Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Reinhardt

Arcane
Can the gooks not be horny little shitbags who think rape is "funny"?
it's actually horror game iirc. it's not supposed to be "funny"

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Hell Swarm

Educated
The way it works is. If you're a beta cuck, or had a single mother you end up liking CRPG's because you're in a perpetual fantasy mode of, "it'd be awesome if I were in high school WITH THE GUN!"
You mean like.. Persona? Literally high school with a gun.
Can the gooks not be horny little shitbags who think rape is "funny"?
No, they all carry the genes of rapists. Rape babies all the way down. And muh honour says you can't say you were raped.
Can't believe I'm coming back in here but LIES. The Japs have never portrayed rape as being "sexy". It's typically meant to look horrifying and wrong.
Except the massive industry of rape doujins, mangas, hentai series and games. Like the Ranch series is nothing but rape.

akagifron

Novice
JRPG organized fundamentally differently. When the Japanese make a regular RPG focused on the role-playing system and exploration, this is one thing and no one separates them. But the Japanese make adventure games where the role-playing system is almost alienated from the game and is a form of linear growth in strength. Just get +3 every level and don't interact with it at all, no stat checks, nothing. At the same time, the game is about snot instead of interaction with the world. This is why it is important to keep jrpg separately. And the genre lives in small studios. That was a wonderful caves of lore and more other games

Deflowerer

Arcane
Oh, can you play a doujin eroge with such artstyle and game features?

X98Cl2q.png

- 'Open' world
- ATB battles
- All NPC can be murdered, all female NPC can also be raped and imprisoned
- Multiple endings
- 9 degrees of difficulty, changeable on the fly
- Display of ero content/events can be turned ON/OFF
- Depending on player's actions, heroines may die or even turn hostile

Again, I don't play doujins in ENG, so can't vouch for their translation quality.
Sauce?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Making fun of Japanese designs was pretty common back then. Cloud does look stupid with his spiky hair and giant blocky sword. People who liked RPGs weren't having sour grapes over loot clickers and MMOs. They were usually the same damn crowd and even fans made fun of anime styles back then. Step back and objectively look at anime as an art style. It's bizarre and got rightfully laughed at. It's become normalized now and you don't see how weird those giant eyes are.

Never said the hairstyles weren't funny; anime was and remains full of cringe*. My point was people whose brains can't comprehend anything other than the Diablo 2 skill tree shut down entirely when they see the complexity of a Jrpg. They can't admit this, so they latch onto the most obvious and superficial flaw (gay art) and use that as an excuse.

*Of course, just like all western art isn't done by Hanna Barbara, all anime isn't Tetsuya Nomura.

iu

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Educated
Making fun of Japanese designs was pretty common back then. Cloud does look stupid with his spiky hair and giant blocky sword. People who liked RPGs weren't having sour grapes over loot clickers and MMOs. They were usually the same damn crowd and even fans made fun of anime styles back then. Step back and objectively look at anime as an art style. It's bizarre and got rightfully laughed at. It's become normalized now and you don't see how weird those giant eyes are.

Never said the hairstyles weren't funny; anime was and remains full of cringe*. My point was people whose brains can't comprehend anything other than the Diablo 2 skill tree shut down entirely when they see the complexity of a Jrpg. They can't admit this, so they latch onto the most obvious and superficial flaw (gay art) and use that as an excuse.

*Of course, just like all western art isn't done by Hanna Barbara, all anime isn't Tetsuya Nomura.

iu
CRPGs are usually more complex than JRPGs in that era. Why are you trying to act big brained because you played weeb games? There wasn't this divide between the two. People played JRPGs mostly for the FMV and world, everything else was secondary and CRPGs shit all over most JRPGs in depth and complexity. Even a basic dungeon crawler would have more depth to it's systems than JRPGs equipping items and spells being rock/paper/scissors. None of this mattered because gamers don't give a fuck if it's from Japan, the USA or Europe. They play games they think they will enjoy and the autistic man children who enjoy RPGs mostly enjoyed both genres in equal measure.

That art still looks retarded. It works animated but as a still image it looks shit.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
CRPGs are usually more complex than JRPGs in that era.
I suppose we'd have to answer what "era" we're speaking of.

In 1992, many classic CRPGs were released:

-Might and Magic 3 - bright, colorful, open world. Lots of classes but no real depth, gameplay loop is kill, loot, kill, combat is brainless, game is dead easy even on the 'hard' difficulty
-Ultima 7 - Neat interactive world, lots of dialogue, combat is simple & automated, basically no character customization.
-Darklands - Deep character building system, relatively simple combat, almost no progression. Deep, procedural open world. Sales disaster.
-Betrayal at Krondor - Interactive fiction. Barely a game. (*edit I was wrong, this was 1993)
-Wizardry 7 - Wonderful depth and complexity, but dungeon crawlers quickly died in the west while remaining popular in the east.
-Eye of the Beholder 2 - Dungeon crawler, has the D&D system but it's mostly meaningless, combat is just hack-in-slash and sidestepping.

In Japan, you got:

-Final Fantasy 5 - The famous job system. 22 classes with great freedom at creating customized characters. Some of the trickier battles in the series.
-Romancing SaGa - Open world, complex systems, free-form weapon and magic customization options. High difficulty.
-EVO the search for Eden - Game where you start as a fish and level up by evolving into various life forms. Unique.
-Dragon Quest V - A game where you start as a kid adventuring with your dad, and end up as a dad adventuring with your kids. Catch monsters and add them to your team. Decently challenging.
-Shin Megami Tensei - YHWH nukes the world, survive the post-apocalypse by summoning, fusing, and bargaining with demons. Complex faction and alignment system.

Even in that era, we can clearly see the western games are trying to tell stories first with heavily simplified mechanics, while the japanese games prioritized character customization, battle systems, and challenge. The exceptions were rejected by the west (Darklands) or were more akin to JRPGs (Wiz7).

Reinhardt

Arcane
Hell Swarm the more your posts i see - the more i believe you never played any jrpgs, just looked persona and ff7 on google. kinda explains odd belief all japanese games are set in school.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The fact that you're fixated on the appearance of the characters rather than their actual stories is rather telling.

Is not only appearance. I see a guy like Cloud and Chrono and don't like ANYTHING about him.

And honestly, thanks to ESG/woke bs, instead of good characters, we will gonna get "Phyre" tier characters in western rpg's too.

(...)f they have a main character that gets stronger over time because the entire concept of getting significantly stronger over time is absurd.

People do get better with time in things that they focus on it. For example, the first time that I picked a firearm, I was having problems merely aligning the shots, was anticipating the recoil and after the firearm failed to cycle, I din't even knew what to do. After practicing a lot, I can easily hit targets at 300m with a .30-06 rifle.

RPG's main characters, mainly at high levels aren't even regular humans like we are. They are often heroic figures akin to myths and legends.

That said, the world would be a much better place if when we talk about JRPG, we think on From Software games instead of Square Enix. Kingsfield series is great.

Hell Swarm

Educated
-Final Fantasy 5 - The famous job system. 22 classes with great freedom at creating customized characters. Some of the trickier battles in the series.
-Romancing SaGa - Open world, complex systems, free-form weapon and magic customization options. High difficulty.
-EVO the search for Eden - Game where you start as a fish and level up by evolving into various life forms. Unique.
-Dragon Quest V - A game where you start as a kid adventuring with your dad, and end up as a dad adventuring with your kids. Catch monsters and add them to your team. Decently challenging.
-Shin Megami Tensei - YHWH nukes the world, survive the post-apocalypse by summoning, fusing, and bargaining with demons. Complex faction and alignment system.
None of these games do anything interesting and original for combat though. Their unique quirks are basically the same system with a different coat of paint. CRPGs had a much wider and more original range.

Evo is the exception but Evo is a platformer with a gimmick rather than an RPG IMO. It's like saying Alex the Kidd is RPG because you can buy power ups.
@Hell Swarm the more your posts i see - the more i believe you never played any jrpgs, just looked persona and ff7 on google. kinda explains odd belief all japanese games are set in school.
The more you post the more retarded you look. The signature says I'm playing a JRPG right now and my posts in this thread show I have first hand experience with SMT:Nocturne on the PS2. A niche title at the time very few played because it pre-dates the Persona take over of the western JRPG market. And I also played the Persona series before it got big. So I was ahead of that curve too.

So yes you're right. I googled the genre I was playing as a young child when literally only me and one of my friends played JRPGs in our entire school.

Fucking queers can't beat an argument so they have to go for character assassination. Even when the thread disproves it all on even a casual read.

Reinhardt

Arcane
just looked persona and ff7
What more do you need to know?
i never finished any ff game.

just looked through japanese games i have installed and there is zero school boys in them.

unicorn overlord - exiled prince raising an army to take his kingdom back.
fate samurai remnant and way of the samurai 3 are... about samurai.
super robot wars t - both mc are corporate drones in their late 20s.
atelier games are about alchemists.

Hell Swarm

Educated
super robot wars t - both mc are corporate drones in their late 20s.
Okay you are a sub 70 IQ Nigger right here.

CAMILLE BIDAN IS A TEENAGE BOY! He starts the series skipping judo class and that's what starts all the shit with the Titans leading the events of Zeta unfolding.

Might Gaine's hero is a 15 year old billionaire. So another high school age boy.

You not only don't finish FF games. You don't even play the ones you claim you are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom