Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Contribution needs a bit of tweaking overall. Sometimes I've been on the event from the beginning, contributing in everything and all I'll get is bronze or silver, whilst sometimes I'll just pop in, trade a few blows and get a gold medal, makes it look unfair.

Also, I've read from other people (haven't experienced it myself) that it only accounts for damage done, so if you've been buffing allies, protecting and resurrecting them you have little chance to get a good contribution level (or anything at all).

Angthoron

Arcane
Myeah, contribution does seem to work funny and will need eventual retuning. Maybe not right now as they have more serious issues to tackle (like WvW and sPvP non-tourney being joinable as an actual group for one, and maybe just maybe make sure that WvW doesn't take 4 hours of queue without knowing what the queue actually is, argh). Definitely should count contribution from heals/buffs/resses, though, they've got to look into that, otherwise they're sort of acting against their own declared vision.

The thing is that even if you get bronze or silver you don't lose much at all. It's approximately 85% and 75% of gold respectively. Woopdeefuckingdoo. You can get bronze by accident at times.

Angthoron

Arcane
Myeah, it's true. I've gotten gold awards for just accidentally Lotusing over a bunch of mobs. Not my biggest complaint, but it does need tuning - people should at least not get full gold for killing just one wave.

Edit: Then there's the weird event chain in one of the zones where people usually get Bronze even if they stay for the whole duration, the Centaur Shaman thingy. Lots of suggestions like "Don't kill the elemental hands when they spawn!" and stuff flood the zone every time. I did get gold for it, but seeing as I did nothing differently from the time I got bronze (in fact, i spent more time ressing people and being down on the Gold attempt), I am again not sure how that worked.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
which thingy? the centaur shaman thingy with the 3 champion attack beasts, then the elemental, then the shaman, then holding the fort against waves of attackers, in the zone with the cyclops event chain who has an instantkill aoe that all the moronic noobs fail to doge?
got gold there even though the elemental hands instantly died for no reason after spawning.

yeah, there are a fuckton of issues with events in general, not just contribution, like events that involve two friendly npcs carrying something to hometown spazzing out about the same distance from goal all the time (might be people thinking the npcs will walk the last bit alone and running off for greener pastures and the ai fizzling out due to no player proximity), stuff dying for no reason, enough effect spam to make any visual attack clues invisible, mobs skipping animation phases due to player zerg size, players and mobs flickering in and out of existance from zerg overload and lotsa other shit.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, that one. Did it twice in a row, one time, got bronze, other time, gold, pretty much same amount of contribution both times. Dunno, maybe it depends on that timer somehow? the faster it's complete, the higher the medal?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
certainly a possibility. would make sense to have different criteria, like the mission ratings in factions.

Can you guest foreign servers and get bonus XP for kills that way? Leveling off some Euro/Asian servers during NA primetime would seem to be a good idea. In the mornings at NA I get 500 XP for kills normally worth under 100 XP. Killing like 6 fireflies is more XP than an event. I think it about doubles your overall XP rate.

Angthoron

Arcane
Haven't had much problem with that yet, but oh man, I sure brainfarted hard against a ranger a few days ago when I downed the fucker but forgot to kill his pet. Protip: Kill ranger pets, otherwise they'll heal the fuckers at twice the speed.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I can't help but feel it's a bit TOO difficult to finish off downed people in PVP. The time it takes to channel the killing blow and the amount of HP they have while downed means more often than not you'll get downed yourself if you try to finish off some downed sod. I'd cut the hp pool of downed people in half and reduce the channel of the killing blow anim by ~33%.

Teammates with CC should be enough to stop people from channeling the KB mid-fight.

Angthoron

Arcane
Dunno, hasn't been an issue for me a whole lot - only really ever a problem in WvW when people are laying support AoE around their teammate, and nobody else is bothering to cover them in massive ranged attacks but me. Even then, a full series of unloads has mostly done the job for me - and when the situation is reversed I'm usually glad that I have that moment to breathe :P

I haven't had a problem in PvP. Time they waste playing tricks on the ground is time they aren't helping their team. If someone wants to spend 30 seconds playing games while I'm capping a point and pinging them with arrows, fine by me.

I've never had problems with people in WvW concentrating fire on a downed player. Everyone wants a kill. The finisher move is a complete waste of time for the most part. More annoying is the rate at which people can be revived if traveling in a pack and with attentive teammates.

Condiments

Educated
I can't help but feel it's a bit TOO difficult to finish off downed people in PVP. The time it takes to channel the killing blow and the amount of HP they have while downed means more often than not you'll get downed yourself if you try to finish off some downed sod. I'd cut the hp pool of downed people in half and reduce the channel of the killing blow anim by ~33%.

Teammates with CC should be enough to stop people from channeling the KB mid-fight.

If you're playing thief two great ways of finishing people off is using Black Powder to blind their damage and CC attempts, or if you're using daggers Cloak and Dagger for the stealth stomp. Black powder is almost TOO good against downed state, because it nullifies things like the guardian bubble knockback. Thief's and mesmers I usually just chill back and kill with my shortbow, which makes short work of them. I've actually noticed recently that the "true" downed mesmer usually has an icon floating above them when they're downed, making it an easy stomp.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
^ The symbol only appears if someone abuses the Call Target button to make an ass out of the clone mechanic, actually.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I decided to try a venomshare thief in sPVP. The concept behind venomshare is running either three poisons + thieves guild or 2 poisons + ambush + thieves guild. On top of that, you want the 30pt shadow arts skill Venomous aura, which applies your poisons to the attacks of all nearby allies. You may also want to pick up the 20pt shadow arts trait Leeching Venom, which makes your venom attacks steal life, the 30pt Deadly Arts skill that makes all venoms last for an additional strike and the 20pt deadly art trait that makes your venom skills recharge 20% faster. On top of that, you're also getting the 15pt deadly art minor that makes your poisons give vulnerability and the 25pt that makes you do additional damage to things that have conditions.

Now, venom conditions don't stack in intensity (boo), but they do stack in duration. And pets/minions count as allies. And all allies benefit from the traits you gave your venoms (last an extra strike, heal on attack, weaken on poison).
I tried running with a swarm necromancer and popping my 3 poisons in short succession. Dear god, everything melted. EVERYTHING. It's not as bursty as heartseeker crit spam. But if you have an ally or two nearby the short-term dps is through the roof.

Next up I'm gonna try out Leaping Super Immortal Death Troll Legendary Unicorn Blossom™.
It's a double-dagger build running signet of malice, calthrops, roll for initiative, shadowstep and dagger storm. With energized sigils to regain stamina and maxed acrobatics/trickery. Fun skills will be:
Assassins reward which heals you whenever you use initiative.
Uncatchable, which leaves behind calthrops when you dodge.
Quick pockets, which gives you more initiative when you swap weapons.
Slowed pulse, which gives you regeneration when you have 5+ stacks of bleeding
Power of inertia, which gives you might when you dodge.
Also the minors Shadow refuge (free smoke bombs @ 25% hp), Feline grace (dodge returns some of the stamina used), Kleptomaniac (stealing gives 3 initiative) and preparedness (+3 maximum initiative).

Between signet of malice and assassins reward you should easily outheal the paltry amount of damage you'll receive in the few split-seconds you're not either dodging (and dropping calthrops) or spinning in the air with death blossom.

Of course, both builds rely heavily on conditions, so any guardian running save yourselves/contemplation of purity is gonna be a right pain. D:
But then, guardian pretty much hardcounters thief no matter what setup the thief is running.

Condiments

Educated
Of course, both builds rely heavily on conditions, so any guardian running save yourselves/contemplation of purity is gonna be a right pain. D:
But then, guardian pretty much hardcounters thief no matter what setup the thief is running.

Hah, most guardians I see are running around with a greatsword like retards and not doing a whole lot besides swinging and spinning around. The few smarter ones running triple mediation are absolutely menacing. What weaponset are you running with your venom build?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Hah, most guardians I see are running around with a greatsword like retards and not doing a whole lot besides swinging and spinning around. The few smarter ones running triple mediation are absolutely menacing. What weaponset are you running with your venom build?

Sword/pistol for the shadowstep and pistol whip. shortbow alternate.

My guardian is triple shout all-support running shield/scepter and staff. Works p. well. I'm tempted to switch staff fo rhammr though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom