Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Taim

Educated
I played through Icewind Dale after buying the enhanced editions of the IE games on a cheap sale, and IWD is the one I never really played through before.

It's thoroughly... meh. Yeah, the graphics and music are beautiful. The writing is decent. But it's just a linear dungeon romp with IE RTwP combat. I mostly enjoyed BG2's mid to high level combat, but that was also nicely interspersed with exploration and side quests. IWD is just the combat, and it would be a million times better if it were proper turn-based. I spent most of my time in IWD thinking "yeah this encounter is pretty good, but boy I wish it were turn based so I could actually properly aim my area effect spells and not have enemies walk out of their area of effect before they're even launched, which is made worse by the fact that there are no indicators for the size of the area the spell would affect". Thinking about that port of IWD to the ToEE engine some dude is working on (looks like vapourware but still) makes me way more excited than thinking about playing IWD as-is again. RTwP just isn't a very good system for D&D based games.
After finishing BG2 again for the 7th time, I've returned to IWD for my first "replay" of it.

I say "replay" because I only tried playing it through once long ago, and didn't finish it. I can't remember where I got to as it was yonks ago, when the game was first released, and I can barely remember anything about it now.

I'm just finishing up the Vale of Shadows, and so far it's definitely been "meh". To add to your summary, what's bugging me the most is the game's predictability.

All the trash mobs so far are easily beatable using the same tactics, and when you step into an area you can pretty much guess what's coming where. It's making it a pretty dull affair so far unfortunately, and low level D&D just doesn't have enough dynamics to stay interesting for long either.

When the game stops and throws you a different challenge, then it feels far better. I've just fought Mylos in the Vale Tomb and, whilst it wasn't anything majorly outstanding, just having to change up tactics helped. This is where BG2 shone, because you could stumble over all kinds of enemies, each requiring different approaches, regardless of where you were in the game.

I'll persist, but it's definitely a :3/5: game so far for me. I do expect it to improve more as both the character levels and difficulty rises.
IWD vanilla or EE?

What's your party?

Falksi

Arcane
I played through Icewind Dale after buying the enhanced editions of the IE games on a cheap sale, and IWD is the one I never really played through before.

It's thoroughly... meh. Yeah, the graphics and music are beautiful. The writing is decent. But it's just a linear dungeon romp with IE RTwP combat. I mostly enjoyed BG2's mid to high level combat, but that was also nicely interspersed with exploration and side quests. IWD is just the combat, and it would be a million times better if it were proper turn-based. I spent most of my time in IWD thinking "yeah this encounter is pretty good, but boy I wish it were turn based so I could actually properly aim my area effect spells and not have enemies walk out of their area of effect before they're even launched, which is made worse by the fact that there are no indicators for the size of the area the spell would affect". Thinking about that port of IWD to the ToEE engine some dude is working on (looks like vapourware but still) makes me way more excited than thinking about playing IWD as-is again. RTwP just isn't a very good system for D&D based games.
After finishing BG2 again for the 7th time, I've returned to IWD for my first "replay" of it.

I say "replay" because I only tried playing it through once long ago, and didn't finish it. I can't remember where I got to as it was yonks ago, when the game was first released, and I can barely remember anything about it now.

I'm just finishing up the Vale of Shadows, and so far it's definitely been "meh". To add to your summary, what's bugging me the most is the game's predictability.

All the trash mobs so far are easily beatable using the same tactics, and when you step into an area you can pretty much guess what's coming where. It's making it a pretty dull affair so far unfortunately, and low level D&D just doesn't have enough dynamics to stay interesting for long either.

When the game stops and throws you a different challenge, then it feels far better. I've just fought Mylos in the Vale Tomb and, whilst it wasn't anything majorly outstanding, just having to change up tactics helped. This is where BG2 shone, because you could stumble over all kinds of enemies, each requiring different approaches, regardless of where you were in the game.

I'll persist, but it's definitely a :3/5: game so far for me. I do expect it to improve more as both the character levels and difficulty rises.
IWD vanilla or EE?

What's your party?
EE.

Barbarian, Cavalier, garbage Fighter/Druid, Cleric/Theif, Archer, Mage

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am playing the EE and this is my first romp with IWD. So far it is just okay, i finished shadow vale which started interesting but got boring after you beat the first skeleton mage. The final room was interesting but 80% of the encounters are the same boring skeleton.

Party
Sorcerer
Kensai that will be dual classed to mage (yeah cliche)
Fighter/cleric
Assassin
Skald
Shapeshift druid

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am playing the EE and this is my first romp with IWD. So far it is just okay, i finished shadow vale which started interesting but got boring after you beat the first skeleton mage. The final room was interesting but 80% of the encounters are the same boring skeleton.

Party
Sorcerer
Kensai that will be dual classed to mage (yeah cliche)
Fighter/cleric
Assassin
Skald
Shapeshift druid
Rejoice, the final dungeon in shadow vale is Josh's first dungeon.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
dragon's eye is much better than shadow vale so far. glad the quality is ramping up. there are just much more variety in the dungeon's roster and the encounter design is much thoughtful. it's also maybe because i am level 5 ish now and have more stuff to play with. DnD 1-3rd level was always kinda boring. 4-13/14 were always the best.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Halfway into dorn's keep now. Shadow vale isnt a good impression for the majority of the game which is excellent dungeon crawling. The soundtrack is excellent too. Otherwise the game is starting to get a bit too easy due to high level spells and equipment now (playing on core, prolly will raise it) but yeah each dungeon feel distinct with tons of various encounters.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Post your party at some point. Are you playing the EE? Also, do you want to coop IWD2 eventually? I had a campaign started with a friend, but never finished it, and I'd like to start a new one but I find coop fun to spoil the game by playing it solo.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Post your party at some point. Are you playing the EE? Also, do you want to coop IWD2 eventually? I had a campaign started with a friend, but never finished it, and I'd like to start a new one but I find coop fun to spoil the game by playing it solo.
Yeah, EE. I will be playing iwd 2 for sure but probably go solo like usual.

Beans00

Augur
I just thought I would post, I've never particularly liked the icewind dale games. I always thought the encounter design was bad, it was boring. Bad story, good music and art design.

That being said I have been playing IWD 1(the ee for pure convenience, neither of us are using any busted kits) co op with a friend. He has never played any IE game and we have been having a pretty good time running 3 characters each. So I guess this game was always better in co op.

Question for anyone who knows, how would we play IWD 2 co op? GOG version and either direct ip connect or maybe gameranger?

AwesomeButton

Patron
I play using something called Game Ranger: https://www.gameranger.com/

I've only played the most up to date original IWD with more RP and headcanoning as I played. After I finished it and the expansions, I'm curious to try the EE just for powergaming fun.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, EE. I will be playing iwd 2 for sure but probably go solo like usual.
Solo?
Let me guess, you're gonna do a Paladin of Mystra (for arcane spells like Mirror Image) or some other fancy multiclassing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom