Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I never do the "subtle" trolls, and this isn't one. I love this freaking game.

innovations in mechanics (such as auto-activating quests that reward you for doing "contextually appropriate things in the area")
You've got to be trolling... that mechanic was already used in WoW and SW:ToR.

The people who haven't played GW2 are too easily detectable in this thread.

Yeah, saying GW2 devs are humble is an obvious troll or a legitimate dumbass. Those fucks spend about 90% of the time talking about how revolutionary and humble they are. That shit facade was a huge red flag for me. Too bad they got Annie to sell out in the process. A good codexer was lost that day.

The game's design and attitude toward the player are different. "For Gamers, By Gamers" - it really feels like this. Very different from WoW's and Diablo3's "For Gamers, by greedy somewhat competent bastards" design.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Quickly getting tired of n00blets who haven't the foggiest clue how sPVP works.
Last match, only one person on our team ignored the big clusterfuck fight in the middle and made sure the objectives were capped. Look at the scoreboard and tak a wild guess who
xZweT.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yay I bought the game - gonna download it tonight. Any specific servers to join etc?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Eeh, you're pretty much in the middle of both timezones, It just comes to which server you prefer.

EDIT: Whops, I got the server wrong.

EDIT2: After breaking my head with fucking timezones, it comes down to when you intend to play:

Afternoon in GMT+8, morning in Europe, past midnight in the 'Kwa (PST)

Morning in GMT+8, past midnight in Europe, afternoon in the 'Kwa (PST)

RK47

Patron
Actually weekday play is like
Offwork 1900-0000 Sleep
Saturday is like 0700-????
Sunday is more ????-0000

Still, I'm pretty excited. My last MMO is Warhammer Online. Let's hope this one doesn't let me down. I'm gonna roll an engineer I think.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Truly epic and majestic and gritty and deadly final boss fight.

Now compare that to Shiro at the end of Factions and weep.

Hell, compare that to Mursaat.

Hell, compare that to PRE-SEARING.

Angthoron

Arcane
That's a story mission. Not sure how there are that many people inside it but that's a story mission.

Black

Arcane
Are personal bosses designed to provide retarded combat? Especially considering that that IS the boss of GW2 as of now, right?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the last part of the story mission, killing zhaitan, takes place in arah, a dungeon.
it's not soloable.

Angthoron

Arcane
the last part of the story mission, killing zhaitan, takes place in arah, a dungeon.
it's not soloable.
A-ha.

Didn't watch the whole fight because stuff, but if the whole thing is of the same challenge level, then what the heck - earlier dungeons have harder encounters.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
that youtube video was only of the very last bit of the fight.

you only kill him off. NPCs are the ones actually defeating him, while you fight of waves of zombies that magically appear on the flying ship

Angthoron

Arcane
that youtube video was only of the very last bit of the fight.

you only kill him off. NPCs are the ones actually defeating him, while you fight of waves of zombies that magically appear on the flying ship
A-la Cataclysm (or partly Wrath) ending, or The Rift in LotRO, gotcha.[/quote]

I thought the Lich in GW1 was a bad boss, but the number of bosses that are far worse than him in GW2 is staggering...

Did have an event this morning when few people were on. 3 other people + NPCs holding off Centaurs attacking multiple areas in Harathi Hinterlands, then assaulting their camp. Was actually pretty good with so few people to handle things, and getting 150 bonus XP of enemies that normal get 50 XP per kill is awesome.

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T WE HAVE GW1-STYLE INSTANCES ANET YOU FUCKERS? They can obviously spawn overflow servers on demand, there is no reason at all you shouldn't be able to make a personal instance for you and a party wherever you like. One of the biggest points of their new game, the dynamic events, rendered completely meaningless because 99% of the time you just need to show up rather than actually play well or even pay attention. All these events where I basically turn on auto-fire and then take a 5 min break to come back to a gold level reward.

roll-a-die

Magister
I thought the Lich in GW1 was a bad boss, but the number of bosses that are far worse than him in GW2 is staggering...

Did have an event this morning when few people were on. 3 other people + NPCs holding off Centaurs attacking multiple areas in Harathi Hinterlands, then assaulting their camp. Was actually pretty good with so few people to handle things, and getting 150 bonus XP of enemies that normal get 50 XP per kill is awesome.

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T WE HAVE GW1-STYLE INSTANCES ANET YOU FUCKERS? They can obviously spawn overflow servers on demand, there is no reason at all you shouldn't be able to make a personal instance for you and a party wherever you like. One of the biggest points of their new game, the dynamic events, rendered completely meaningless because 99% of the time you just need to show up rather than actually play well or even pay attention. All these events where I basically turn on auto-fire and then take a 5 min break to come back to a gold level reward.
I've walked into an event with 2 percent left on the enemy morale, dropped an AOE and gotten gold contribution. The events need balance, all in all being honest this is a fairly shitty release. The "Stress tests" didn't provide them enough data to properly fix things. And the amount of developer errors leading to people getting banned is rather funny.

As far as event contribution goes, I think I've mastered doing just barely enough damage to get credit on kills for XP/Event/Heart/drops before moving on to more stuff. The ironic thing is that while it's kind of an assholish thing to do, I'm actually helping other people get partial credit for more things too. I really wish people would be better about killing things together. No reason for 2 people to clear half a zone each and then wait on respawns when they could clear both halves together faster for double of everything.

RK47

Patron
hmmmmmmm........underwhelming experience with the engineer. For some reason he reminds me of the warhammer engineer.
will have to play more to find out.

Got on seafarer's rest - in game id: Arkay Fortyseven

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
hmmmmmmm........underwhelming experience with the engineer. For some reason he reminds me of the warhammer engineer.
will have to play more to find out.

Got on seafarer's rest - in game id: Arkay Fortyseven
Will toss you an invitan.

Engi plays quite differently depending on what kit you're using and what traits you get in my experience. If you want another jack of all trades instead, Elementalist is pretty fun once you get the hang of switching attunements in combat instead of just staying in fire throughout. I had enough fun with guardian to make it through the endgame but it IS pretty one-dimensional. Gets a bit better in dungeons and PVP where you can do tanky/supporty shit instead. Loving thief atm.

On the topic of events, I think it's way too easy to get gold contribution. I remember public quests in warhammer online it sorted everyone by contribution and only the top x people got gold and the biggest rewards. I honestly think that was a better solution. There also ought to be a plat medal if someone solos an event in the wee hours of the morning. :P

RK47

Patron
fuck that shit. everyone needs to be rewarded no matter how little they contribute.
It's part of the fun. Whether the dude stays or not didn't matter. As long as he didn't deny others of the reward as well as in Warhammer did. The dude didn't even want the reward and still he got it. That leads to pointless random chances.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
fuck that shit. everyone needs to be rewarded no matter how little they contribute.
It's part of the fun. Whether the dude stays or not didn't matter. As long as he didn't deny others of the reward as well as in Warhammer did. The dude didn't even want the reward and still he got it. That leads to pointless random chances.

You misunderstand. At the moment, getting a gold contribution is trivially easy, while you'll barely ever see a silver or bronze unless you showed up in the last 15 seconds of an event. Someone who stays for 25% of the event shouldn't walk away with a gold contribution. Silver or bronze is fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom