Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

praetor

Arcane
4C1990D4340617D102C83C0EAD78C98264494CCC

lol. definitely never buying this piece of shit

Murk

Arcane
btw apparently the guys on the side bow to you to let you duel the one dragon spirit that spawns in at the top

not sure if they gank you after or not

Yeah you are supposed to have a honoru duerr with a dragon fig dual wielding two dragon greatswords. Apparently they gank you if you just try to yolo through.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Just picked up a Sparrow version of Sotfs on PC and it really moves smooth in comparison with vanilla ps3 Dark souls II. Not sure if i will continue playing it, i really miss online options on the game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
What? There is no online on PC ?

edit: oh wait, sparrow version, nevermind.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Is it true that weapons break twice as fast with 60 fps? Is it a bug or a feature?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Is it true that weapons break twice as fast with 60 fps? Is it a bug or a feature?

Not sure, but i can't imagine a relationship between weapon deterioration and the framerate.

That remembers me Ocarina of time 3D where the night/day cycle in the central field passes faster because the 30 FPS framerate...

-----------------------------------------------

It's 7:36PM. Arrived home from work about 0600 hours ago and fed the dog, kissed the kids on the head, slapped my wifes buttox, and hopped on my video gaming computer. Suddenly everything goes dark, my vision starts to blur, tunnel vision, darkness, life, love, liberty. I'm holding an Xbox 360 controller in my sweaty palms, my knees start to get weak, until I realize I don't have knees. My shin is connected to my thigh by spaghetti. My kneecaps are spaghetti. I'm weak still, but I push forward into the void. It seems Scholar of the First Sin has been automatically purchased for me be an unknown deity. I'm very scared. Who did this without my permission? Was it the same deity who transfered me to this realm? I miss my wife, I miss my kids, and I miss my dog. The title screen starts, *flash* DARK SOULS 2 SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN *flash*, my heart is beating. I'm wearing a suit of armor and wielding a giant sword in real life...or at least, what I think is real life. All the sudden I feel a sharp pain in my liver, just as I expected, marinara is pouring out of the open wound. I stuff some spaghetti in the wound to stop the bleeding, I learned this at lifeguard camp. It hurts. I liked having hurt, so send the pain below, where I need it. (much like suffocating x3) Game just finished downloading, got it for $20 because I own DS2 + DLC, can't complain, do the same, see you in game pal!

Source: Steam funny reviews

Last edited:

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar

It was an oversight/shit design that they refused to fix. It makes some weapons practically unusable in PVE.

Not sure, but i can't imagine a relationship between weapon deterioration and the framerate.

It uses the framerate to count how long a weapon is inside an enemy. I guess it's more performant than calculating time. Why they are counting time inside an enemy rather than use a per swing degredation though is beyond me.

Dear god, that review... why is it that gaming gets shit like that? You don't get it on book or film reviews, so why us?

Dark Souls isn't even challenging to me anymore and I still find Dark Souls II hard as fuck. I don't get how people manage to find it easier than first game.

What kind of set ups have you used? I've found DS2 to be a weird reversal of DS in that armour and shields were easy mode in DS, but they are hard mode in DS2. It may seem counter intuitive but staying light and mobile makes the game much easier.

I disagree, rapier is an amazing PVE weapon even with crap dex scaling because of the ridiculous counter damage...

Even with many enemies, rapier is great for tight areas so you can stab multiple enemies...

Yeah, counter damage is a big factor in what makes a good dex weapon imo. Even the Key to the Embedded is a good dex weapon because of it's crazy counter damage. In NG anyway, never tried it any higher.

If anyones having trouble with rapiers, try timing your attacks to strike at the beginning of a mook's attack rather than waiting for them to finish. Early game, anything without high hp or armour will die instantly. A good place to try is this No Mans Wharf. Cheese dragonrider with a swordsman, put 2 points into dex, buy 2 rapiers and watch the Varangians run to their death.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I found DSII to be more difficult in many ways, mostly due to the controls being screwed compared to the other games and bad hitboxes. Yeah, the other games have hit detection issues as well, but DSII is by far the worst offender.

And they still haven't fixed the durability bug? For fuck's sake.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tried the Dx11 version. It looks prettier. The lightning especially, the textures look kinda like the ones from DS1 ones you used Durantes fix to increase the resolution.

The performance is way worse though, my computer can't really handle it. And it doesn't look pretty enough to justifiy it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
wait but ps4 and xbone ds2 runs also at 60 fps, does it mean on consoles it also breaks faster?

Yeah I was just about to post the same.. If 60 fps bugs remain then next gen console players are fucked cause I doubt they'll get the means to limit it to 30 fps. Though these geniuses could've at least provided an optional in game frame limiter if they can't be arsed to fix it.

Murk

Arcane
It's... really not that big of a deal. I've been playing at 60 fps and while you may use 2 weapons to clear a full area instead of just 1, it works out well enough.

Lemme put it this way, it never bothered _me_ and I imagine most people won't really care unless they are not at all paying attention.

From's technical game is pretty weak, it's one of those things you just come to expect and learn to deal with -- like their inability to make NPCs walk from points A to B without you resting at a bonfire in the mean time.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yeah I was just about to post the same.. If 60 fps bugs remain then next gen console players are fucked cause I doubt they'll get the means to limit it to 30 fps. Though these geniuses could've at least provided an optional in game frame limiter if they can't be arsed to fix it.

Well then it makes me think it's not a bug but a feature.

toroid

Arcane
The durability glitch is a side-effect of how the game engine works, but that doesn't mean it was intended. It's similar to running DS1 at 60fps; the gravity, animations, terrain collision detection, and even loading times are affected. It reminds me of how the game engines of 30 year old console games work, the framerate acts as a constant clock to regulate the function of other mechanisms. Neither DS1 nor DS2 are fully capable of running at 60 fps without major glitches cropping up. Serious development and/or management issues these guys have.

Also, fuck this remake. DS2 was already a tedious slog through a repetitive gauntlet of boredom. Take a few steps, aggro a mob or two away from the horde, fight, then repeat. This is the whole game. The monster layout and level design are far from interesting, and as long as you're cautious and aware and patient then you're likely to have an uneventful experience. Looks like the same problem continues to persist in SotFS, except multiplied. Besides, when I figured out that Twinkling titanite was a finite resource I bailed out - that pushed me past the tipping point. DS2 is like a collection of shitty design decisions, and the epitome of artificial difficulty, imo.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Tried the Dx11 version. It looks prettier. The lightning especially, the textures look kinda like the ones from DS1 ones you used Durantes fix to increase the resolution.

The performance is way worse though, my computer can't really handle it. And it doesn't look pretty enough to justifiy it.
Try turning SSAO and Depth of Field off. They usually hog a lot of resources and offer little in ways of better picture. Depth of field especially, just makes things that aren't that far away blurry as hell. Maybe shadows too.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So it seems soul memory is still in the game, as well. I heard it was going to be removed. Has there been any change to how soul memory works or is it the same as vanilla Dark Souls II?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Playing scholar on PC and i'm enjoying the slower combat much more than Bloodborne,i only finished half of the game back in the day on ps3 so dis gonna be gud. Overall Dark Souls is more fun than Bloodborne, combat has much more variety than spam r1 and dodge.

I hope from makes Dark Souls 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom