Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Atelier series

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
but Dusk are also PS3 era games priced the same as PS4 games

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Atelier Sophie 1 or Atelier Ryza 1 are both painless introductions, Sophie being TB, Ryza being active turn combat, neither has a time limit

I was leaning in the direction of Sophie.

Dusk has the most interesting aesthetics and setting and the least amount of moeblob

I prefer cute to strong. I prefer helpless to independant.
Sophie certainly isn't a bad choice (personally I find her to be the cutest girl in the games I've played myself), I'll quote myself from another thread:

- Sophie 1 - story-wise, it's probably the tightest and Sophie is the cutest Mysterious girl, I'm not so sold on her squad though. I liked that the plot was so unassuming and limited, and even the confrontation in the Library is hardly a save the world scenario, maybe on a similar note Ryza 1 will eventually be, that is - the saving the world that nobody asked for, and nobody will thank for. I definitely do not like that the maps are so small, with only a handful being more dungeon-ish (the upside-down cathedral being probably the most fun to move through, followed by fairy forest). Sophie 1 boasts a very neat board game style overmap to tie these smal locations together, and all the resource management takes place here. TB here is definitely my fav from all Mysterious games - I will use it as the standard to which others should aspire to. Alchemy is, understandably, bit of a shocker after the no-frills Ryza 1 model (not so happy with Ryza 2's slight revamp tho), but even the disposable bombs eventually become a non-factor upon striking a deal with Corneria. I do not like the Ideas system, it's slightly off-balance and slows down gear progression. Tech-wise, Sophie 1 suffers from weird UI scaling? Every menu (and particularly text boxes) look so squished it's uncanny. Very nice visuals, very nice music (Plachta rebuild song lol). I kinda missed the heroic trumpets that Ryza revels in, but got some more euro instruments instead. Overall, Sophie 1 is a cool game.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Sophie certainly isn't a bad choice (personally I find her to be the cutest girl in the games I've played myself), I'll quote myself from another thread:

- Sophie 1 - story-wise, it's probably the tightest and Sophie is the cutest Mysterious girl, I'm not so sold on her squad though. I liked that the plot was so unassuming and limited, and even the confrontation in the Library is hardly a save the world scenario, maybe on a similar note Ryza 1 will eventually be, that is - the saving the world that nobody asked for, and nobody will thank for. I definitely do not like that the maps are so small, with only a handful being more dungeon-ish (the upside-down cathedral being probably the most fun to move through, followed by fairy forest). Sophie 1 boasts a very neat board game style overmap to tie these smal locations together, and all the resource management takes place here. TB here is definitely my fav from all Mysterious games - I will use it as the standard to which others should aspire to. Alchemy is, understandably, bit of a shocker after the no-frills Ryza 1 model (not so happy with Ryza 2's slight revamp tho), but even the disposable bombs eventually become a non-factor upon striking a deal with Corneria. I do not like the Ideas system, it's slightly off-balance and slows down gear progression. Tech-wise, Sophie 1 suffers from weird UI scaling? Every menu (and particularly text boxes) look so squished it's uncanny. Very nice visuals, very nice music (Plachta rebuild song lol). I kinda missed the heroic trumpets that Ryza revels in, but got some more euro instruments instead. Overall, Sophie 1 is a cool game.

Nice. I'll start with Sophie. Seems fun.

Edit - Forgot to say thanks. Thanks!

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
you can eventually play the perfection that is Atelier Ayesha
that's what i did when internet died in january. had only ayesha, cold steel 1 and battle brothers, because my hdd for downloaded shit died too from all those blackouts and i've managed to save only 3 gaems and huge pile of books from it.
damn, i don't remember anything. no old saves left so barely managed to save nio and did bell and regina stories before 3 years ended. prepared good equip at least for ng+. if i went with linca instead of regina probably could finish more.

dusk still best trilogy. love its melancholy feeling.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
And if you end up enjoying the series you can eventually play the perfection that is Atelier Ayesha:desu:
I tried playing a few of these games and usually stopped after 15 minutes of way too much weeaboo.
So I cautiously started ayesha. While still being somewhat ridiculous, the weeb factor is somewhat muted (yet) and the game feels - for a lack of a better word - naturally comfortable.

Elttharion

Learned
Finished the first Ryza game last week. Pretty good and comfy JRPG. Not really a fan of the combat system, I am more of a turn based fan personally but it works and I personally focus much more on the crafting so, meh. Having to navigate menus to charge my itens while getting pounded by enemies was kinda stressfull, or I am just old and slow now. I liked all of the characters and Ryza was pretty funny as a protagonist. Not much else to say. I didnt mind the lack of a time limit and I think this is actually a good introduction to the series for newcomers. Great game, highly recommended.

Puukko

Arcane
Clickbait. The question is vague and the dude gives a roundabout answer. Nothing to be concerned about here.

Ryza 3 unlocks in a few hours. I've been in the mood for some Atelier again. so might give it a go. Had good fun with Firis earlier.

Elttharion

Learned
Clickbait. The question is vague and the dude gives a roundabout answer. Nothing to be concerned about here.

Ryza 3 unlocks in a few hours. I've been in the mood for some Atelier again. so might give it a go. Had good fun with Firis earlier.
Sure but considering Koei past actions I dont give them the benefit of doubt anymore.

MasPingon

Arcane
Everytime I see it on Steam and want to buy it i have to remind myself that it would be pathetic to buy a butt cheek travel simulator. Or am I wrong and it's not? Need a validation.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Don't tell anyone I told you this, but these games aren't actually about cute girls, that's a front. They're about poaching endangered animals and running a highly profitable legal meth lab.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Don't tell anyone I told you this, but these games aren't actually about cute girls, that's a front. They're about poaching endangered animals and running a highly profitable legal meth lab.
Firis is also about being a hobo

Gerrard

Arcane
This is a 10/10 in USA

2jWW8QD.png

rg8JZ0u.png

Reinhardt

Arcane
i see they are aiming for untapped spring breaker dindu nuffin youths audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom