Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

uaciaut

Augur
"This is shit, but I'm going to follow it fanatically."

Hokay, boss. Not my place to intervene.

Where the fuck do call KS shit instead of what Fargo's doing with his pitches and how he tries to use KS you fucking lobotomite?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personally, I didn't like pitch all that much. Would have appreciated at least a few mock-ups what combats going to look like etc.

They described a system that's used in pretty much every dungeon crawler out there.
You give your party instructions and then they execute it as their turn order dictates.
The chief difference between it and typical blobber combat is that your party goes first followed by the enemies, rather than both going at the same time with order dictated by agility or a similar stat.

At least that's what I took away from the pitch.

As I said earlier ITT, I believe it's like an X-Com or Civilization-type turn-based system. You give your guys orders, and they execute them immediately, but they're not bound to any turn order, and your entire party gets to act before the enemy group acts (that's the "phase" part - your phase, their phase)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OT:
Whatever happened to Obsidian's other Kickstarter that was supposed to launch last years Spring?

16112046_144x108.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
On combat, I guess modern Shin Megami Tensei games (minus press turn system) are more comparable to it.

Zetor

Arcane
Personally, I didn't like pitch all that much. Would have appreciated at least a few mock-ups what combats going to look like etc.

They described a system that's used in pretty much every dungeon crawler out there.
You give your party instructions and then they execute it as their turn order dictates.
The chief difference between it and typical blobber combat is that your party goes first followed by the enemies, rather than both going at the same time with order dictated by agility or a similar stat.

At least that's what I took away from the pitch.
I posted about this in one of the other threads (this discussion seems to be splintered across 3-4 threads now -- surely this means it's time for a MEGATHREAD!1!!11), but basically the system they described sounds like Alpha Strike: The Blobber... though the post doesn't illuminate much in the way of actual game mechanics. It also doesn't sound particularly interesting compared to current blobbers, but I'll wait for a more detailed description or demo before final judgment. Especially wrt those reactive abilities they seem to mention in the last paragraph of the description.

(maybe Fargo made the Hearthstone parallel because actors can set "reaction abilities" in advance like HS's face-down "secrets", e.g. a fighter enemy going into parry mode instead of attacking and counterattacking everyone who attacks him that turn? hohoho, you activated my trap card, etc)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Backed of course.

But is it just me, or this pitch was filmed with some special camera? It was so weird to look at. I can't put my finger on it, but something felt out of place.

Also, lol at idiots who don't like that Fargo is doing some comedy with the fake publisher kid.

Bigger LOL at the retards who think drawing maps on graph paper is fun and is half the game.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Probably going for the BT+TToN tier. But I'm going to wait until more content is shown (or until there is a Codex Kickstarter).

Keldryn

Arcane
Backed at $20. I'd love to get the cloth map, printed manual, and physical box, but I can't justify spending $95 on it (plus whatever it costs to ship it to Canada).

The Bard's Tale III was one of the first CRPGs that I played back in 1989 (along with Wasteland and Pool of Radiance). There's no way that I wasn't going to at least back this at the $20 level.

I still find the skits with the kid publisher to be pretty amusing. Maybe this is because I used to work at EA.

EDIT: Just passed the $400k mark.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Probably going for the BT+TToN tier. But I'm going to wait until more content is shown (or until there is a Codex Kickstarter).

Oh shit, I didn't even see that. Maybe I should raise my pledge to that tier. My poor finances, I guess I am back to lukewarm water and dry bread..

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I've totally underestimated the pull of Brian Fargo...

Besides... ugh... there are 3 different threads fo Bards Tale 4... should be concentrated on a single one :roll:

Kz3r0

Arcane
It's an odd pitch, seems like it's intended for people who were already predisposed to backing.
There are almost one hundred and thirty five thousand backers between WL2 and T:ToN, surely they overlap but having just fifty thousand to pledge is more than enough to fund the game, so, yes the pitch video was aimed at inXile bacckers more than newcomers.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've totally underestimated the pull of Brian Fargo...

Besides... ugh... there are 3 different threads fo Bards Tale 4... should be concentrated on a single one :roll:
Isn't asking for merging a banable offense?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Bigger LOL at the retards who think drawing maps on graph paper is fun and is half the game.

Ever tried it yourself? Cause I did recently for the first time just to see what its like.

And its actually fun.
Matt prefers more sophisticated entertainment, for example Double Fine's games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Ever tried it yourself? Cause I did recently for the first time just to see what its like.

And its actually fun.
Explain it what is fun in it? Seriously, what is fun about drawing lines on a graph paper, one line after one press on the cursor keys?

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Explain it what is fun in it? Seriously, what is fun about drawing lines on a graph paper, one line after one press on the cursor keys?
I honestly think it's enjoyable in certain situations, e.g. when you're exploring the hostile dungeon. Adds to the feeling of being lost in an unfriendly environment. I do understand that some people will not like it but I do know that some will.

Of course there are situations when it's tedious and pointless, so I guess an ugly compromise is to keep the option to disable mapping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom