Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tamriel Rebuilt keeps chugging along

Funposter

Arcane
I still don't entirely understand this concern with seeing TR or its sister projects become "complete". This isn't a product, no main quest exists that requires an endpoint, no gameplay mechanics that await untouched. It sounds, to me, similar to someone saying they are waiting for the Forgotten Realms to be finished. Everyone involved already understands that reaching the finish line is just an aspiration, they're all mostly there because they're autists who enjoy world building or modding for the sake of it.
I just started my first run of TR a few days ago. It's an unrivaled amount of excellent content and no one could probably see all of it in one run. You are better off having it permanently installed and interact with it as it fits your playthroughs. I'm not sure if a complete tour of all the content is even possible considering mutually exclusive quests and outcomes, etc., but even if it is, by the time you "finish" seeing everything, there's going to be 3-4 new releases. I think the best time to start experiencing TR is right now.
Yep. Enjoy the content that TR has to offer with characters that it supports. House Hlaalu has a lot of content (good, because in vanilla they're the most boring Great House imo), as does the Tribunal Temple. The Almas Thirr Tribunal Temple questline is, as I have stated in other Morrowind threads before, an absolute favourite of mine and the highlight of Tamriel Rebuilt so far. The Imperial guilds are all well represented - enough content to hit Level 20 simply by doing the TR+vanilla faction content for one guild and pretty much nothing else. I haven't touched anything outside of Old Ebonheart for the Imperial Legion (and that was a couple of years ago), but it now looks to have quite a bit of extra content, which is good because it was one of the most bare factions in vanilla. And finally, the Imperial Cult looks to finally have a substantial amount of content with the Firewatch rework in Embers of Empire, although it's worth noting that two of the "quests" in Old Ebonheart are just boring fetch quest garbage.

So there you go. You've got enough content for 100% House Hlaalu, Tribunal Temple, Mages Guild, Fighters Guild and Thieves Guild playthroughs, and maybe the Imperial legion is included there? The Imperial Cult now has enough content to at least offset the weird difficulty spike that it experiences in vanilla when you start taking quests from Lalatia Varian at like Level 5.

Honestly, I'm a bit on the fence about Almas Thirr's imperial Guilds (Fighters, Mages, and Thieves). Not because they're bad (although TG certainly is bare bones, FG and MG somewhat less so), but the city, imo, should have just two factions: The Temple and the Morag Tong. It just doesn't really make sense in my mind to make Almas Thirr into something that isn't a smaller version of Necrom: a Dunmer-exclusive, holy city that's mired in politics and religion. Don't remove them, just move them somewhere with a smaller scale, like Hlan Oek, Teyn, or anything that makes sense for a fresh off the boat character to see.
On the other hand, Andothren's Thieves Guild is... surprisingly okay. I was a bit worried about "rebuilding the guild" questline, but it's always fun to subjugate Camonna Tong.
Also: Hlaalu wank is getting tiresome.

Tenebris

Scholar
Honestly, I'm a bit on the fence about Almas Thirr's imperial Guilds (Fighters, Mages, and Thieves). Not because they're bad (although TG certainly is bare bones, FG and MG somewhat less so), but the city, imo, should have just two factions: The Temple and the Morag Tong. It just doesn't really make sense in my mind to make Almas Thirr into something that isn't a smaller version of Necrom: a Dunmer-exclusive, holy city that's mired in politics and religion. Don't remove them, just move them somewhere with a smaller scale, like Hlan Oek, Teyn, or anything that makes sense for a fresh off the boat character to see.
On the other hand, Andothren's Thieves Guild is... surprisingly okay. I was a bit worried about "rebuilding the guild" questline, but it's always fun to subjugate Camonna Tong.

For whatever reason the devs love to stuff in the Imperial Guilds everywhere over the Dunmer equivalents. They plan to do it for Narsis too.

For whatever reason the devs love to stuff in the Imperial Guilds everywhere over the Dunmer equivalents. They plan to do it for Narsis too.
That actually makes sense, what with Narsis being the capital of (officially) Empire-aligned Hlaalu and probably the most business-oriented city in this part of Morrowind. I don't have any issue with imperial guilds having a presence in Hlaalu settlements, hell, even an EEC office wouldn't be that out of place. What really rustles my jimmies is seeing them in traditionally Temple- and Indoril-controlled areas. Out of the three I mentioned, I can only see Fighters Guild somewhat working, providing mercenary service to ruling powers, in exchange of upholding local principles. But Mages Guild and, Seht forbid, Thieves Guild should be treated with borderline-open hostility. I had the same problem with Mages Guild operating in Sadrith Mora; like Telvanni would ever allow it :lol: What's next, imperial guilds operating in Tear?

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it due to Morrowind-induced
crazyrobot.gif

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I took me over 100 hours to thoroughly explore the TR two years ago and do all the quests I could find. And that was with an OP char after completing the main game and expansions as well as superspeed levitation from the potion exploit. Shit's huge and filled with content. Going to be something playing though it normally once its even more complete.

Are there any mods specifically for TR?

None

Scholar
The only ones I'm aware of is M'aiq on the Mainland and Sword of the Kagouti King. Most are just adaptations of existing mods, small additions (usually player housing), or patches.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

You should be a project advisor

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I had the same problem with Mages Guild operating in Sadrith Mora; like Telvanni would ever allow it :lol: What's next, imperial guilds operating in Tear?
The Mages Guild doesn't operate in Sadrith Mora; it has a small space in the imperial fort Wolverine Hall outside Sadrith Mora itself (as does the Fighters Guild).

Uleni Heleran: "I am a mage and a member of the Mages Guild. In addition to my other duties, I teach Conjuration and Mysticism and Destruction. I'm not very experienced, but the Sadrith Mora chapter is not a popular posting because of the hostility of the Telvanni towards the Mages Guild, and they were glad to have me. It's been particularly unpleasant for me, since I'm an outlander Dark Elf, raised and educated in the West, and I much prefer Western ways to the cold, sour, dull seriousness of the locals."

Zed Duke of Banville
I'm well aware of Wolverine Hall and that piece of dialogue - doesn't change the fact that WH and SM proper are stone throw away from each other and I just can't see Telvanni suffering MG's presence for that long. They may not give a fuck, but not to such an extent; even Aryon, arguably the most progressive and open-minded of Telvanni wizard-lords, will make moves against Guild's monopoly. I mean, from a technical standpoint, Telvanni hate MG as much as Sixth House and one can't imagine them ignoring Sixth House's bases on Telvanni Isles (assuming there were any) :lol:

Screenshot-2023-12-04-at-21-56-39-Morrowind-House-Telvanni-The-Unofficial-Elder-Scrolls-Pages-UES.png

Looking at it now, Firewatch is essentially what Wolverine Hall should be: a highly fortified settlement at the edge of hostile environment. But that's just me rambling and I don't want to shit on base Morrowind too much, since the reasons are probably much simpler: players needing something to do in this part of the world.

thesecret1

Arcane
Here's their reasoning:
Almas Thirr would be perfectly situated as a faction hub, yet nearly a decade ago, when we first conceptualized the city, we found it unlikely that the Tribunal Temple would allow Imperial guilds to set up shop in their holy stronghold. This was a reasonable supposition, but does it really track with what we see in vanilla Morrowind? In fact, the original game has a great example of one of the holiest cities in Morrowind – Vivec, the seat of the god-king him/herself. Yet, that city does accommodate the Imperial guilds, although in a contained manner in its Foreign Quarter. Hence, not only would adding the guilds remove a major gameplay issue, but it would also agree with Vanilla depiction of Temple-Imperial relations.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Never forget that Vivec is a tranny who sucked Molag Bal's zesty demon seed through his bussy, then bit off a part of Molag's cock and tore out his own cock and combined both cocks together to create Muatra.

If there is any city imperials would feel at home in, it's Vivec city. Also Dunmer religion isn't just about Vivec. Sotha Sil is apathetic at best and Almalexia is antagonistic to imperials. Outside of the Tribunal, the main faith of the Dunmer people is ancestor worship.

deuxhero

Arcane
So there you go. You've got enough content for 100% House Hlaalu, Tribunal Temple, Mages Guild, Fighters Guild and Thieves Guild playthroughs, and maybe the Imperial legion is included there? The Imperial Cult now has enough content to at least offset the weird difficulty spike that it experiences in vanilla when you start taking quests from Lalatia Varian at like Level 5.

There's a dev interview that mentions Imperial Cult was rushed by one developer later in MW's development in order to have it make the base game. That explains a lot of the weird stuff (the improperly sized and empty tomb in Caldera, the quest giver reactions to not having finished the quest being relatively hostile, being the only guild to give rewards for advancement, etc.) in the quest line.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/General:Douglas_Goodall_Interview

Funposter

Arcane

There's a dev interview that mentions Imperial Cult was rushed by one developer later in MW's development in order to have it make the base game. That explains a lot of the weird stuff (the improperly sized and empty tomb in Caldera, the quest giver reactions to not having finished the quest being relatively hostile, being the only guild to give rewards for advancement, etc.) in the quest line.

Yes, Rolston intended it to be DLC and then it got shoehorned into the base game.

notpl

Arbiter

Yes, Rolston intended it to be DLC and then it got shoehorned into the base game.
Weird to think this is how things worked back then.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Literally the most butthurt Mw developer, he quit after an argument with Rolston and frequently whines online

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Is it true that so many people have worked on TR for a long time that it's a mixture of visual styles, kinda incoherent?

thesecret1

Arcane
Is it true that so many people have worked on TR for a long time that it's a mixture of visual styles, kinda incoherent?
Kind of, but not really. The main problem is the new TR and old TR split. New TR, you'll have consistent styles, etc. Old TR, basically anything goes. If you stick to areas released post-2018, you're in new TR where content is regularly updated with each release (and consistency is thus maintained, as if anything becomes outdated, it gets replaced next release). Areas released prior to that are not maintained and scheduled for a complete redo.

Tenebris

Scholar
Yeah, that's why they've been going back and redoing the older areas. It'll probably happen again too eventually.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Kind of, but not really. The main problem is the new TR and old TR split. New TR, you'll have consistent styles, etc. Old TR, basically anything goes. If you stick to areas released post-2018, you're in new TR where content is regularly updated with each release (and consistency is thus maintained, as if anything becomes outdated, it gets replaced next release). Areas released prior to that are not maintained and scheduled for a complete redo.

I see. Thanks for the explanation guys

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom