Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think the peak of IWD is the second half of the game, basically everything after Severed Hand. The hard part on replays is getting through the comparatively dull early game sections to reach the goods.

Peak IWD1 tactical combat experience is Dragon's Eye. Severed Hand and especially Dorn's Deep do the puzzle solving and questing in a hostile area thing better though

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Personally got enough of the trash fights right after clearing that frozen aquarium from frost salamanders. Somewhere after the Severed Hand.
See little point to continue playing if you don't find the game fun anymore.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Personally got enough of the trash fights right after clearing that frozen aquarium from frost salamanders. Somewhere after the Severed Hand.
See little point to continue playing if you don't find the game fun anymore.
Oh, I think it's worth playing at this point.
Just to witness Josh Sawyer's quest with a female drow enjoying being raped and beaten up by a human thug Chad.

Josh "goblin genocide" Sawyer doesn't post on RPG Codex because he's just a bit too edgy for this place.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Severed Hand was a bit of a drag for me. I personally much prefer Dragon's Eye before it, and Dorne's Deep after it, with the ice area being okay. You should continue imo.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The biggest issue with motivation to press on in IWD is the encounter design. It's classic Sawyer / proto-Obsidian: ZERG ZERG ZERG.

The doctors knew what was up with BG1 & 2's palette cleanse from zergs with set pieces.

Snufkin

Augur
The biggest issue with motivation to press on in IWD is the encounter design. It's classic Sawyer / proto-Obsidian: ZERG ZERG ZERG.

The doctors knew what was up with BG1 & 2's palette cleanse from zergs with set pieces.
There are plenty of ambushes in IWD. Game is still tactical, but chaotic at times because of real time combat.

Dramart

Learned
Is there a way to make a character stop attacking you? I'm at the Severed Hand and chose a dialogue option that made Larrel to fight me. I escaped and kept playing, got all the pieces for the machine but Larrel and his wizard friend are still resentful. I don't have other saves.
:mixedemotions:

DemonKing

Arcane
With the success of BG3 what do people think the chances are of us seeing an IWD3 now (not necessarily on the BG3 engine)? I'd imagine Hasbro will be eager to keep the computer gaming cash tap flowing given apart from D&D and Magic most of their traditional toys/games aren't doing well at the moment.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
With the success of BG3 what do people think the chances are of us seeing an IWD3 now (not necessarily on the BG3 engine)? I'd imagine Hasbro will be eager to keep the computer gaming cash tap flowing given apart from D&D and Magic most of their traditional toys/games aren't doing well at the moment.
I'd love it if it was to be in 2d isometric 3rd edition.

Otherwise, thanks, but no thanks.

Why would you even suggest that, wtf is wrong with you for fuck’s sake?

DemonKing

Arcane
Why would you even suggest that, wtf is wrong with you for fuck’s sake?
Well I could see it working (preferably without the Romance crap and a player generated party). The Solasta devs could probably do a decent job with a bit of help with regards to story/setting/dialog.

Doubt you'll get 3rd edition given the license holders aren't likely to want to release a version that doesn't match their current PnP edition.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Perhaps. A combat focused "spin-off" of bg3 could make sense. Even using larians engine could work, as far as I've seen it's fine combat-wise. Just need some balance tweaks. Of course we won't see anything other than 5th edition. You could add tweaks to it too though.

Sorry for quick and edgy response, I can see it working. I'd wager most people are into bg3 because of the storytelling, presentation and hype, but perhaps enough of them could be into combat mechanics to warrent a new game in the spirit of IWD.

For the record, I have barely played Original Sin and I'm like 3 hours into bg3. The goblin encounter was promising.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
IWD2EE adds Attacks of Opportunity, trips and grappling and more. You know, all the things that supposedly couldnt be done before. Much to my surprise, it all works well, doesnt feel too jank other than the animations.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I skipped this component, since I feel like rapid repositioning is an essential aspect of gameplay in iwd. I am yet to start playing though.

Is ee good? From the description it feels like plenty of interesting ideas, with plenty of room to fuck them up and not enough resources to fix what is broken. Just like the original game.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
How does AoO work in practice?

It seems to work similarly to Pillars except without the GUI effects. Basically, any enemy that you engage or vice versa, if they/you take certain actions like attempting to move away, cast a spell or use a range weapon, it provokes an AoO. Due to massive amounts of enemy numbers you face in IWD2, this actually ends up being slightly in the AIs favor and makes having that frontline decision a little more meaningful as you can't just beeline to the enemy's ranged/caster units without making your own very vulnerable (iow kiting is way more dangerous)

I skipped this component, since I feel like rapid repositioning is an essential aspect of gameplay in iwd. I am yet to start playing though.

Is ee good? From the description it feels like plenty of interesting ideas, with plenty of room to fuck them up and not enough resources to fix what is broken. Just like the original game.

Its surprisingly good. Ive been playing with all the components enabled and it just feels like IWD2 as a more complete game instead of the rushed product. The only thing i didnt enable was the recruitable NPCs because that shit is dumb to me.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Just had a cool little interaction. Somewhere in the early game of slaying goblin jobbers, I picked up a broken armor and sword. Dropped it on the ground in some room as I couldnt sell it or find any use for it and assumed it was junk items "muh flavor" and so on. My priest reached 3rd level after banishing the weeping widow - because theres no way im doing yet another fetch quest and certainly not for some stinking spirit - and I noticed he had the "make whole" spell that repaired weapons and armor... HMMM.. Sure enough, I go back to pick up my hastily dumped artifacts and transformed them into a suit of half-plate and a masterwork scimitar. Pretty good stuff for early game, especially considering I have a lawfully retarded paladin as my face and he's been making our party live in poverty.

catfood

AGAIN
The mod is p. cool. It adds a ton of options, some make the game easier, some make it harder, depending on your preferences. The one option that I definitely would NOT recommend under ANY circumstances is the one that adds DR to armor. I found that it made the game impossible to enjoy because now everyone has DR and fights would take forever. I had to reinstall the game in order to get rid of it. I don't know if the feature could have been remove otherwise? Other than that everything runs great. I'd install the mod just for the improved loading times alone. I also really like the new spells that they added. They even added the fly spell, although I'm not that high enough level to use have access to it just yet, but I can't wait to try it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom