somewhere inside the Lost Woods, where you meet Termina's Skull Kid)

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

Link never kicked up dust while is dragged by Epona and the beginning of the game.

Honestly, i can understand if you prefer the original over the new versions, but the game has the same niggling things, is exactly as the original. Even the same weird things, like Japas playing his bass without touching the instrument.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Zelda 2 have you fighting and getting XP as soon as you leave the castle you start in.

First 30 seconds of the game:

Zelda%20II%20-%20The%20Adventure%20of%20Link%20(U).png

zelda-2.eu3.png

Legend%20of%20Zelda%202,%20The%20-%20Link%20no%20Bouken-2.png
Hold your horses, crusader. Didn't your kind cause enough trouble with your zealous desire for adventure and conquest? You have to earn your fun like a good boy these days. Games are art now, and art means waiting for the interesting stuff to happen.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
Zelda 2 have you fighting and getting XP as soon as you leave the castle you start in.

Yup, Zelda 2 was a great game. I still don't get why it seems to have such a bad reputation. It was brutally difficult, though.

Yeah, no. A few sharper textures notwithstanding, compare the colour palette and all around tone of the two versions:
N64: dark, subdued, menacing, gloomy. 3DS: all the colours turned up to 11, everything lit up like a fucking stage, bloom, and no atmosphere. See also: the clock UI is objectively shit in the new version.

The 3DS version looks better in every single shot that you linked to. The N64 screenshots don't look more menacing or foreboding to me; they just look muddly and blurry. Especially this one:

4thes2D-620x.jpg

In the N64 one it's really hard to tell what is actually in the background.

As for these:
41j6gQs.png

The reddish tone really help sell the atmosphere of impending doom. The N64 shot looks like a typical night in any adventure/RPG game that has a day/night cycle.

Finally, in these shots:
maxresdefault.jpg

The N64 screenshot is again blurry and muddly-looking. The color palette is muted to the point where everything just kind of blends in together. In the 3DS screenshot, the lighting behind the trees gives the scene an eerie, otherworldly tone.

The color palette on the 3DS version is certainly more vivid, but "turned up to 11" is quite an exaggeration. There are plenty of games that overuse the bloom lighting, but this is absolutely not one of them.

Also, The Wind Waker HD looks fantastic. There are some instances where the lighting is overdone and clashes with the cel-shaded aesthetic, but they are hardly representative of the game as a whole. I think that the HD version also conveys a greater sense of depth, primarily due to the lighting. The lighting also helps make objects on-screen more visually distinct from the environment, especially when the game is in motion.

I do think that the original has a more consistent visual aesthetic than does the HD remake, and it has always looked amazing. It has aged very well, and was probably the Zelda title least in need of an HD upgrade. Twilight Princess would probably benefit the most from an HD upgrade, but they would essentially have to re-create all of the art assets.

Overall, some scenes look better in the original, while other scenes look better in the HD version. On the whole, I'd give the edge to the HD version.

The 3DS ports were handled by a third-party studio (Grezzo), so no, they don't represent the best that Nintendo can do. Nintendo's in-house EAD handled The Wind Waker HD, although the high-res textures were outsourced. It was also a six-month project, whereas both 3DS ports took considerably longer.

The best visuals on the Wii U are pretty damn impressive, and that definitely comes down to art direction. Nintendo's own games often tend to age better (graphically) than their contemporaries.

Running the original Majora's Mask in high-res on an emulator -- especially if you make use of enhanced texture packs and save states -- isn't *really* Majora's Mask either.

Both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask also lose something when not played on an N64 controller, particularly when it comes to playing songs on the ocarina. The way in which you play the ocarina in the game seems to have been inspired by the shape of the N64 controller, and while the 3DS controls are much better than using the C-stick on the Gamecube controller, it still doesn't quite feel like the original. It's not a big enough difference for me to dig out my N64 (and possibly have the replace the battery pack on my OOT cartridge) and have my memories sullied by the reality of blocky & blurry N64 graphics on a 52" HDTV.

Apparently, it's already approaching half a million units sold and is selling at a much faster rate than did the original. Whether this represents all of the fans buying the game in the first week and we're going to see a faster than usual drop off in sales remains to be seen.

And yeah, Link's Awakening is good. So are the two Oracle games.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
No it isn't. There's a thick dark link along the edge of the cliff and the music box house stands out more clearly than in the 3DS version. Why does the 3DS version look so pleasant and sunny when the area is supposed to be covered in smog and clouds?

The reddish tone really help sell the atmosphere of impending doom. The N64 shot looks like a typical night in any adventure/RPG game that has a day/night cycle.
FO3 school of art direction right here.

The N64 screenshot is again blurry and muddly-looking. The color palette is muted to the point where everything just kind of blends in together. In the 3DS screenshot, the lighting behind the trees gives the scene an eerie, otherworldly tone.
It's not supposed to be otherwordly, it's an ordinary forest at night. The 3DS image looks like Link's being abducted by aliens. It's a stupid over-use of ambient lighting that pervades much of the footage of the remake that I've seen.

Also, The Wind Waker HD looks fantastic. There are some instances where the lighting is overdone and clashes with the cel-shaded aesthetic, but they are hardly representative of the game as a whole. I think that the HD version also conveys a greater sense of depth, primarily due to the lighting.
Wind Waker's graphics are not supposed to convey depth through lighting. The whole point of the cel-shading process in the original game, which the remake team completely failed to recapture, was to make it look like a moving 2D image.

Machocruz

Arcane
When you shift the color palette, you shift the tone and expression of the scene. In the case of MM, it works some times, doesn't in others. The original forest scene is better, imo. It suggests ash and smog; doom and melancholy. The other suggests that E.T.'s people are coming to pick him up. "More light, more color!" seems to be the line of thinking there, which is simplistic.

On the other hand, the clock tower shot I don't mind. Strange, ominous things be happening, and the palette reflects that.

For me, Nintendo's art direction falls short in character design lately. They've never pursued avant garde character design or anything like that, but they've become more conservative within their own conservatism. The 3D renderings of their characters are bland as can be, like plastic dolls. Reminds me of the animation industry and the increasing obsession with "on-model" and "balanced" character design. Very vanilla, very safe, idiosyncrasies and quirks are verboten, proportions adhere to precise mathematical proportions based on "market research" or whatever. Again, Nintendo's designs have always been conservative, and the difference between 2D Super Mario and 3D Super Mario isn't as big as between early Mickey Mouse and later versions, but SMW Mario has a bit more flavor, a bit more life. Maybe it's because he is aided by contour line, and line lends different expressive qualities to otherwise plain forms and proportions. And like I said earlier, I'll take big nosed, Martin Freeman Link over Twilight Princess Link who is generic anime even by anime standards.

Still, Mario 3D World and Kart 8 look great overall. They've stepped up their 3D rendered levels/backgrounds game since NSMB. The color is glorious in both of these games.

Whatever the case, it would be fun to see different takes on these characters. I'd love to see the Earthworm Jim character designer take a crack at Mario or Donkey Kong, Metroid that resembles the work of Jean "Moebius" Giraud, Jim Henson style LoZ (more Dark Crystal/Labyrinth, less Muppets).

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

Yup, Zelda 2 was a great game. I still don't get why it seems to have such a bad reputation. It was brutally difficult, though.

Yeah, no. A few sharper textures notwithstanding, compare the colour palette and all around tone of the two versions:
N64: dark, subdued, menacing, gloomy. 3DS: all the colours turned up to 11, everything lit up like a fucking stage, bloom, and no atmosphere. See also: the clock UI is objectively shit in the new version.

The 3DS version looks better in every single shot that you linked to. The N64 screenshots don't look more menacing or foreboding to me; they just look muddly and blurry. Especially this one:

As for these:

Finally, in these shots:

The color palette on the 3DS version is certainly more vivid, but "turned up to 11" is quite an exaggeration. There are plenty of games that overuse the bloom lighting, but this is absolutely not one of them.

Also, The Wind Waker HD looks fantastic. There are some instances where the lighting is overdone and clashes with the cel-shaded aesthetic, but they are hardly representative of the game as a whole. I think that the HD version also conveys a greater sense of depth, primarily due to the lighting. The lighting also helps make objects on-screen more visually distinct from the environment, especially when the game is in motion.

I do think that the original has a more consistent visual aesthetic than does the HD remake, and it has always looked amazing. It has aged very well, and was probably the Zelda title least in need of an HD upgrade. Twilight Princess would probably benefit the most from an HD upgrade, but they would essentially have to re-create all of the art assets.

Overall, some scenes look better in the original, while other scenes look better in the HD version. On the whole, I'd give the edge to the HD version.

The 3DS ports were handled by a third-party studio (Grezzo), so no, they don't represent the best that Nintendo can do. Nintendo's in-house EAD handled The Wind Waker HD, although the high-res textures were outsourced. It was also a six-month project, whereas both 3DS ports took considerably longer.

The best visuals on the Wii U are pretty damn impressive, and that definitely comes down to art direction. Nintendo's own games often tend to age better (graphically) than their contemporaries.

Running the original Majora's Mask in high-res on an emulator -- especially if you make use of enhanced texture packs and save states -- isn't *really* Majora's Mask either.

Both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask also lose something when not played on an N64 controller, particularly when it comes to playing songs on the ocarina. The way in which you play the ocarina in the game seems to have been inspired by the shape of the N64 controller, and while the 3DS controls are much better than using the C-stick on the Gamecube controller, it still doesn't quite feel like the original. It's not a big enough difference for me to dig out my N64 (and possibly have the replace the battery pack on my OOT cartridge) and have my memories sullied by the reality of blocky & blurry N64 graphics on a 52" HDTV.

Apparently, it's already approaching half a million units sold and is selling at a much faster rate than did the original. Whether this represents all of the fans buying the game in the first week and we're going to see a faster than usual drop off in sales remains to be seen.

And yeah, Link's Awakening is good. So are the two Oracle games.

Consider yourself brofisted

No it isn't. There's a thick dark link along the edge of the cliff and the music box house stands out more clearly than in the 3DS version. Why does the 3DS version look so pleasant and sunny when the area is supposed to be covered in smog and clouds?

Ikana canyon it's not supposed to be covered in smog and clouds. It supposed to look desolate.

-----------------------------------------

All i've seen on the 3DS until today (I'm playing it) fits perfectly with the mood of the original game, even surpassing it only for being more faithful with the artworks than the original ever was. The new palette of colours, especially the purple one gives a more deep sensation of spooky than the original.

You don't like the new game? No problem, is fine. But please, don't detract the new version for it. Plus, the original Majora's mask was a colorful game too.

Majoras-mask-gameplay.png

majora21.jpg

majoras_mask_2000.jpg

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane

The background still looks like a blurry, indistinct mess to me, not a smoggly landscape. The 3DS version doesn't look pleasant and sunny to me. It's brighter, but it doesn't look particularly sunny to me. I haven't reached that point in the game yet, so I'll refrain from further commenting on it.

It's not supposed to be otherwordly, it's an ordinary forest at night. The 3DS image looks like Link's being abducted by aliens. It's a stupid over-use of ambient lighting that pervades much of the footage of the remake that I've seen.

Perhaps it's foreshadowing Link's trip to Termina? He's deep in the woods, where the border between worlds gets thinner. Getting lost in the woods and finding oneself in a different time and place is not an uncommon scenario in myth and legend.

One other very important point to make here regarding the graphics on the 3DS version versus the N64 version is that this is first and foremost a game on a portable system. This means that it will be viewed on a smaller screen, and it is likely to be played in locations where the player doesn't have control over lighting conditions.

Keeping the N64 color palette on the 3DS version would make the game essentially unplayable in daylight. Even with the screen brightness cranked up to 5 (which shortens the battery life), it can be extremely difficult to see what is on the screen when outdoors or near a window. If you're just going to play it indoors, with the lights turned down, then you might as well play it on a full console and large screen. When playing on the go (such as on a bus or train), the lighting conditions are frequently changing. I play my 3DS on the train several times a week, and some games are pretty much unplayable unless it's overcast or when it gets dark early. Luigi's Mansion was pretty much unplayable for me during the summer months, and some of the dungeons in Ocarina of Time were also nearly impossible to see on the screen.

When you're viewing the game on a small screen, often in unfavorable lighting conditions, a brighter color palette simply works better than a more muted palette. Comparing screenshots on a PC rather misses the point.

Wind Waker's graphics are not supposed to convey depth through lighting. The whole point of the cel-shading process in the original game, which the remake team completely failed to recapture, was to make it look like a moving 2D image.

I absolutely get what the point was in the original game. As I said, the original has a more consistent visual aesthetic. However, in terms of it being a game, I think that the added visual depth due to the lighting improves the gameplay by making it a bit easier to judge distances and distinguish objects from the background. I find that it looks better in motion than it does in still images.

Plus, the original Majora's mask was a colorful game too.

That's what I like the most about the design. It manages the "dark" atmosphere without actually resorting to shadows and darkness that much, but odd combinations of garish colors and creepy music. Ikana Canyon is pretty well lit even in the original, but it still gives this same uncomfortable vibe you'll find on the Stone Tower later on.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
Really enjoying Majora'sMask so far -- just finished the second dungeon. It has a very different feel to it than other Zelda games.

I don't like losing certain types of items when returning to the first day. It doesn't make the game more challenging to have to refill your bottles and replenish your stock if bombs and arrows. It's trivial to do so, but it's a pointless waste of time. Resetting the state of the world, stray fairies, etc is enough of a drawback to going back in time. Collecting your consumable items again only serves to annoy. I think it's a poor mechanic.

Keldryn

Arcane
I definitely will.

Just got the gilded sword. Somehow managed to get the gold dust on the first try, as I heard that it can take many attempts.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Bottles are overpowered in Zelda games, so the MM system is a good way to equilibrate the game. Arrow and bombs are easy to find, but potions and fairies not. They cost rupees or appears in spawning zones. Its all about pressing the player on managing his items and the time properly.

Its not a perfect system, but is better than leaving the player free with his six bottles filled with fairies and potions and full of items.

Keldryn

Arcane
Fairies are easy to find. There's one right next to each of the owl statues in the swamp area (at least in the 3DS version), so it's just a matter of warping to one, getting the fairy, warping to the other, getting the fairy, repeat until bottles are full. True, it does encourage the player to better manage his time, but it does start to feel like pointless busywork after a certain point.

And yes, bottles are overpowered. Any time that I found that I was struggling in the early stages of a Zelda game, getting a second bottle made a huge difference. Especially in Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest and hero mode on A Link Between Worlds. That second bottle changed everything.

Then add upgraded potions and the Potion Medal in Skyward Sword for some truly overpowered shit. 6 minutes of total invulnerability with the Guardian+ potion is insane.

Keldryn

Arcane
Just finished it two nights ago.

Fantastic game. I'm sorry that I missed out on it the first time around. On the other hand, it means that it was essentially a brand new game for me.

I ended up not bothering with getting the Fierce Deity Mask though. I had all of the masks, but two of the optional mini-dungeons at the end were absolutely rage-inducing. I almost ragequit the goron one, but I kept at it and eventually got through it. The Zora one, on the other hand, is a paragon of poor design. After spending a good 40 minutes or longer, I decided to just finish the game. The final battles weren't that difficult anyway -- I didn't use a single fairy, and I still had 8 out of 17 hearts left when I finished.

Loved the game on the whole, despite a few very frustrating parts. So, when's the next 3DS Zelda coming out? ;)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
If this came out on Wii U I'd buy it in a heartbeat (same with MH4U and a few others). Can't stand playing anything action-adventury for extended periods of time on 3DS. Too bad it's doing so poorly in sales or else we'd be seeing a lot more HD ports. :argh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up not bothering with getting the Fierce Deity Mask though. I had all of the masks, but two of the optional mini-dungeons at the end were absolutely rage-inducing. I almost ragequit the goron one, but I kept at it and eventually got through it. The Zora one, on the other hand, is a paragon of poor design

Getting he FD mask is a mixed blessing - the sudden rush of power feels really satisfying at first, but you can just mash attack to win. Might as well have been a cutscene. At least you can go back and fight the other bosses with it for some stress relief.

I think I missed the pieces of heart in the moon dungeons. You couldn't try them again (in the N64 version at least) so I was doomed to never have a full heart meter. :M

If the fierce diety dungeons are unchanged from 64, the Goron one is actually pretty easy. After you clear the first jump in Goron form, just take off the mask. There's a little tightrope off to the right you can use to walk straight to the heart piece.

I've been slowly working through the game, and as much as I was complaining about it visually, most of my gripes are just minor things they changed. It's dumb that start / select both go to the Bomber's Notebook and you have to use the touchscreen for the inventory, considering often you need to open your inventory. The slow quest updates in the bomber's notebook is also annoying. I don't like new Zora swimming. They moved the Stone Mask guy. They slowed aiming with the joystick way down for some reason. And so on and so forth.

But Majora's Mask is Majora's Mask, and it's a great game despite a bunch of IMO unnecessary changes. It's really nice to have it in a portable form.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:necro:

Well, since this was basically the Zelda Discussion thread, I might as well post this here. So that Four Swords-ish game Triforce Heroes is about to be released and Ninty started sending codes for the demo on the 3DS. I don't have friends, so, whoever wants a demo code for it - just ask.

It certainly looks...uh...yeah.

:lol: Best premise I've ever seen.

"I don't blame the king...who would want to see their princess in an onesie???"

edit: enjoying the comments

"Apparently, it's dangerous to go alone."

did u just

Calling it right now. Final boss is Purple Link and he cursed the princess because there can be none more fabulous than him.

They replace Vatii, a God of chaos... WITH A FASHION GEEK!?

When you play Megaman 8, all other voice acting else starts to sound fine. :P

Truly a game feminists will enjoy.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
There is something going on with Twilight Princess as well. Either it'll be up for digital purchase soon or there will be an HD version coming up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom