Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Illyria Series for Android

Lhynn

Arcane
Hm i see. well no doubt youve analyzed this already. I certainly believe your games are of quality, and i hope you do well in the future.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I think you underestimate how well these games could do on PC. Sell them for $4.99 on Steam or whatever, and I think you would do fine. You won't be a millionaire or anything, but I think you would pick up a following. These would be modern PC classics, I think, especially if you took out the player AI and let the player pick their own options during combat each turn.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, Little Killerz . I have recently finished Beyond The Iron Wall, and wanted to express my appreciation for the game. I feel like it is much better than Fallen Knight - the change (or rather expansion) of the setting and abundance of events made a lot of difference, moving the game from 'ok' to 'good' for me. The Lamia War questline nailed it for me - it will remain in my memories for a long time. Party members were better developed this time too, making them more memorable (and Harran is just plain cool). Kepri is also a more interesting character than Lord Elric - kudos for that.

As for the flaws, I did not like the beginning - I appreciate wanting the player to experience the introduction to the story instead of just showing him still images, but it took too long to get the game rolling. Also, combat is still too basic and uninspired, although adding one-use abilities was a step in the right direction. Or rather half-step.

Overall: good job!

Maybe I can coerce the staff to publish a review of this game, if I have some time to write it.

---

I support the proposed notion to move to PC development. Seriously, make the combat better, and the gameplay more involving (more complex character systems and interactions between mechanics), maybe some free roaming on the map (instead of just moving on the roads) and you will have a modern classic on your hands. Basically, new Darklands (which many people want) - maybe you can even use that as a tagline for your Kickstarter.

Actually, with good combat your game can be better than Darklands.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
MicoSelva Thanks for playing the game and the favorable review! It'd be cool if they'd let you post a review.

I agree with you. On most of your points, here are a couple of my thoughts....
  • The intro is long, been meaning to at least let you skip it. The lead writer felt he wanted an interactive intro. Maybe one day I'll replace it with a comic cutscene.
  • Was thinking about letting you pick your sex, Ep2 was/is a complete failure commercially. No one wants to play a girl. Which is a shame because she's really just one in a party of 6
  • Glad you liked the Lamia questline I'll be sure to tell the writer.
  • In retrospect I was thinking we should of maybe just eneded the game at the first 1/2 and/or instead of giving you a choice between the two second halfs just concentrate the efforts on one of them.
  • I'm still a fan of our combat system, but I do wish we built in reasons to switch up weapons and styles in melee combat.
Thanks,
Chad

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
MicoSelva do you plan on playing Ep3? That will be a bigger deal as it has 6 origin quest lines one for each kingdom. 15 party members to choose from each with a side quest. An arena to fight in. 30 Fighters guild jobs, 30 Mage Guild jobs, 30 Thieves guild jobs, 30 Kingdom jobs, 10 hunters guild jobs, Trow Quest DLC, Hero Worship DLC and the upcoming Mega-Dungeon. Not to mention a thousand random events.

For those interested Ep3 outsold Ep2 in its first month. 1 Month EP3 sales > 24 months Ep2 Sales. No body wants to play as Kepri :-( Any of you guys have an opinion on this?

It's a must play!!!

Chad

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Little Killerz I liked Kepri a lot, more than Lord Elric, but I can imagine why (small-minded ;) ) people would not see her as an attractive protagonist at a first glance. Good to know that you are seeing more revenue from Episode 3, since you certainly deserve it. I do plan to play it eventually, but after one and a half year of playing Tales of Illyria (Ep.1 then Ep.2) on my phone, I need a break and change of pace.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
My only critique for Ep3 is, outside of their quest, the companions do not feel unique. I only have played for like 4 - 5 hours (with some replay) and I find that in a given encounter what a companion says are tied to their position on party (e.g. companion slot 1, 2, etc). It would be a nicer touch to have each companion having more or less unique comment regarding certain situations.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
InD_ImaginE

Very fair observation. It's true very often we just pick a random party members to remark. Some time it's by alignment but often it's just your first companion which could be really dumb if your first companion is Werdna.

However we do often have special speaking moments if you have a particular character. Really depends on how motivated the writer was.

Also many events are tailored made for just a specific party member or party members. Like an event conversation fires only if you have xxx and yyy characters.

Obviously with 15 diffrent characters and any combination of them in your party. This was a big concession we had to make.

Thanks,
Chad

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
You can actually kill both of them. Werdna hates cats(made up) if you have a pet cat he will try to kill it. You will need to choose between the two.

Chuckles fucks the shit out of you. You can eventually choke him out or kick him in the balls.

Chad

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So lets see back in the ancient days i said i would play this game when i had a somewhat working cellphone. So i have a new (Bad) phone that can somehow with magic play this game on highest resolution.

And lets be honest this phone is bad, slow and horrible but the game still works without any real problems. There have been a few crashes when i went on long trips that lasted for 1-2 hours. But its nothing to bad as i just have to restart the phone to clear the memory. There was also one more major issue for me and that was that at one point i had so many saves (due to the constant saving during 10-15min travels), that when i had a unknown (probably large number) of saves. The game could not load any saves anymore and even if i tried to enter the save list the game would crash.

I have not run into this problem since then due to me managing the number of saves in a better way.

So lets talk about the game:
The game while interesting due to the more open world and interesting there are a few areas where i think that the game have taken a step back. For example some of the companions hardly have anything interesting to say, there is a lot of recycled events and i would say is that there are no real consequences due to the binary faction system. Another problem is the damn level scaling... gawd i hate level scaling, why the hell am i fighting rats or bandits that could in theory solo dragons that i had a hard time with at lower levels? The last problem i have with the dlc due to it being overpriced for the content you get. While somewhat interesting as it add something more to the game i would not say that its worth more then the game itself. But thats just my opinion and i know that due to how the market works on phones its the main way to make money.

Oh right one more thing i would like to see a turn based button instead of the ai doing everything all the time... maybe its due to my phone being so damn slow but there are times when there are no reactions so the ai just do whatever it wants.

So lets talk about some of the better and more interesting things:
I like the fact that you can pick and decide what you want to do and how you want to handle certain situations both on side quests, faction quests and story quests. There are a few interesting characters i just wish there was more of them. I like some of the more unique events and quests.

Sadly i did not play with any sound on so i cant comment that, i like the art style and the overall game experience.

If someone ask me if they should buy a rpg for their phone i would recommend this and the older games.

And i would like to comment that i enjoyed the game overall =) keep up the good work.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Kaldurenik

Thanks for all the feedback, I have to agree with most of what you said. I need to make sure their are no 20 lvl rats, lol. Shame about the cruddy phone. Also you should of played with the sound on, we got lots of sound tracks to set the mood of events and their are hundreds of sound effects that play as you progress through events.

Thanks,
Chad

Doktor Best

Arcane
Do all of your games have levelscaling? I despise that "feature" like hell and mostly ignore all games that sport those.
And will you someday release your games for the pc?

You can actually kill both of them. Werdna hates cats(made up) if you have a pet cat he will try to kill it. You will need to choose between the two.

Chuckles fucks the shit out of you. You can eventually choke him out or kick him in the balls.

Chad

Surely instead of 'hates cats', he should have a crippling phobia of ghosts, and occasionally break down into mumbling something about ghosts being able to 'phase through the layers of time' (i.e. Trebor's ghost hunting you in real time, while the rest of the game is turnbased). On the upside, give him some picklock skills, and a backstory about breaking out of 'the hardest motherf****n prison ever designed', and you've got a great Wiz 4 reference to go with your Wiz 1 reference:)

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Doktor Best

I'm also not the biggest fan of level scaling. But yes much of the game is level scaled but not all of it. There are several reasons for this.

Ep1 & Ep2 the reason is these games were linear story driven games, we didn't want you to have to grind and stop the flow of the story.
Ep3 this is an open world game where you can start from any location in the world, so that means we couldn't make different areas of the map more difficult etc..Also we have many basic combat events like Bandits etc...instead of making 10 different versions we just level scaled them.

With that said...there are many areas in the game that are not level scaled. Like you might find a dragons den and when you try to attack it at low level it kills you. So you can come back later after getting higher level and kill it. I'll make an effort to add more of this content.

Eventually the games will make it to other platforms. But I'm not putting a time on it.

Thanks,
Chad

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Azrael the cat

You are right, if I wanted to do a proper cameo I would of done what you suggested. He is looking for the "Proving Grounds", that his side quest.

Thanks,
Chad

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Busarba's a fucking beast, just saying.

And why does forfeiting a faction job also cause rep loss?

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Yeah Busarba is reaaly cool character. He was actullay supposed to be a pet you would find in a trap. You would have events where you hung out etc.. kinda like the cat. But the lead writer decided to make him a supernatural being that could talk.

I dont know i guess my thinking was once you accepted the job theyd be pissed off that you didnt complete it. i.e. you cant be counted on.

Glad you are playing!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom