Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am reading that the game's translation is very liberal.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
From the leaks seems that Engage is player-sexual for support. Not know if this is particular change for NA version or if this is how it is in Japan version as well

Puukko

Arcane
Apparently they cut out anything involving romance with teenage characters. Now I am not going to throw a fuss about that specifically, but any sort of censorship in localization I am against on principle.

Read: take localizers behind the barn.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
This is why all weebs need to learn Japanese. It's the only way to avoid this shit. Bonus points if you get a job as a translator replacing some faggot

Bonus points if you get a job as a translator replacing some faggot

If you're going to make money translating then there is no point stooping as low as translating video games or anime for crap pay. You will make a lot more money translating powerpoint slides and emails for internal business communications.

You're fighting an uphill battle where even if you manage to become a translator, other people have more authority and the final say about the localization and chances are they're going to overrule you. There isn't any way to excise corporate cancer. It begins in the HR department. The HR department gets a couple of people who are lefty, and then they hire their friends who think like them (rather than finding the best candidate). During the hiring process, the interviewers ask political questions, and then filter out people who don't align with their beliefs. Furthermore, Japanese companies used to be immune to the culture war because they were funded by the Japanese economy, but now Japanese companies are becoming increasingly dependent on foreign markets. I expect them to begin pandering more and more.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Apparently they cut out anything involving romance with teenage characters. Now I am not going to throw a fuss about that specifically, but any sort of censorship in localization I am against on principle.

How teenage are we talking? Because there is quite a difference between 17 for example and 13

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

How teenage are we talking? Because there is quite a difference between 17 for example and 13
We are talking about 17.

I'm going to give this a little while to see if someone mods in better subs while I finish some other games. If that doesn't happen I guess I'll have to pay with Japanese text even if that will be a pain

Rephyrnomicon

Novice

Apparently anyone 16 and under had their romances cut. 17+ still in.

deuxhero

Arcane
Reminder the leak of this also claimed there was a FE4 remake in the works. The game would be utterly unrecognizable with this level of censorship applied to it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll just play the Nippon version and use OCR I guess. Fuck Nintendo Treehouse. Sony and Nintendo opening western branch is a mistake

Nelka

Educated
25h played on Emu. Story is shit, the evil guys are just like Jessie and James from Pokemon, can't do anything right and fail on every step, it's hilariously bad. Even if there's a drama about translation - don't care about it guys, writing is so stupid that even censored/broken translation isn't changing anything. Support scenes are short, very bland, non interesting. Same about cast. Play just for gameplay, it's of course veryyy good, emblems give some depth and pair well with the weapon triangle system, good to be back playing some more Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Nelka

Educated
ppl play FE for the story?!
It's not about the story per se. It's about the presentation. Even if the story is just an excuse, make it bearable. 3H wasn't perfect, but for many newcomers that was the first game in the franchise, and that was a pretty good (fanfic) read. I actually liked some characters, they were memorable and I somehow cared about them during the story. On the other hand: Engage's story, dialogs are just braindead, and that's bad even if we are talking about the game where the gameplay is more important.

Puukko

Arcane
I was invested in Three Houses', but it still had dropped plot points and underutilized characters. The support conversations were still too tropey (Japanese devs would sooner off themselves than write something without excessive use of tropes) but they remedied a lot of those faults in Three Hopes. But that was handled by KT, funny that the musou division has far more capable writers than IS does.

The worst kind of story is one that is both bad and wastes your time. So far Engage isn't too bad about that, though it already has a comically drawn out death scene in the first two hours that almost felt like a parody but that requires self awareness on behalf of the writers and I don't expect that much from IS.

What I'm wondering is whether this is a chicken or egg situation. Do we get these sort of stories because fans truly don't care and just want low hanging waifu bait, or is this a case of hacks with cushy jobs who get to write garbage they themselves think is genius but that no on else likes?

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
You have more charathers than your deployment limit so the conversations help you decide what order to kill off people in

Personally

Kill people who talk in food puns first, then kill lolis second, then shysters, and then anachronisms.

Nelka

Educated
You have more charathers than your deployment limit so the conversations help you decide what order to kill off people in

Personally

Kill people who talk in food puns first, then kill lolis second, then shysters, and then anachronisms.
Celine talks all the time about tea. How do you rank this?

Tigranes

Arcane
Three Houses was still shit writing by any standard, it just had enough of a politics vibe and toned down the idiotic tropes slightly to make you think maybe, possibly, it will end up being tolerable. So I'll just go back to autoskipping everything the first time. I really do wonder where they get & approve these morons that couldn't even write a knockoff bootleg generic anime.

Socials can be done quicker with less timewasting, and the gameplay is solid, right? That's all that's needed for a good nu-FE.

Puukko

Arcane
Damn, chapter 5 is twisting the knife in the wound. I had atrocious luck towards the end (multiple missed 80-90% hits in a row) and the pattern leads me to believe there's some fuckery going on with the RNG. Experience tells me doing moves in different orders with different weapons should change the seed but that doesn't seem to be the case. Lost units so ended up restarting. At least I am playing way more cleanly now.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hiya papaya. Healers are much cooler now. Maps are neat and some of the props can be destroyed if they get caught between crossfire. Music is excellent. I'm very much enjoying this new FE.

Sunri

Liturgist
They added so many unnecessary things to this series, pets presents fucking gym with workouts all those time wasters game would be better if they focused on core gameplay.

Puukko

Arcane
Ryujinx-2023-01-23-02-50-30.jpg

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I got enough time while my MC was crying over someone I just met for me to get up, walk to the computer, open up RPGCodex and type a displeased post about the amount of crying I can't skip in my game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom