Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The best DRM system in the world starts to un-rent games

baronjohn

Cipher
So, I started Steam today only to find out that my freshly bought (during the Sale recently) version of GTA San Andreas was missing from my games-list.
Checking the Steam-forums, I found out I'm not the only one (here and here are two examples).
This seems to only be an issue for German Steam-users at the moment, and certainly has something to do with the game (or certain versions of it) not being allowed here for some strange reasons (although it already was the censored version). I'm perfectly fine with the fact that some games are just not available via Steam, there are other means of getting those games.
What I find a bit alarming however is the fact that they just can delete games from your account without any warning or message. This reminds me of the Amazon fuckup when they started to delete certain ebooks (about a year ago I think) from customer's readers. Or recently when EA shut down some of their servers.

So, is Valve finally showing us all that they've stopped being the good guys? First they start deleting games from German customers, next they delete a game from an account because the publisher or someone else decides they don't want people playing anymore?

So far there seems to be no explanation (except a standard text-snippet from support that this 'issue' is being looked into)...but I'll certainly think twice about what games I buy (and forever link with) Steam in the future (sadface).
http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/topic.php?id=4463

I hear their competition the bay of pirates won't even delete your games

MetalCraze

Arcane
The best part will come when some years later when Steam will already be a hard to crack hardware based DRM it will close its doors.

And all the morons who gave them money suddenly will learn that they will never play those games anymore. Will never see that good looking hat and badass diamond-studded monocle they bought for their Team Fortress 3 character for $25 a piece.

And they will do nothing because there are zero laws in any countries to control the digital distribution.

In fact you just buy a time-limited license to play the game :smug:

User was nabbed fit

Why does baronjohn always lie? Oh right, to troll everyone. :smug:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1848796

Game's back in my game tab. :)

I'm owning a German version of GTA:SA and it is still here and playable. :D

Got my game back as well now...lol

Mine is also back and it loaded a small update.

It was... gasp... an update.

skyway said:
And they will do nothing because there are zero laws in any countries to control the digital distribution.

That's not true. Plus, a class action lawsuit would be very easily won, if STEAM didn't uphold its claim to unlock all purchased games in the unlikely event it goes under.

Face it, STEAM's here for the long run. Haters gonna hate! :dance:

ChristofferC

Magister
MetalCraze said:
The best part will come when some years later when Steam will already be a hard to crack hardware based DRM it will close its doors.

And all the morons who gave them money suddenly will learn that they will never play those games anymore. Will never see that good looking hat and badass diamond-studded monocle they bought for their Team Fortress 3 character for $25 a piece.

In fact you just buy a time-limited license to play the game :smug:
B-but Valve said they will release cracks for all the games if Steam ever closes its doors. That sounds totally plausible to me.

Lunac

Arcane
Fuck steam up it's ass!

Face it, STEAM's here for the long run. Haters gonna hate!

What, did your Xbawx RROD again? Go play some counter strike or replay ep2 for the 30th time while ejaculating every time Alyx Vance makes an appearance.

Fucking cunt valve fanbois are the motherfucking plague.

User was nabbed fit

Lunac said:
Herp derp I'mma act like a manboon and throw around some swearwords at a big company in an attempt to look cool and fit in.

Fucking newfags.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ViolentOpposition said:
That's not true. Plus, a class action lawsuit would be very easily won, if STEAM didn't uphold its claim to unlock all purchased games in the unlikely event it goes under.

Steam bans accounts that can easily have 10 games on a mere suspicion that a user had 11th game pirated. And comes totally clean out of it.

5 years later

"Nooooo my gaemmes steam is shiiiit"

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Lunac said:
Fuck steam up it's ass!

What, did your Xbawx RROD again? Go play some counter strike or replay ep2 for the 30th time while ejaculating every time Alyx Vance makes an appearance.

You are a cartoon.

User was nabbed fit

MetalCraze said:
ViolentOpposition said:

Steam bans accounts that can easily have 10 games on a mere suspicion that a user had 11th game pirated. And comes totally clean out of it.

Why do you lie? They do nothing out of "mere suspicion." Anyone who pirates games on a main account deserves to lose all of them.

MetalCraze said:

5 years later

"Nooooo my gaemmes steam is shiiiit"

5 years later...

skyway: STEAM IS SHIIIT! :poop: Vopp: just picked up a couple more games for a few bucks to add to my ever increasing list. :smug:

racofer

Thread Incliner
14lncz6.jpg

ju7j4h.jpg

:salute: :honorblade:

LordDenton

Augur
You would have to be retarded to lock your collection on Steam.

It's also funny that these same retards think that Valve, after going bankrupt, will work on patching Steam out of their hundreds of games. :lol:

User was nabbed fit

LordDenton said:
It's also funny that these same retards think that Valve, after going bankrupt, will work on patching Steam out of their hundreds of games. :lol:

I dunno, I mean... I think you'd be even more retarded to think that STEAM would have to patch every single game. Or completely ignorant of how their 'protection' works.
Hint: you can already play your games offline; do you think they magically apply some kind of "crack" every time you do that? :retarded:

They would simply release a final STEAM client which wouldn't look for the main server/authentication anymore. A final 'offline mode.'

Topher

Cipher
ViolentOpposition said:
LordDenton said:

I dunno, I mean... I think you'd be even more retarded to think that STEAM would have to patch every single game. Or completely ignorant of how their 'protection' works.
Hint: you can already play your games offline; do you think they magically apply some kind of "crack" every time you do that? :retarded:

They would simply release a final STEAM client which wouldn't look for the main server/authentication anymore. A final 'offline mode.'

Who's going to host that client for download 5 years later? What happens when you buy a older copy of a game that used steam after steam is gone like DoW2? Offline mode can't generate you a CD key any longer.

An update? Never heard of an update that does that. Glad you have a choice too....

These companies are just testing the waters. Checking the reactions.

People say "Oh, but there would be a class action lawsuit!!!"

Rubbish.

Unless every game account was affected, there wouldn't be. And if the company went insolvent...what will a lawsuit get? 1 cent in the dollar? :lol:

Not to mention how things slip over time. I remember 15 years ago or so, when people carried on about software companies daring to stop users from making their rightful 'backup' copy (which used to be part of the license). Heh...look how far the plebs have allowed things to go today.

What will be next? Compulsory anal probe (USB compatible for ease of use) to make sure the proper user is activating the game?

The next level will always be reached. Slowly, but surely. Why? because morons accept it. EA is merely leading the herd.

Heechee

Liturgist
Steam apologists make me lose my faith in humanity. It's the same sort of people that promote cloud computing, buy iShit and cause the general decline. Almost as if they enjoyed being controlled, fucking sheep.

thx-1138.jpg

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Lunac said:
Fuck steam up it's ass!

lol jesus, what an idiot

edit-
Steam apologists make me lose my faith in humanity. It's the same sort of people that promote cloud computing, buy iShit and cause the general decline. Almost as if they enjoyed being controlled, fucking sheep.
this one doesn't even make sense, are all the new posters this bad?

LordDenton

Augur
kingcomrade said:
this one doesn't even make sense, are all the new posters this bad?
If you had the mental capacity to comprehend it, you wouldn't be a sheep, now would you? ;)

The matter of fact is that Valve maintains full enforceable control over your software. This is much worse than a licensed copy on a regular disc (with no online DRM). Basically your purchase is a rental, and if Valve, for any reason, thinks you have violated any part of the 20000+ word license, they will take ALL your games away. And to give you an example, a breach of terms also includes sharing your Steam password with your brother/sister.

Zeus

Cipher
I liked "cloud computing" better the first time I heard it, back when it was called "dummy terminals." :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom