Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Eye of the Beholder Thread

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
DOS 1.7
V 1.4 has very funny bug, when held in hand armor increased AC.
EOB 3 was meh.

Mortmal

Arcane
Actually EOB3 isnt that bad to nowaday standards , i finished it, no as good as first two but good enough.

Topher

Cipher
I had a lot of fun with the first game, DOS version, but I never finished it or my LP for that matter.

darkling

Educated
There is one major difference between the Amiga and DOS versions of EOB 1....... the Amiga port has the ending cinematic is intact where it was cut from the DOS version and replaced with a blob of text when you beat the game. Apparently an extra floppy in the box woulda cost SSI too much money.

TO be fair, though, despite knowing this I've never played the Amiga version and have beat the game a few times. Luckily there's youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtU9ZWTm5bA

edit: Oh, 1 and 2 are the best. I tried 3 the other day and found it very awful. It just feels bad. That forest is just ridiculous, with the 3-way paths and shit. 2 has some clever NPC interactions (particularly for the time and sub-sub-genre of dungeon master-alikes (that halfling bastard!)) and 1 is a pure awesome dungeon crawl.

Westwood #1

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
EOB series is eaisly the worst game series based on D&D that had actually got more than 1 game. FFS L A M E

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Volourn said:
EOB series is eaisly the worst game series based on D&D that had actually got more than 1 game. FFS L A M E

Nope, that would be NWN. FACT.

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
I always found Eye of the Beholder to be a bit popamole, what with the realtime combat and all.

Actually, you wouldn't think it, but the Gameboy Advanced version of EotB is really worth checking out. Combat is done Gold Box-style, isometric turn-based, and it's pretty fun actually. I certainly wouldn't suggest that it's definitive, but it's a pleasant surprise for a handheld game. That, and the abundance of GBA emulators on various handhelds makes it easy to carry with you.

made

Arcane
theInsouciantFistOfPiety said:
I'm beginning to think we should start banning anyone who uses that word as a synonym for real-time combat.

And why would you single out EoB when it wasn't a remarkable example of the entire genre in any way?

Zomg

Arbiter
Damn the priest should have fixed tod underhill's crippling AIDS while he was resurrecting him

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Nope, that would be NWN. FACT."

Codex is predictable. Codex is always predictable. But, nope, EOTB remains the worse D&D series ever. No contest whatsoever. Shit, shit, shit. :rpgcodex:

Zomg

Arbiter
What are the other ones that are bad bad, I can only think of one-offs when I think of truly shitty D&D games (Hillsfarrrrrrrr)

I looked on wikipedia and saw SSI made some non-D&D RPGs called Shard of Spring/Demon's Winter in the late '80s, anyone know anything about them? They kinda sound like some of that flaky new age crystals and furry shit that SSI would get into with a D&D license to rein them in like Skyrealms of Jorune.

Achilles

Arcane
Hey, EOB still looks good after all these years.You've got to love 2d graphics.

Zomg

Arbiter
Westwood pretty much owned up the 256 color VGA era along with Origin

Those 256 color cartoon games look so much better than mid-late '90s FMV and all but a few prerendered sprite games it's absurd, they actually made M&M6 AFTER M&M3

I remember I learned to associate sharp SVGA font text with uglyfuck games

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Definitive versions are Amiga for EOB1, PC for EOB2 and Absolute Denial for EOB3.

For me, what breaks EOB3 are the horribly stupid design decisions. A good example is the first dungeon you come across, the Mausoleum. It's optional. Only part in all 3 games that is. It's also the hardest part of EOB3. Your biggest reward is the Rod Of Restoration, which is only useful in the Mausoleum.

Another bad design decision was having one of the tougher monsters in the game paired with one of the weakest monsters in the game on the last level, and then give the player a SuperDuperSword of Instakilling Undead at the start of the level, making the tougher monster actually easier to kill than the weaker one. But then again, common sense isn't prevalent in the EOB games to begin with...

EDIT: Oh, and the EOB games are propably the games least bound by (A)D&D rules of any game bearing the official license. It's practically borderline whether you can even call it a D&D game.

DaveO

Erudite
My guess about Shard of Spring and Demon's Winter is that the combat is going to be the hard part. SSI has a reputation for some nasty optional fights in the games I'm familiar with(Wizard's Crown, Eternal Dagger, and Phantasie).

In regards to Eye of the Beholder, the first two games are worth a playthru but the 3rd one is bad on many aspects.

dr. one

Augur
the only good EoB is the second one, though still far from being as memorable as, say, Chaos Strikes Back.
definitive version is the one played on Amiga with single disk drive.

Zomg

Arbiter
The EoBs are more like Might and Magic with a little bit of real time for tension purposes, the DMs are full blown action games.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Volourn said:

Is it really worse than the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance series?

That looked bad when I saw an acquaintance play it for 5 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom