Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Eye of the Beholder Thread

Taghor

Literate
Since i do not want to play and replay DH multiple times to find out what class might be offers a good experience, what are your recommendations?

I consider a Fighter/Cleric or even a Fighter/Mage/Cleric. Is a Thief component required at all?

Do monsters respawn in the game so one can make up for xp spread among multiple classes?
I used cleric/mage which was quite fun. I don't think that the fighter give enough benefits to make him necessary.
Plug the cleric has a very nice range weapon with the Spiritual Hammer spell which is very useful.

Thanks for the heads up! I tried it with a fighter/mage/cleric. Char level progression still was acceptable.

After a few hours of play i must say that overall the game is pretty generic. I miss a compelling story arc that gives me a reason why i should progress. Just to gather treasures is no strong inventive to me.

When reaching levels 4 or five with undead i got shocked at which pace they make you lose experience. That's very bad game design as it leads to save scumming and RNG with ranged weapons to not get hit.

After some hiatus i tried again but no change. RNG and reloading if necessary. I guess i leave it at that. Too bad as i hoped to get more EoB style fun.

Maybe i'll have a look into Legend of Grimrock next. No hurries though - the summer lures me out into the sun...

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Maybe i'll have a look into Legend of Grimrock next.
An excellent choice; both games. Do play them in chronological order. Grimrock 2 has a much better engine, but for some reason I do prefer (playing) Grimrock 1, even though the dungeon assets can work in the second game, it just feels different—more like EoB.

Spiders-1.jpg

*EoB1/LoG1

Recommend order of play:
  • Legend of Grimrock I
  • Legend of Grimrock I: One Room Round Robin II mod-dungeon [ Steam, NexusMods]
  • Legend of Grimrock II

Last edited:

Nixheb

Arcane
I recently saw the beginning of a playthrough of EOB1 on sega cd. Never bothered with this version before.
Decided to try it. After playing for some minutes and finding it remarkably faithfull to the original, the curiosity pushed me to try some cheating to explore out of bounds zones.

To my great surprise, they ported the top-left level 1 unfinished zone and the xp gaining tile behind the rockfall of the starting location !

EDIT two days later : On level five, the room with the spiders and the empty alcoves is present too. I higly suspect now that they ran a tool to generate the maps for the game from the original game, using the same datas. Quite clever if you ask !
I will probably test the AGA version in the future to see if those odities are presents two (I bet they are).

Last edited:

Nixheb

Arcane
Well, I supposed it was all well-known ! :D

You can see it mentionned here, for example :

https://ase.zorbus.net/

Quoting :

Oddities found in EOB 1​

• On level 1 at coordinates 11,14 (right at the start but there's the rubble blocking your way) there's some kind of XP giving mechanism. If you walk at the map cell you'll get XP (I got 2500 XP on a 4 character party). Maybe for debugging purposes?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I found that back in the summer of 2007 when I did an in-depth analysis of the EotB-trilogy. I found all kinds of stuff, including the walled-in Rust Monster and the +4 Adamantine Darts used in the dart trap on the 9th floor - the ones you're not supposed to be able to get.

When ASE got a big update a few years ago, I used that to find a few more things (like the +1 rock you can get on the starting floor). Following that I updated Joonas's hint-files for EotB 1 and 2 in ASE, which up to that point included direct quotes from the cluebooks... some of which didn't fit in the text box provided. I recall adding in a hint-point for that inaccessible square, just to drive adventurers up the wall. ;)

Not claiming any credit here besides the above. If anyone found those things before I did, they kept quiet about it... well, until recently.

Nixheb

Arcane
Back in the good old days, there where some hex editing cheat availables (found them on some magazines, because, well, at that time, the mainstream internet didn't had the information easily available...) - I remember clearly the day we found the xp gaining tile with a friend when testing the "walk through walls" cheat.
Maybe the first time we discovered something "the developpers" were hiding from the players in their game... a shocking revelation for a 14yo ! :D

Nixheb

Arcane
I highly encourage fans of the franchise to try the Sega CD version (the US rom is easy to find, use kega fusion as an emulator, to emulate the mouse in order to not get insane, don't forget to get BIOS ROMS easy to find too) because the game is a rather fidel port of the original PC version AND the graphical subtleties and artistic variations are quite interesting ! Some are superb, other are "meh" (I won't talk about the voices acting or the cutscene, that are... well........), but overall, it's a really pleasant experience for someone that want to replay that old chap "but hey, not the dos or the amiga version, I finished it 73times each". Really pleasant and refreshing !

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But then again, Dungeon Master 2 never got released on the Atari ST or the Ami- wait, it WAS released on the Amiga?!?
Might be relevant to your interests then:

AmigaLove review – Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep
https://www.amigalove.com/games.php?game_id=84

AmigaLove forums — Some interesting setup info
https://www.amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?t=605
https://www.amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?t=715

The TL;DR is it can only run from HDD (so it has no disk-based protection, which is a good thing), it has a different (arguably better) art than the other ports, and it's kinda slow even on big box Amigas. Basically throw 16x CPU at it on WinUAE or higher to make it playable.

---

In other news, I'm playing EoB II AGA right now, and I figured out how to transfer my EoB I AGA party. The AGA remake of the second part does not support transfers, but interestingly, the AGA remake's save files are compatible with the original ECS version (they seem to be 100% identical; it appears you can freely interchange the ECS and AGA save files). So here are my notes:

To transfer characters from the first game, you need to perform the transfer using the ECS version. Once done with the transfer, create a new save in the first slot. Copy the resulting EOBDATA0.SAV over to the vga-data directory of the AGA version, then load the savegame from the first slot normally.

Note the 0 at the end of the file name; that's the EoB II save file and it must be 46897 bytes long! EOBDATA.SAV (without the 0) is 33107 bytes; that's the EoB I save file you used for the transfer. If you get an error when loading the save game in EoB II AGA, you must have copied over EOBDATA.SAV by mistake.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice

As a coffin dodger who was there at the release, Eye of the Beholder 3 is underrated because it doesn't have the same impact as EOB 1 & 2. People were expecting something better and bigger, and they were hugely disappointed, which is evident in the game's score. By 1993, there were much more innovative and impressive RPGs available, such as Wizardry 7 M&M World of Xeen and Betrayal at Krondor and Underworld 2. Eye of the Beholder 3 can't hold a candle to titles like those; it falls far short. The expectations were through the roof after experiencing games like that.
There is nothing new in Eye of the Beholder 3, and it doesn't improve upon EOB 2, a game released in 1991. Some would even argue that it looks graphically worse and is smaller in scope. It takes only 15 hours to finish. Additionally, there was no Amiga version, which is a shame because that would have helped its popularity. In the same month of its release, Abandoned Places 2 was also released and received higher ratings. So, if you had an Amiga, you were likely playing Black Crypt or Abandoned Places 2. If you were one of the rare individuals with a gaming PC, you would be playing Ultima Underworld 2 or Wizardry 7 M&M World of Xeen and Betrayal at Krondor. With so many other RPGs available at the time, it's hard to understand why anyone would choose to play EOB3.
During that time, reviewers were much more critical, and reading their reviews gave you a good understanding of whether a game was good or bad. There were new and exciting things happening in gaming every month, and the standards were much higher. Nowadays, there are so few releases, and the overall quality tends to be mediocre. It feels like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel again.

Fixed it for you.

Ain't no endless waves of filthy ratmen NPCs and hoverbike riding blonde chicks in this part of the house.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Pretty much got fired for playing EoB:3 the week it came out too much on my laptop during a business conference instead of sleeping with disastrous results.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember when I bought each EotB-title, to the point I have the dates written down.

I knew of the first two titles well before I bought them. I had seen them both advertised and reviewed in gaming mags.

But the third game came unannounced, I had not seen any advertising or any previews for it. I didn't even know it was in development! Just *suddenly* it was on store shelves in May '93.

I instantly grabbed a copy, even if I knew that it was not going to be breaking any ground. As long as it was more of the same as the previous two, I would be happy.

Sadly it isn't. Almost every new addition works against the game. The plot doesn't make sense, the disconnect from the prequels (due to Westwood being bought up by Virgin) leaves the third game feeling like an empty husk. There are no Beholders in the game. The sound gets on people's nerves, the racial level restrictions feel like a kick in the teeth for many players, plenty of Walking Dead-scenarios, etc.

Instead of the series ending on a high note, it ends on a fart.

Desiderius

Patron
I bought EoB totally blind and was surprised that there was a fourth level...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I remember when I bought each EotB-title, to the point I have the dates written down.

I knew of the first two titles well before I bought them. I had seen them both advertised and reviewed in gaming mags.

But the third game came unannounced, I had not seen any advertising or any previews for it. I didn't even know it was in development! Just *suddenly* it was on store shelves in May '93.

I instantly grabbed a copy, even if I knew that it was not going to be breaking any ground. As long as it was more of the same as the previous two, I would be happy.

Sadly it isn't. Almost every new addition works against the game. The plot doesn't make sense, the disconnect from the prequels (due to Westwood being bought up by Virgin) leaves the third game feeling like an empty husk. There are no Beholders in the game. The sound gets on people's nerves, the racial level restrictions feel like a kick in the teeth for many players, plenty of Walking Dead-scenarios, etc.

Instead of the series ending on a high note, it ends on a fart.
On the plus side… you could always port it and EOB2 to tabletop Myth Drannor. I know I know EOB 2 takes place outside of Waterdeep but w/e. Forest, church… it could be anywhere.

Throg Jr.

Barely Literate
Ok, I finished playing EOB I today finally :D

The ending on the amiga version is ok, nothing special as I was hoping for a bit more. I won't mention what it is for those still playing.

Very cool game, I had alot of fun playing it.

Now Im off to play EOB II which many say is the best of the 3 games.

Does anyone know how to transfer characters from EOB I into EOBII on the amiga version? When I try it the game says it can't find the save game disk and please insert the EOB.SAV file or copy it into the EOBII directory.

The amiga versions dont have an EOB.SAV file so not sure what to do here. I tried copyingy the EOBI files into the EOBII directory but that didnt work either.games
Hello Saxon1974,

Regarding the Eye of the Beholder games, I know it's been a long time since you posted on this topic but I was hoping for some help. How did you manage to transfer your game 1 characters into game 2? After I pasted the EOBDATA.SAV file into game 2, only one of my characters was available to import. Nothing I tried fixed the problem. I played game 1 using an Amiga free download just for nostalgia. After that I purchased the three game set from GOG and downloaded them to play on my laptop (vs. online).

Thanks for your time.
Robert

Desu

Literate
1 was a breeze (wayy easier than LoL or Grimrock) and 2 is kicking my ass so far. I wonder if I'm being punished for importing my party from EOB1. I swear I fought like 50 mage guys to get to Amber and I couldn't even rest because I needed stupid Insel to lockpick into her cell. Feels like there's so many more enemies in this game compared to the first one.

Desiderius

Patron
I feel like I did 2 without the Clue Book and felt a real sense of accomplishment then got the Clue Book and it was like "Ah, that's how you're supposed to do that!"

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really love the first game, but with the second one I got that "more of the same" feeling and it didn't leave that much of an impression on me. Especially disliked the end-game with the silly dragon fight.

I really enjoyed the multi-level exploration in 1 when things "opened up" after discovering the portals, plus the "modern sci-fi" setting in the second game didn't do much for me.

EoB I — 5/5
EoB II – 3.5/5

Eisen

Learned
I really love the first game, but with the second one I got that "more of the same" feeling and it didn't leave that much of an impression on me. Especially disliked the end-game with the silly dragon fight.

I really enjoyed the multi-level exploration in 1 when things "opened up" after discovering the portals, plus the "modern sci-fi" setting in the second game didn't do much for me.

EoB I — 5/5
EoB II – 3.5/5
What do you mean with "Modern Sci-fi" ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom