Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale Series

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Finished Destiny Knight. 8 Hours. Awful game.

At no point in the game did anything even mildly threaten me. It was only the last couple of dungeons where Mangar's Mallet did not one shot the entire enemy team, and only the last dungeon where my fighters started missing things. The final battle was full of HP sponges but once again I had my rogue sneak up and stab the end boss in the dick, dealing 5 damage + instakill. Lol

I think I'm going to quit now and play an actual good blobber before I get burnt out on the subgenre again. Time for Dragon Wars.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Still funny a BT3 mechanic used in 1-2. It is pecular to say the least. Thus, it is fortunate to play the originals though there is legacy mode.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
If they didn't want you to import a full power party then they shouldn't have let you.

Keeping a game challenging across a large scale of levels is a tricky problem in RPGs, but many have made better attempts at solving it than this series. Every fight is either effortless or impossible. Way too binary. Even if I started back at level 1 I'd just go level grind until I had uber spells and untouchable AC again. What difference does it make?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, for some games you just have to impose some house rules to make them challenging.
For BT2 it means starting with a new party (for BT3 I would recommend the opposite), and once you have cleared the starter dungeon run from every random fight, since otherwise you get too OP.
BT1 and 2 definitely have som balancing problems.
I actually restarted BT2 when I realized the imported party was way OP.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Devs screwed up. I'm a chronic encounter grinder so it is against my nature to flee. I gotta kill em all.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
In modern games no-flee is usually fine but in older games I've found fighting every battle is a waste of time. According to the in-game stats I fled from nearly 50% of the fights, so just imagine how much more over leveled I'd be.

I don't think there is a way to make this game "hard" in a combat sense, it's all mathematics. Either your numbers win or they don't.

There's no such thing as a fair fight. The town of Falujah took six days to clear. In the first day the marines were walking up to each house, knocking on the door, saying Hi We're the Americans, we are here to kill you. They lost quite a number of men. By the last day they cleared every house by launching a TOW missile through the window, then walking in and finishing anyone left. "That's no fun, so overpowered! Gotta give the bad guys a chance to ambush you!" Nonsense.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Finished Destiny Knight. 8 Hours. Awful game.
Playing an honest game of BT2, they countered the overpowered nature of the party with the timed "Death Snares" or whatever. Those can add challenge since they force you to solve the puzzle or die, in a fixed amount of time.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Sure, but the death snares were all dumb. None of them relate to the RPG systems in any way, or otherwise challenge a built up party. They're a meta-challenge tossed into an otherwise broken game. The manual even has the solution for the hardest one, so whatever.

It's like if after the superbowl, both teams have to sit down and solve a crossword puzzle. Whichever team gets more clues correct wins, regardless of the football score. Nevermind skill, athletics, or coaching. So gay.

If the only way you can think to challenge the player in your RPG is to just flat insta-kill them for not getting enough trial-and-error questions right, that's bad design.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Sure, but the death snares were all dumb. None of them relate to the RPG systems in any way, or otherwise challenge a built up party. They're a meta-challenge tossed into an otherwise broken game. The manual even has the solution for the hardest one, so whatever.

It's like if after the superbowl, both teams have to sit down and solve a crossword puzzle. Whichever team gets more clues correct wins, regardless of the football score. Nevermind skill, athletics, or coaching. So gay.

If the only way you can think to challenge the player in your RPG is to just flat insta-kill them for not getting enough trial-and-error questions right, that's bad design.
How many times have you played BT2?

baba is you

Novice
In modern games no-flee is usually fine but in older games I've found fighting every battle is a waste of time. According to the in-game stats I fled from nearly 50% of the fights, so just imagine how much more over leveled I'd be.

I don't think there is a way to make this game "hard" in a combat sense, it's all mathematics. Either your numbers win or they don't.
Bard's Tale 2 certainly has its share of combat balance issues. CRPGAddict, a personal favorite of mine, is on record as having stopped playing Bard's Tale 2 because of it.
However, I don't think the dungeon design or puzzle design in Bard's Tale 2 is bad, and I personally liked Bard's Tale because I thought the dungeon design and puzzle design were more clever than Wizardry 1-3.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I started encountering some Blue Dragons. When I first played BT1 on my Amiga back in the days, these guys really made a barbecue of my party, even though my party then must have been higher level. Now they still manage to do some damage, but nothing serious. Maybe having a Paladin in the front slot makes all the difference, due to their superior saving throws? I don't remember if I even had a Paladin in my Amiga party, though.

This sucker still hurts (especially in the wallet):
RNvGI9a.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hmm...seems like all the Horns of Fire has only one charge in Apple BT1...

I remember the Witch King vividly from the Amiga version:
mMqBmL8.gif

The Apple version did not have the same fun loving twinkle in the eye look.
2d7fCyL.jpg

Mauman

Learned
So I started encountering some Blue Dragons. When I first played BT1 on my Amiga back in the days, these guys really made a barbecue of my party, even though my party then must have been higher level. Now they still manage to do some damage, but nothing serious. Maybe having a Paladin in the front slot makes all the difference, due to their superior saving throws? I don't remember if I even had a Paladin in my Amiga party, though.
Indeed, in the old versions (and I THINK the new version, don't quote me on that one though), having a paladin in the front provided the Paladin's save bonus to all "group" spells.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
p. sure it's a random chance to vanish after every use. Bad luck chuck.

save bonus to all "group" spells.

Something that bugs me about games like this; if my team has a front and a back that can't attack, then they should be in different "groups" for targeting purposes. More modern wiz-likes separate front and back lines for spells better.

Mauman

Learned
p. sure it's a random chance to vanish after every use. Bad luck chuck.

save bonus to all "group" spells.

Something that bugs me about games like this; if my team has a front and a back that can't attack, then they should be in different "groups" for targeting purposes. More modern wiz-likes separate front and back lines for spells better.
Well, think of it this way. Sure, your big armored manly men might be able to shield your little boys in dresses in the back from stabby stabbys, but a dragon's breath doesn't give a shit about things like "cover" and "distance"*.

*distance as in, if the wizards in back are in range to throw spells at the dragon, pretty sure that the breath could reach them too.

Besides, mages in this game have higher base saves than non-paladin fighters anyways.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I like how a Golem can Disbelieve a Wind Dragon, after being consumed in dragon fire. It's like some kind of Schrödinger's Dragon.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Its still dumb when the enemy can have four different "groups" all in melee range yet be considered separate targets. How do 396 berserkers stack up to fight 7 people within 10'? Like with DVDA; where would everyone stand?

By comparison, you have MM2's rather innovative engagement system, where more or less characters could be involved in melee due to terrain or surprise status. In some battles your mage is safely behind the line, in others everyone is in the thick of it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Its still dumb when the enemy can have four different "groups" all in melee range yet be considered separate targets. How do 396 berserkers stack up to fight 7 people within 10'? Like with DVDA; where would everyone stand?

'sup, CRPG Addict?

By comparison, you have MM2's rather innovative engagement system, where more or less characters could be involved in melee due to terrain or surprise status. In some battles your mage is safely behind the line, in others everyone is in the thick of it.

I can agree with that. MM2 is the most tactical one of the classic, pure blobbers.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't know if it's due to version difference or because my party is lower level, but the Wind Dragon is not as OP when enemies can see through the illusion, which I think never happened when I played the DOS version some 10-12 years ago. So the Demon is a good substitute.

But overall the combat is still not very challenging in the mid game when running away from all random battles, but only fight the fixed (with random enemy (de)composition) battles once and meticulously mapping each level. My guys have so low AC, even without shield spells or bard songs, that only Dragon breath is any threat.

The mapping is more challenging, now that I'm in Harkyn's Castle. It's almost like a jigsaw puzzle working out where all the traps and special squares are, using the Second Sight spell. But of course, the real fun starts when the party's working environment is anti-magic and Darkness zones full of spinners.

baba is you

Novice
Harkin's Castle offers a good mapping challenge, but personally, I think the Manga Tower offers the best mapping challenge.
Michael Cranford was an avid Wizardry gamer, so there's a bit of homage in the boss fight. :M

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You gonna post your paper maps?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom