Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Derringer

Prophet
They made the side stuff 'fun' (?) to complete but the rewards don't match beyond having a normal ending sequence that isn't cropped out with spinning masks you never picked up. Still a good game, Zelda never really got better past the N64 games and Link's Awakening.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
They made the side stuff 'fun' (?) to complete but the rewards don't match beyond having a normal ending sequence that isn't cropped out with spinning masks you never picked up. Still a good game, Zelda never really got better past the N64 games and Link's Awakening.
I will never understand why they spoiled the Fierce Diety mask by making it for bosses only. I've already completed everything in the game by that point, just let me have fun ffs.

The great fairy sword was worth it and better than the biggoron sword. the fact you can map it to a C-button is a benefit IMO, not a problem

That they're mediocre shit games, like most of this kiddie "best ever" franchise.
"Mediocre" and "shit" are mutually exclusive descriptors. If you're going to edgelord it up successfully you need to first level up your English language skill.

Oracle games are pretty good although all the gimmicky gamelink bullshit can fuck right off.
Minish Cap also has some pretty good dungeons, even though the game as a whole shares a lot of the same high-level design flaws as Skyward Sword

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
That they're mediocre shit games, like most of this kiddie "best ever" franchise.
"Mediocre" and "shit" are mutually exclusive descriptors. If you're going to edgelord it up successfully you need to first level up your English language skill.

Oracle games are pretty good although all the gimmicky gamelink bullshit can fuck right off.
Minish Cap also has some pretty good dungeons, even though the game as a whole shares a lot of the same high-level design flaws as Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds has great dungeons too.

Gastrick

Cipher

Mediocre would be oracle and Minish Cap. Shit would be OOT, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Spirit Tracks. That's my experience as someone who's played almost all of them.

With Minish Cap, you could tell the talent behind LTTP and the earlier games was no longer present. The game is easy, the weapons are dull, and the gameplay isn't quite there. Given that all you need to do to finish these dungeons is go through the motions, none except one or two are entertaining. That dungeon where you gain jumping in Link's Awakening is much better than any in this game. I remember the trophy collecting being decent though. There's also that annoying hat.

Mediocre would be oracle and Minish Cap. Shit would be OOT, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Spirit Tracks. That's my experience as someone who's played almost all of them.

With Minish Cap, you could tell the talent behind LTTP and the earlier games was no longer present. The game is easy, the weapons are dull, and the gameplay isn't quite there. Given that all you need to do to finish these dungeons is go through the motions, none except one or two are entertaining. That dungeon where you gain jumping in Link's Awakening is much better than any in this game.

That's nonsense. The first dungeon in LA is a very barebones tutorial and one of the weakest 2D dungeons in the series. Minish Cap's dungeons are substantially more complex. And the game is easy? No shit, Sherlock, it's a Zelda game; the last time you could find an iota of difficulty in a Zelda game was 35 years ago. Don't order a mocha and complain it tastes like chocolate.

Calling OOT shit is going a bit over the top with the trolliness, but I do agree it's overrated and hasn't aged particularly well. I played LBW, but remember almost nothing about it besides its LTTP nostalgia baiting. I like Wind Waker, but it has some serious design flaws, and tbh I can't remember much about the dungeons because I last played it 20 years ago. I never played the DS games, but TP and especially Skyward Sword are indeed shit, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of BotW I was relieved that it's a giant pivot away from their design philosophy.

I find it extremely unlikely that LTTP and MM will ever be surpassed in the 2D/3D spaces they occupy. C'est la vie.

Gastrick

Cipher
The first dungeon in LA is a very barebones tutorial and one of the weakest 2D dungeons
Wrong, you also gain the best equipment there.

the last time you could find an iota of difficulty in a Zelda game was 35
That's when it was good as well, unless you fall for bullshit like "newer is better."

Calling OOT shit is going a bit over the top with the trolliness, but I do agree it's overrated and hasn't aged particularly well.
It literally is though, and the only justification I've heard is that they like the story and characters, and like horseback riding. You fight a single enemy every couple hours, and go through all these annoying dungeons. The controls suck and haven't aged well, and there are several better open world knight games released since then.

I like Wind Waker, but it has some serious design flaws, and tbh I can't remember much about the dungeons because I last played it 20 years ago. I never played the DS games, but TP and especially Skyward Sword are indeed shit
With these games, you pretend that you like them at first but as time goes on, you realize that they are boring and bad.

Derringer

Prophet
I will never understand why they spoiled the Fierce Diety mask by making it for bosses only. I've already completed everything in the game by that point, just let me have fun ffs.
It would've been fun if they put the extra effort into programming it but they just didn't bother. There isn't too much of a difference between the Diety mask beyond just not being a manlet, they probably just didn't see what the point would be when the other transformation masks already had more variety.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Probably tens of thousands of straight shota pics on the NSFW art sites. More Zelda art than I know what to do with. But I found only one racy Kafei and Anju pic. How? Rule 34 is a lie!

anju-kafei.jpg

The last time I played this was on release on my N64 TWENTY TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO

:dead:

I remember it being my favourite Zelda, though. Nothing quite like it. I'd try to replay it but I can't stomach N64 games anymore, the 10cm draw distance, the barely 15fps gameplay, the smeared vision everywhere. Probably better to just have good memories of it.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I remember it being my favourite Zelda, though. Nothing quite like it. I'd try to replay it but I can't stomach N64 games anymore, the 10cm draw distance, the barely 15fps gameplay, the smeared vision everywhere. Probably better to just have good memories of it.
There are a couple of near-release projects that address these, so wait for a few months to a year and it shouldn't be a problem anymore. Infinite scaling, 60fps, new rendering pipeline, easily replaceable textures are already in, for example.

You can get some N64 games running at 60FPS on Dolphin, but it’s kind of a pain in the ass, and it actively breaks most of them. The Zeldas become super difficult because enemies act 2.5x as fast and Link’s combat ability is actually reduced because he can’t execute sword combos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom