Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper The Legend of Candlewind, a turn-based, first-person dungeon crawler (yup, it's shovelware)

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Replacing Suicidebunnys Farewell post by the latest Legend of CandleWind review - Maximum insult. Lets keep it the way it is.

GlutenBurger its not that the game is hilariously bad and an event in itself, like plan 9 form outer space. Its just disappoinging and lazy executed in every single aspect. A time waster like Star wars holiday special. Really, don't bother.

mastroego

Arcane
I think the torch mechanic, at least, could be interesting in a better designed game. It would add a bit of tension while fooling around with the inventory and such.
Uh?
Torches burn out in Legend of Grimrock already. The first one I mean.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Uh?
Torches burn out in Legend of Grimrock already. The first one I mean.

Torches burn out in lots of games. Not in real time when everything else is turn based, however. Unless that is the case in Grimrock too, in which case I forgot all about it, so must be both unexciting and less frustrating than it sounds.

mastroego

Arcane
Oh, sorry, didn't get that.
Well, then, I really don't see the point of the feature in a TB game.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the torch mechanic, at least, could be interesting in a better designed game. It would add a bit of tension while fooling around with the inventory and such. Given the name "Candlewind," unreliable light sources may have even been the game's core idea.
You got a point there. But then... everything in this game could be interesting if it was better designed.
The bard can't sing songs when you start out? A dungeon doesn't sound like the appropriate setting for on-the-job bard training..
Well, everybody except the fighter starts with the same selection of 16 spells (The bard has two less). But to cast spells in combat, you need to have a spellbook equipped as a weapon. Since your bard is frontliner, that would be a bad Idea, because he has enough MP for casting ~1 combat spell. Then he would stand around doing nothing because you can't switch weapons during a fight.
Oh, by the way, switching weapons outside of fights require a total of 6 mouse clicks, which aren't even documented of course.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just watched the trailer for this - that has got to be the WORST trailer I've ever seen.

It ONLY shows static screenshots surrounded by computer 'effeks' to try to spice them up somehow.

Then I check this thread and see that snorkack has taken the bullet for the rest of us.

Even the minotaur had the same face as everyone (and everything) else!

sser

Arcane
Developer
Based on some of the readups on Steam, this game is beyond awful.

Looks like it has yet another subtitle here - The Rogues of Blackwood Forest. Episodic?

It's not an additional subtitle, it is in the place of the current one ( "The Legend of Candlewind: Nights & Candles", as Steam calls it) . I think that trailer was made before they came up with the definitive title.

Also, I love the repeated zooming on the hag picture.

LOOK

LOOK AT THE HAG

THIS IS THE BEST HAG EVER

YOU ARE NOT LOOKING

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
John Walker's crusade continues! http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/18/legend-of-candlewind-review/

It becomes very quickly apparent that this isn’t a finished game. Apparently I met a travelling healer, who appeared in the form of a text box. Later enemies appear in teams of four, but there’s still only one of them on screen. You fight one at a time, and for some reason have no access to your inventory during battles, so can’t use potions and so on. And I’ve yet to figure out how to equip a torch. The party member who had them is now dead, but none of the others appear willing to hold them. The same goes for many items. Goodness, this is an odd thing.

It feels like an early prototype. On the second floor you “meet” an elderly lady, asking for a torch. (A text dialogue in an empty corridor.) Agree to let her have one and you’ll gain 300XP. Although on my second time attempting this, it let me give her all my torches, 300XP a time. (Although XP is so poorly balanced that you need 4000 to get all four to level 2, with the average kill getting you 80.) Chests and doors are locked, and sometimes you can open them, sometimes you can’t, but I’ve yet to encounter a key. I guess it maybe has something to do with killing enemies, but since they spawn at random, and there’s no sign of loot, it’s hard to square it up.

Early on the second level there’s an attack by the exact same group of goblins you’ve only encountered so far, that finishes with a surprise (sorry!) goblin shaman. She is, so far as I can tell, impervious to all attacks but for magical ones. And since you’ll have just fought three other goblins, aren’t allowed to heal or restore mana during battles, the chances are your single magic flinger isn’t going to be capable of taking her out while the rest of your team is brutally slaughtered as they haplessly swing missing attacks around her. (And let’s be clear, there’s no actual swinging – just a “swoosh” sound effect. Although, hey, a sound effect!) After dying three times to her, and restarting twice to see if I was missing anything, I was then left resorting to clicking on the “Wait for monster” button, to line up a string of dreary goblins in an effort to see whether level 2 might make a difference.

And then I gave up. 20XP each for each kill, 375 to go, nothing else to do. I’d be out of healing and mana potions before I got close. And I read that there’s no choice when you do finally level up. And that’s where I stopped. On the second floor. I’ve read that others have finished the game in two hours. Congratulations to them, and their patience. I’ve wrestled with it for about that long, and it’s a shell. There’s no map, which is true to the era it echoes, but remains frustrating. There’s no sense of movement, and secrets are unmarked walls you can just walk through, meaning the blipping transitions are extremely confusing. If there’s a way to rest, I’ve not found it.

It’s very odd that this isn’t in Early Access, and appeals on the Steam forums for information on updates have not been responded to. It’s £7 on Steam, but I would widely avoid.

As usual, the comments are amusing.

mondblut

Arcane
:x
It is because of people like them we can't have nice things. How is it even possible to completely ruin such a simple, basic thing as a TB blobber?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
User reviews: Negative (17 reviews)
Ouch. I might still buy it, since I tend to buy everything that is both first person and RPG, but that is really a goddamn shame.
Send me the money instead and I will send you a good Norwegian black metal album.

I'm oh so sorry, but I'll take a broken, buggy, half-functioning FP RPG over a black metal album any day. :P

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since I cancelled my preorder long ago after amazon told me there's no clear release date anymore I got it in this bundle. And the first impression after 5 seconds is NO WASD CONTROLS WTF IS THIS THE STONE AGE BLARGHLRAAAH

Martyr

Arcane
this game costs 99 cent right now, so I picked it up.
I like the dark visual style of the castle and the music.
but how the fuck do you even shoot the bow???
and is there an option for resting?
and as far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be an automap? that would actually be kind of cool, old-school! :shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom