Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TECHNOLOGICAL LIMITATION

Joe Krow

Erudite
Text boxes are distracting because they do not occur in nature.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Heroes are distracting because they do not occur in nature. All PCs should die in one clean hit, with permadeath and have at most 50/50 odds of winning a combat with any foe they encounter.

The_Pope

Scholar
For an isometric game, text is very useful. You can't show much emotion on a 2 millimeter face. First person games don't really need text to tell you what you can already see, though it can be nice to find some in-world reading material.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
He did Torment, and MCA coasted along on somebody else's work, effectively gaining his reputation that he has now, by means of theft.

Who, Guido Henkel?

Uhhh, source it or I call bullshit.

masterridley

Novice
James: You worked on the groundbreaking Planescape: Torment, one of the most critically acclaimed games for writing in history. How would you say that it holds up against or compares to modern games that receive praise for their writing, like Bioshock or Half-Life 2?

Chris: Probably not as well, because Bioshock and HL2 took a better route with story presentation, and integrated the story more into the environment and scripted event placing, which I feel works much better for games than reading text.
I guess he still doesn't understand why his game became a classic...

like those idiots that believe that the defining element of FO was TB or killing children or even big guns

Also
Jesus%20Sad_jpg-crop.jpg

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Radisshu said:
I just realised how fucking awesome a text-based game with a very free story and a really powerful AI (to understand advanced grammar, being able to play out different roles and reactions, etc) behind it would be.

I just realized some people actually believe a game like this is possible to make.

Radisshu

Prophet
Jaime Lannister said:
Radisshu said:
I just realised how fucking awesome a text-based game with a very free story and a really powerful AI (to understand advanced grammar, being able to play out different roles and reactions, etc) behind it would be.

I just realized some people actually believe a game like this is possible to make.

I do realise the technology isn't there yet, and probably won't be in a really really long fucking time, and even when it is there it probably won't happen since most people wouldn't play it and it would such a bitch to code. But it would still be awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom