Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
Almost half a milion in just few hours not even 12h....

Fargo would make water out of solid stone...

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Wonder how fast it's going to be growing after first 24h freebies / 15k early birds.

Perkel

Arcane

Wonder how fast it's going to be growing after first 24h freebies / 15k early birds.

Honestly i didn't even consider they would get beyond their goal.
Imo i think they won't beat TN kickstarter even if their first hours indicate beating it tenfold.

Even their TN kickstarter had to take something around 20 hours to get 1mln. This has half a milion in much shorter time.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bigger LOL at the retards who think drawing maps on graph paper is fun and is half the game.

Ever tried it yourself? Cause I did recently for the first time just to see what its like.

And its actually fun.

Explain it what is fun in it? Seriously, what is fun about drawing lines on a graph paper, one line after one press on the cursor keys?

Well, I guess it is hard to explain what makes it fun unless you tried it yourself. I was just as sceptical as you until I tried it. It is probably the same with having your own journal as opposed to letting the game fill out an automatic journal. It just makes it a more personal experience, I guess? You gradually see your own progress, take notes on the map where you found clues, when you get stuck you take a look to see where there are still blanks and so on. It feels more like your own adventure. Essentially the game draws you in much more cause you are LARPing part of the exploration. You also have to consider that some of these games were designed with mapping in mind, so that the dungeon layout itself can become a puzzle. Playing with an automap is more akin to playing with a walkthrough in that sense. If you draw you own map you actually have to be observant of your surroundings and so on.

You also shouldn't think of it as an means to an end, in the sense that drawing the map yourself is tedious but once you did it the result is cool. The process of drawing itself is part of the fun, so you don't actually consider it tedium in that moment, it is just an integral part of the experience. (That is, until you enter the Mines in Wiz6 and they just drive you fucking nuts with all those fucking stairs and you give up after three attempts cause you are not fucking crazy or have the patience of a fucking zen-master.)

That is by the way not to say that it is not additional effort. Sure, I don't always feel like sitting with writing paper next to the computer and drawing every other step. An automap is more convenient and I am glad they will include one (I am also pretty sure you will have the option to turn it off.) It costs more time and effort, that much is for sure.

I am just saying that putting that extra effort in can be rewarding in itself. It is definitely a different experience.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
You want it, we'll build it
Well, since you put it like that, Mr. Fargo - backed.

Even I, premiumboxlover69, must be getting jaded by now, as I didn't even feel the urge for a signed collectors' edition this time. Never mind - I have two years to berate myself for not throwing my life savings at it, just as I had two years after backing Dead State to do the same for the opposite reason.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Imo i think they won't beat TN kickstarter even if their first hours indicate beating it tenfold.

Even their TN kickstarter had to take something around 20 hours to get 1mln. This has half a milion in much shorter time.

The Torment Kickstarter made its goal in like 6 hours. This will probably not pass the Torment Kickstarter. It might pass the Wasteland 2 one, though.

Peter_the_Bard

Educated
It is a bit worrying they have not discussed the character system in their pitch, and I don't mean in the video even but the underlying text. While this could mean they are still considering the sort of system to use, I am worried they might go with the simplicity route and make a system too similar to the original games. A turn based blobber can do much better with a robust character system with many classes and depth in the same classes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This will be backed when they start accepting pay pal pledges. DWARVESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apexeon

Arcane
Backed but I have to say that was a fairly weak pitch. Surely we're past the "evil" publisher trump card by now?

Working for him, plus looks like they spent a few hours making the 1 in game screenshot.

Showing next to no content as well.
Wonderful.

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane

Alex

Arcane
Bigger LOL at the retards who think drawing maps on graph paper is fun and is half the game.

Ever tried it yourself? Cause I did recently for the first time just to see what its like.

And its actually fun.

Explain it what is fun in it? Seriously, what is fun about drawing lines on a graph paper, one line after one press on the cursor keys?

Well, I guess it is hard to explain what makes it fun unless you tried it yourself. I was just as sceptical as you until I tried it. It is probably the same with having your own journal as opposed to letting the game fill out an automatic journal. It just makes it a more personal experience, I guess? You gradually see your own progress, take notes on the map where you found clues, when you get stuck you take a look to see where there are still blanks and so on. It feels more like your own adventure. Essentially the game draws you in much more cause you are LARPing part of the exploration. You also have to consider that some of these games were designed with mapping in mind, so that the dungeon layout itself can become a puzzle. Playing with an automap is more akin to playing with a walkthrough in that sense. If you draw you own map you actually have to be observant of your surroundings and so on.

You also shouldn't think of it as an means to an end, in the sense that drawing the map yourself is tedious but once you did it the result is cool. The process of drawing itself is part of the fun, so you don't actually consider it tedium in that moment, it is just an integral part of the experience. (That is, until you enter the Mines in Wiz6 and they just drive you fucking nuts with all those fucking stairs and you give up after three attempts cause you are not fucking crazy or have the patience of a fucking zen-master.)

That is by the way not to say that it is not additional effort. Sure, I don't always feel like sitting with writing paper next to the computer and drawing every other step. An automap is more convenient and I am glad they will include one (I am also pretty sure you will have the option to turn it off.) It costs more time and effort, that much is for sure.

I am just saying that putting that extra effort in can be rewarding in itself. It is definitely a different experience.

While all this is true, a lot of the fun also comes from the challenge that some games throw at you; Sneaky teleporters, rotating rooms, declining floors that lead you to a lower level without you noticing it. I even heard of a GM who used hidden magnet to throw off the player's compass, though I haven't seen this done in a computer game. Which is why I think having an auto-map is worrying. I mean, it is one thing to disable the auto-map for the old school mode. It is another thing entirely to implement challenges that only make sense if the player is using it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/1250789

Gameplay in engine footage is coming...."next month"? soon. edit: I should learn to read.

Déjà vu!

1081cef92c5fbc5f291a27b703c0f067_original.jpg

Once again you have come through with a smashing first day. We are just 11 hours into the campaign and have already achieved 50% of Kickstarter goal for the Bard's Tale IV. I must also thank my many industry friends who have supported us through their social media campaigns. This list extends to our so called competition like Obsidian, Larian, Harebrained, Cryptozoic, Otherworld, Portalairum, Razer and so many others. The concept of game companies supporting each other in such a grand scale was unheard of many years ago. Our relationships have grown closer with you and the development community, the way it always should have been. Our 24 hour promotion for free copies of Wasteland 2, or The Witcher, or The Witcher 2 continues on until 6am PST tomorrow morning, so make sure to tell your friends before it runs out. With Wasteland 2, we're happy to have people enjoy the fruits of our first Kickstarter campaign as a company as we hope to keep these going for a long time to come.

Upcoming Bard's Tale IV Footage!
We have some great surprises in store for you over the next month, the biggest of which is in engine footage for Bard's Tale IV. We're feverishly working to clean up a few more things, but it will be ready in the very near future. It's over 3 minutes long and should give you a good sense of what the world will feel like. I hope you are as impressed with it as I am, so look for it this week.

Tiers and Add-Ons
Our team is reading all of your comments and direct messages. Please keep them coming! We've seen a large demand for a tier that contains the Premier Collector's Edition as well as the Album style box, along with a few other goodies. For this reason, we added the $230 Tier, where you get both boxes as well as Alpha Access and all kinds of digital goodies. As well, we introduced our first Add-On, an extra digital copy of The Bard's Tale 4. This can be added on to any pledge of $20 or more. The details of which are on the bottom of the Kickstarter page.

Much More to Come!
This is just the beginning. Along with the video, we've got some great concept images and a few other surprises along the way that should please fans, both seasoned and new. We're so glad to have you along for the ride...

The Bard is back!

Brian Fargo

Leader inXile

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Early Bird Collectible here.. and in case inXile reserves their right to not learn from WL2, there's always the $27 digital tier.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gameplay in engine footage is coming...."next month"?

Er, he says a lot of things are coming "over the next month", i.e. there will be a lot of updates before the fundraising period ends. Then he says "look for it this week" regarding the engine footage. This is all stuff you quoted. :P

Zeriel

Arcane

I think the gameplay video they're promising this week could end up being a big boost if the media covers it. Probably what they're planning for, to keep this thing rolling.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fucking IGN, these guys really do hate Kickstarters, don't they?
Morons post hundreds of news on a daily basis - but when it comes to KS campaigns (and accompanying reviews) they are always among the last.

:lol:

Apexeon

Arcane
Morons post hundreds of news on a daily basis - but when it comes to KS campaigns (and accompanying reviews) they are always among the last.

The Media are the king makers.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

And its actually fun.

I can totally accept that. My scepticism comes from the different mindset I have regarding games. I'm not LARPing, I'm never that immersed (lol, I hate this word) that writing journals and maps adds anything to the gameplay. I'm just sitting at a PC, playing games. The way I see it, drawing a map on a graph paper and using automap results in the same things: you will have your map, with the important places noted on it.

This is what automappin is: Imagine yourself sitting in front of your computer, playing the game. Your left hand on the WASD (or cursor) keys, your right hand is on the mouse. You explore the dungeon. You press the forward key key. You let go the mouse with your right hand, and draw a small line on your graph paper. You grab the mouse again. Then you press the forward key again to go forward another step (or five steps, whatever). You grap the pen again, and drow a line on your graph paper. And you do this again, and again and again. As you said, the end result is really cool, but if the automap is designed well, it will produce the exact same map, which you have drawn. All you get from doing it by hand is that you have to draw a line every time you press a button. It doesn't require any skill, any dexterity or thought, it is a mechanical thing. And that doesn't add anything to the game IMO.

That said, I accept if someone finds it more immersive, just don't say that it is one of the most important thing that makes a game, because it doesn't.

Trip

Learned
I can get behind manual mapping if indeed it's a part of the actual gameplay. Thing is, it might easily hijack it, since it's so labor intensive, as well as the puzzles that might employ it. The actual physical manipulation of items to gain benefits in BT IV might be a reasonable compromise.

However, I do support manual notes and journal writing; it makes me own my decisions to go to X or Y and do stuff without feeling like an errand-boy, also it encourages some reading comprehension and forces game writers to try and write more clever dialogue and other in-game text.

ArchAngel

Arcane

They are too busy licking Jake Solomon ass for first info on Xcom 2.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This is what automappin is: Imagine yourself sitting in front of your computer, playing the game. Your left hand on the WASD (or cursor) keys, your right hand is on the mouse. You explore the dungeon. You press the forward key key. You let go the mouse with your right hand, and draw a small line on your graph paper. You grab the mouse again. Then you press the forward key again to go forward another step (or five steps, whatever). You grap the pen again, and drow a line on your graph paper. And you do this again, and again and again. As you said, the end result is really cool, but if the automap is designed well, it will produce the exact same map, which you have drawn. All you get from doing it by hand is that you have to draw a line every time you press a button. It doesn't require any skill, any dexterity or thought, it is a mechanical thing. And that doesn't add anything to the game IMO.
Good point in the sense that you should be able to draw a map in the game itself using tools that should be given to you by the devs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom