Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It may have been "competing" with Diablo but IWD wasn't expected to be a huge multimillion seller. It didn't even match BG in sales but it still had a very high return on investment because it only took them a year to make it.

IWD was "simplified" cause
http://o.rpgvaultarchive.ign.com/features/interviews/icewind_a.shtml
Black Isle had just finished up Baldur's Gate and Fallout 2, and many were working on Torment at the time, and all of these games were heavily dialogue oriented. We said, why don't we make something that is a little more accessible, something that you can play whenever you want, know what you need to do next, but give it a strong story. We bounced around how this would work and came up with the Dungeon Crawl idea. I know that sounds dumb, but essentially we were thinking of making a game like The Bard's Tale, or Wizardry, but add in the story elements that couldn't be done back then.

selkin

Liturgist
That's an interesting interview, thanks!
smileJap.gif

Now I see why Planescape: Torment is looking less good then IWD. The people who knew how to make nice-looking games were working on IWD
icon_smile.gif
Just kidding.

kmonster

Augur
Actually Baldur's Gate is closer to Diablo than Icewind Dale is. One chosen character who hires helpers in a dark, pseudo-religious athmosphere while Icewind Dale is more in the classical Goldbox direction, a party of characters with different strengths and weaknesses work together as team in tactical combat, helping their world and becoming heroes.

Revenant

But the biggest obstacle was that H&S and turn-based AD&D is incompatible. In my opinion.
Another ignorant novice detected. AD&D is phase based, not turn based, and both turn based and real time implementations of AD&D suck. Although real time AD&D implementation can still be played somewhat like phase based, so it's slightly better than turn based, in my opinion.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Diablo 2 combat is more about... you click an enemy over and over, as fast as you can, until it dies.
Baldur's Gate combat is more about... you click an enemy, and then watch your character attack it, automatically, over and over, until it dies.

you're watching auto-attacks in BG because the combat system is based strictly on time (6 secs = 1 round).

If you have 2 attacks, that means you attack twice for every 6 secs that passes.
It doesn't matter how fast you click, or even how many times the avatar seems to animate an attack, you will only attack twice, no more, no less.

The other... big difference... is that in BG you have (up to) five other avatars to control, so there's lots of pausing, setting them to do things, then unpausing (aka tactics)... you can only pause Diablo 2 with the Esc key, and doing so blocks out the game, so you can't do anything - except take a deep breath - before you plunge back in...

both games are very fun, but they do play differently...
(and this without going into the dialogue and questing of BG, which further separates it from hackfests...)

Dorateen

Arcane
Actually Baldur's Gate is closer to Diablo than Icewind Dale is. One chosen character who hires helpers in a dark, pseudo-religious athmosphere while Icewind Dale is more in the classical Goldbox direction, a party of characters with different strengths and weaknesses work together as team in tactical combat, helping their world and becoming heroes.

That works for me. Although, playing BG with a custom party, there is not so much daylight between IWD in terms of gameplay. Icewind Dale had more ruthless combat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Black Isle had just finished up Baldur's Gate"

STFU

"Actually Baldur's Gate is closer to Diablo than Icewind Dale is."

No. It says a lot when your very first point is a flat out fukkin' lie. You do NOT hire 'helpers' in BG. Fuck nutz. And, BG and IWD have the same exact game play. FFS

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"STFU"

Context, Volly. Chris Parker, the Black Isle producer, was talking about the games Black Isle was publishing.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I've been replaying Icewind Dale recently. And i decided to play Heart of Winter AFTER i finished the game. (Exported party)

So after the first dialogue with Wylfdene my party simply stopped talking. Silent on both selection and orders.
I tried loading earlier saves but it somehow effects all of my HoW saves. No problem with the main game though.

Nothing came up from googling it.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Monocause

Arcane
Nope, never happened to me. I actually remember IWD&HoW as really clean games, especially for modern standards.

Perhaps it's something with your hardware acceleration? Do you use EAX? Have you tried turning it off? Par the course, if running on W7 try experimenting with compat options. If you're on WinXP try running DXDiag and reducing levels of sound hardware acceleration to see if it helps.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Tried toggling EAX.
Already installed the G3 fixpack infinitron linked.
Even reinstalled the whole game.

None of this worked, now im checking out the first link.

EDIT: How are animation changes going to help?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Was this not fixed in the ToLM patch, as in, there is a large patch for HoW that adds ToLM and fixes many bugs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried toggling EAX.
Already installed the G3 fixpack infinitron linked.
Even reinstalled the whole game.

None of this worked, now im checking out the first link.

EDIT: How are animation changes going to help?

It also fixes a sound bug.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Haha i finally found a solution. :D

The character's voices were somehow reset and i just chose the voices again in character sheet customize menu.

Thanks guys for trying to help.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone read the Drizzt novels, especially the Dark Elf trilogy, by Salvatore?
Do they provide any background story or "lore" relevant for the Icewind Dale games?

selkin

Liturgist
It's about dark elves so it provides some lore on Loth the Menzoberanzzan the Underdark and so on. And there are dark elves and Underdark in Icewind Dale too so yes I guess it's not a bad source for lore.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do they provide any background story or "lore" relevant for the Icewind Dale games?

Well, Dark Elf triliogy is mainly about the Underdark and drows, no Icewind Dale until 3/4 of 3rd book. They have got good description of the Underdark and some of its denizens.
Next trilogy 's only first book takes place in Icewind Dale and don't really have much lore relevant for games. Second and third books are good road adventures, second book takes us to Luskan, Silverymoon and Evermoors while third book takes us to south to Baldurs Gate and Luskan. So still no lore for games :)

Erebus

Arcane

I seem to remember that the evil cristal that appears in IWD1 (Crenshinibon or something like that) was introduced in a Drizzt novel.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Yup, basically some elements of the IWD ending are inspired by Salvatore's drivel. That's why Yxunomei is a much better villain than Belhifet or whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom