Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Terminator: Dark Fate - Defiance - Future Wars Terminator RTS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I have a 50% matrix/slitherine loyal customer coupon; could use it on this, or Rule the Waves 3 (although Rule The waves is having discounts now and I could maybe get it at 30-40% next steam sale anyway), or I could hold it for some upcoming game. So far the only negative reviews I have read have been from some Gen Z'ers who bought it to play multi-player skirmish and were not happy with it somehow. Totally don't care what they say. They were whining about the points you get for "capturing muh territories!" or something. Its made to be mostly a single player campaign game, so don't care what those dorks are crying about....."but..but what about playing wif muh friends? How am I going to have any friends?" okay zoomer.

The other negative complaint I saw was about really widescreen monitors. The developers said they were working on a fix, so if that is an issue for you maybe that might be a reason to hold off as well. Trying to decide if I should use my coupon or not myself.

REhorror

Educated
Been playing the intro missions.

Man, it gets epic quick, love me the defense missions.

PanteraNera

Arcane
How good is it?
Early to say, but I actually think it might be really good.

Just some impressions:
- combat feels more like a simulation than a RTS, sure there is unrealistic elements like weapon range, which are fairly huge (by game standards), as you often can not see your unit and the enemy in range on the same screen. Vehicles have engines, tires, weapons and so on and everything individually can be damaged. If the engine is destroyed, or tires the vehicle can not move, if it is only damaged it moves slower. If the vehicles is on fire the crew bails out.
- you can run out of ammunition and have to find/bring supplies with you. Same for repairs of vehicles and fuel.
- I just found out that the new missiles I am using cost a crazy amount of resources, so things are balanced by cost.
- you can not go to big, as the more units you have the more supplies they need. If you run out of supplies it is game over.
- soldiers gain XP and on the world map at certain levels they can be trained to gain new traits.
- vehicles can be customized, with different armors, weapons, engine upgrades.
- you can trade (or find) new weapons for your infantry squads.
- missions have side quests with choices and consequences.
- squads have individual soldiers and if one or more die you can replace them with finite reinforcements on the world map. If all soldiers died you lose the squad.
- if there is a unit between you and the enemy you are shooting, chances are high it will get destroyed.

How good is it?

Just some impressions:
- combat feels more like a simulation than a RTS, sure there is unrealistic elements like weapon range, which are fairly huge (by game standards), as you often can not see your unit and the enemy in range on the same screen. Vehicles have engines, tires, weapons and so on and everything individually can be damaged. If the engine is destroyed, or tires the vehicle can not move, if it is only damaged it moves slower. If the vehicles is on fire the crew bails out.
- you can run out of ammunition and have to find/bring supplies with you. Same for repairs of vehicles and fuel.
- I just found out that the new missiles I am using cost a crazy amount of resources, so things are balanced by cost.
- you can not go to big, as the more units you have the more supplies they need. If you run out of supplies it is game over.
- soldiers gain XP and on the world map at certain levels they can be trained to gain new traits.
- squads have individual soldiers and if one or more die you can replace them with finite reinforcements on the world map. If all soldiers died you lose the squad.
- if there is a unit between you and the enemy you are shooting, chances are high it will get destroyed.
There is has been a LOT of whining on steam that the game is too hard even on easy mode, which is often a good sign. Also a lot of whining they don't like the 'multi-player skirmish'. Those are the two biggest complaints I have sen and where it is getting most of its downgrades. Also bad widescreen support, everybody w/ 5140x1440 monitors was having trouble, it seemed particularly confined to those monitor sizes, but developers said they were trying to fix it...I never knew so many people had that monitor size, but evidently there were quite a few. I never even heard of it...

Luka-boy

Arcane
It actually looks really good to me. The mechanics seem interesting and seeing some people online crying about it being too hard is encouraging.

But man, do I wish they weren't using the Legion timeline.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I can't take this game seriously. Does it look prettier than Achron? Sure. Does it have working time travel? No. Terminator my ass.

It actually looks really good to me. The mechanics seem interesting and seeing some people online crying about it being too hard is encouraging.

I don't think they had a choice, they bought the rights before the movie was made I think and were then stuck w/ the deal even after the movie sucked.... Supposedly though the people who have played the game say it feels much more like the older timeline than the newer one despite having the name 'legion' etc..

lightbane

Arcane
So, how does the Terminator faction play? Does Skynet have her own campaign mode?
Does Arnie make a cameo at some point?

std::namespace

there are actually 2 aaaaayyes who are fighting each other, thats hwy the meatbags are still alive!
skynet made the mistake of splitting self once to reason about multiple things all over the place and time and one shard gained consciousness

REhorror

Educated
How good is it?

Just some impressions:
There is has been a LOT of whining on steam that the game is too hard even on easy mode, which is often a good sign. Also a lot of whining they don't like the 'multi-player skirmish'. Those are the two biggest complaints I have sen and where it is getting most of its downgrades. Also bad widescreen support, everybody w/ 5140x1440 monitors was having trouble, it seemed particularly confined to those monitor sizes, but developers said they were trying to fix it...I never knew so many people had that monitor size, but evidently there were quite a few. I never even heard of it...
Really exposed how casual the Steam gaming space is.

Anyway, game is good. I'm currently having a Community Ban on Steam so I can't give it good review, shame.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I don't think they had a choice, they bought the rights before the movie was made I think and were then stuck w/ the deal even after the movie sucked.... Supposedly though the people who have played the game say it feels much more like the older timeline than the newer one despite having the name 'legion' etc..
I haven't seen it, of course, but maybe the plot of Dark Fate is more suitable for a video game than a movie adaption? Hopefully the universe of Dark Fate works well as a setting for the game. It's like Terminator but with a twist.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Honestly to me there was no movies after Terminator 1 & 2.

This game is the closest thing to what I always wanted, a tactics/strategy game playing in the "Future War" as in Kyle's flashbacks.

Sure the Terminators look slightly different, the tanks look slightly different, it is Legion and not Skynet. But honestly, to me that is pretty superficial, cause in the end it makes little differences. The sound-effects are spot on, as is the feeling of trying to win against all odds & doing everything to survive.

But hey, I am a hardcore fan with other things as well, so I do not blame anyone who passes on this game on the fact it is set in an "inferior movie version" of their favorite movie series.

REhorror

Educated
Honestly to me there was no movies after Terminator 1 & 2.

This game is the closest thing to what I always wanted, a tactics/strategy game playing in the "Future War" as in Kyle's flashbacks.

Sure the Terminators look slightly different, the tanks look slightly different, it is Legion and not Skynet. But honestly, to me that is pretty superficial, cause in the end it makes little differences. The sound-effects are spot on, as is the feeling of trying to win against all odds & doing everything to survive.

But hey, I am a hardcore fan with other things as well, so I do not blame anyone who passes on this game on the fact it is set in an "inferior movie version" of their favorite movie series.
Well, yeah, Skynet is actually barely a character/a thing you know anyway.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Playing this - p. decent, its Syrian Warfare except with robots instead of sand people. I like that lots of missions include dialogues with various NPCs too, good storyfaggotry happening along good realtime tactics.

agris

Arcane
Patron
How good is it?

Just some impressions:
between PanteraNera's description of the mechanics and a big complaint being "too hard", this sounds promising

is there a medical evac/soldier treatment system for live combat? i.e. are you required to actively remove injured soldiers from the battlefield so they can heal for a later mission?

PanteraNera

Arcane
is there a medical evac/soldier treatment system for live combat? i.e. are you required to actively remove injured soldiers from the battlefield so they can heal for a later mission?
Kind of, when soldiers are in combat and getting shot your units icon changes, usually it is blue but it starts getting orange as they receive wounds. After a certain threshold, if a squad has three soldiers it is 33%, a soldier dies. He is dead, gone, no way to recover. But if you disengage with you squad and put them somewhere where they are not fighting, do not see an enemy, are not moving they heal their wounds.
Often enough with certain weapons it takes only one bullet to kill a soldier.
If a squad lost soldiers in-mission there is no way to refill the squad.
On the world map there is a limited amount of people you can get, they are just a number/resource, and with them you replace your fallen.

REhorror

Educated
I'm getting my ass kicked in the first real mission in Realistic difficulty.

It's joever.

REhorror

Educated
I just finish the Albiquiu mission with almost perfect everything, loot the Abrams, Bradley, M113, and all the vans and trucks.

Holy kino game, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of options.

Also, the lesson of Syrian Warfare still shines here, infantries are only useful in building (but they are very useful that way), the mainstay of the battle are heavy vehicles that can shoot down termies and spiders while moving.
Mobilized warfare is also king, if possible, you need to put your infantries all in vehicles to haul ass quick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom