Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex's official opinion on Mass Effect series?

Do you like Mass Effect series?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • It's good for what it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven't played it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the Codex lost for good or is there any hope for it? Do you like ME series?

MassEffect2_2010-01-26_21-02-17-21.jpg

I vote No myself, since I think this game is a perfect example of decline in modern RPGs. Silly dialogues, boring story and annoying characters are the main part of it.

Relay

Educated
I just can't bring myself to like a game where the main villain is an entity that went full retard "Ahahaha we destroy the universe because! you can't understand why! we just do!".

ironyuri

I like Mass Effect 1 and 2. Before you crucify me, I will explain:

I do not like first person shooters. I find them to be an annoying waste of time with no story and no mechanics deeper than "collect all 9 guns", "point", "shoot", "rinse and repeat." (I haven't really played a shooter since Duke Nukem 3D, so maybe I'm behind the times?)

I enjoy playing Mass Effect when I don't want to spend time getting into a deep cRPG that requires me to take my character skill > player skill and real roleplaying considerations seriously. I also enjoy Mass Effect as one of the better written Sci-FI action games. The story is deeper than Quake or Doom, for example; it's like playing an episode of Battlestar Galactica or a next-gen Star Wars, without all the ridiculous canon that Lucas has added in the last few years weighing it down.

ME and ME2 are good for what they are; ME2 less so because it ditched so many mechanics and story telling elements.

They are better than DA:O because they never claimed to be old-school rpgs with deep mechanics and a brilliant game world.

It's just unadulterated action gameplay that you can take in bite-size chunks or all at once and enjoy it. They have entertainment value.

When I play a serious RPG it's like when I'm reading a serious piece of literature; I enjoy it but I also want it to challenge me. When I want to kick back, ME is there.

Multi-headed Cow

I like Mass Effect. Got complaints, don't feel like listing them, but overall I still like the games well enough to vote yes.

fastjack

Augur
re

really dislike them, especially 2 which was a waste of however few hours i put into it before i dropped it. a spae rpg with no space combat, wtf? even kotor had the little turret game.

i see no redeeming qualities at all in those games but a lot that makes me nerd rage, so NO.

circ

Arcane
Shitty McShitnuggets.

Good things about 1. Music. Fem Shep.
Bad things about 1. Story, characters, everything else.

Good things about 2. Music. Some characters are more realistic. MIRANDA'S ASS.
Bad things about 2. Everything else.

Ancient

Erudite
The thing i love in ME series that out-weights all con's is how epic it makes you feel , epic 'nuff to send shivers down the spine.There is not much games that can do that :salute:

Black Cat

Magister
Ancient said:
The thing i love in ME series that out-weights all con's is how epic it makes you feel

Mass Effect has the honor of being the only game that got every single element, or almost, of old space adventures like Hard Nova, Protostar, or Sentinel Worlds and managed to do it completely wrong. Epic's the word for it, indeed, followed by fail.

TsongaKralj

Novice
Hell no,tried both of them but got bored after about 1 hour,never could really stomach cover shooting system,especially the way it's implemented in most games.

relootz

Scholar
ME series are not RPG's, they are third person shooters with some minor RPG influences.

Stop fucking making threads about them in the wrong fucking forum.

Squirly

Educated
I enjoyed the second one more than the first, but I haven't finished either one. As long as you're not expecting a deep RPG you can have a bit of fun. At least until you get annoyed at their failings.

This is why ME2 was better, it got rid of the RPG elements the first one had (that were the worst things about RPGs) like a retarded inventory and run-and-fetch quests. Sure, you still had the fed-ex quests but it felt like they were worse in ME 1.

Also, that butt makes up for a lot of wrongs.

empi

Augur
Below average third person shooter.
Poor RPG.
Waste of time.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
relootz said:
ME series are not RPG's, they are third person shooters with some minor RPG influences.

Stop fucking making threads about them in the wrong fucking forum.

THEN VOTE GOOD FOR WHAT IT WAS! YOU SOAKER!

Cenobyte

Prophet
I voted "good for what it is".

It's definitely not "good" since it lacks any substantial gameplay quality or replay value. I really cannot image myself playing through it more than once. It has also huge deficies in varied gameplay, it's basically always just shooting (rather poorly implemented and railroaded) or talking.

Nonetheless, as a stupid, linear shooter with some dialogues it's somewhat interesting for one playthrough and therefore "good for what it is".

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mass Effect 1 is a very boring third person shooter with minor rpg elements.
Mass Effect 2 is a good cover based third person shooter with minor rpg elements that pretty much takes any opportunity to tell you how much the first game sucked. You absolutely do not have to play ME1 to play ME2. If you want to import a character that bad, just download one from the internet and mod the savefile.

The backstory is really bad, but since it's Bioware that shouldn't come as a surprise. That's another reason why the second game kicks the first one's ass, since the backstory is just backstory and not the actual story. (ME2's story being Shepard collecting a bunch of hardened commandos with psychological problems to take out the Reaper's new soldiers that came outta nowhere to abduct humans for...nevermind.)

The writing for the second game is a lot better, but they still can't figure out how to write good lines for the PC.

I nearly died, Codex. Cerberus spent two weeks bringing me back.

No, seriously.

Deleted member 7219

The best thing Bioware have done so far. Let's hope the Xbox 360 morons don't have their way and make Bioware put a multiplayer mode in Mass Effect 3.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
1st one: shit. Boring, poor TPS and poor RPG

2nd one: one of my favourite games this year. not much of a rpg, but very entertaining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom