Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Illyria Series for Android

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, been playing destinies this last week. I must say its good. While the story and character development definitely has taken a hit because of its open world nature with multiple origins and motivations, i can say that travelling is much more interesting if you are doing it with your very own character.

So far a couple things bug the shit out of me. First scripted interactions, like with the harlequin and a group of adventurers that is suposedly much more experienced than you are. I know its to set up something or make reference to something, but its total shit. Let me have the battle, let me have my ass handed to me.

On the faction relationship tab, it wouldnt hurt if you put some details about the kingdom itself, would be a good opportunity to have easy access to info on the setting, which is fairly interesting on its own right.

On magic:
Ice makes slow kind of useless, because ice is a AoE slow that does damage.
Fire is just awful all around, would up the damage and the chance to hit extra enemies a bit, or the bonus damage against cloth and leather armor wearing foes.
Lighting is even worse, up the bonus damage against plate armor or give it a chance to weaken enemies for a very short duration.

On weapons:
Spears are still kings of the frontlines, this hasnt changed since fallen knight, because its piercing stat is way too high. I remember Ice spear being as good as the "best weapon in the game" and it was dirt cheap. Lower the effect of piercing to maybe 30% extra damage, make them be able to attack from another row.

Bow damage seems to have been increased, thats good, seems to have shit accuracy, making them usable mostly by people that invest in agility. that is good too.

Skills:
The new skills that are usable once per fight are good, they add a bit of tactical depth.
I want to see the effects of skills in general, the short description is fine, but i want to see numbers. Either hide all numbers or make all numbers available, being able to see and plan for weapon damage, parry and special, etc but not knowing if a stance is better than other other than by experimenting is annoying.

Enemies
Wraiths are stupid powerful, that in itself is a good thing, but i would reduce the damage they do to the back row, maybe by half, with the sword throw.

Just a few observations, ill keep playing it, theres a ton to see and at that price its a steal. Game is hella fun, and i have to force myself to stop playing it when i get home.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Lhynn Thanks for being the first Codexer to really dig into Ep3!

I think most of your observations are spot on. Seriously, I'm not just saying that. I'll make the recommended changes when I update next. Although it will be a little while I really got burnt out making the 6.0 revised editions.

I like the new single use attacks too, they add a new dimension to combat.

Which skills in particular were you wanting to know more about? The problem often is that the underlying algorithms are usually kind of complicated and hard to describe in limited space.

I prefer Ep3 to the other games, I really like that you have zero idea of who is going to join you, where you are going to go, what you are going to do etc...

We hope to expand it for a long time to come. I still have my writers on staff working.

Chad

Lhynn

Arcane
I believe Crispy is also playing it.

About skills, all of them, berserker, balanced, heavy, etc. what does increasng their levels do for example. Stuff like

- Damage bonus
- Defense Bonus
- Chance for effect
- Attack speed bonus

If not numbers you can just say it like "penalty" "none" "low" "Mid" "high". Or use a 1/5 rating system. To at least make a more informed decision. I dont know if raising balanced will increase my defense, or it just doesnt have a penalty to it like i suspect berserker does.

Yeah, the companion implementation is definitely the best in the series, and i like that they are all optional.

I would like to suggest the implementation of "map marks". Maybe you cant complete some dungeon, because you are not strong enough. but you want to get back to it in the future, itd be nice if you could create a quest for it to be able to go back when you are better equiped. especially dungeons with monsters, where not much would realistically change. Also one of the best things of RPGs is that feeling you get when you are able to overcome a wall you encountered when you were weaker. It would also further reduce the impact of scaling, which is always a plus.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I am also playing it, though I will be restarting this week since I just swapped tablets and I don't think you can move saves from one tablet to another....or can you?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, Destinies is a lot of fun, but it pissed me off p. early on into the main quest:

Mild spoiler:

When you finally catch up to your father at the temple, you go through a little mini-quest to get the treasure then you wind up back in town, and are soon faced with a fight with some nigh-unstoppable goons who are clearly way above your level. I had already spent $.99 for 1000 gold when I first started the game to make it playable, but I don't want to have to keep doing that. I could of course go back to a previous save and grind away to level up more and come back to this point in the story, but that seems rather silly to me for an Android RPG.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Crispy sorry about the issue, the main quest lines are really just optional, you could of worked some more jobs or did a kingdom job or two. I wouldn't call that grinding. Send me an email to littlekillerz@gmail.com and I can give you a code for free gold.

Lhynn

Arcane
Crispy
Game is perfectly playable without buying gold. did you get the dlc content? how is it?
Also as far as ive seen you get a different MQ depending on your place of origin, which is p. good. Also the game is more about wandering and making your name known than about following a quest. If you want a more quest driven experience id play the first and the second episode.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
If anyone on the codex buys the "Quest Bundle" I will refund the orders. Just send me the order number. I want you guys to play the whole thing. In the future I will make a code for this so you dont have to order it. But its the best I can do for now.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I was just shocked at how instantly difficult that particular fight got. It was a real turn-off, but I'm not giving up on the game. I do like it a lot.

I think I may take you up on that gold offer, though.

Lhynn

Arcane
Alright, ive been delaying this post for nearly 2 weeks.
Im already beyond endgame, im level 20, my team is a well oiled machine that simply cannot lose, no matter the fight i just pocked my cellphone and listen to music while the combat plays out. I have 3 estates and thinking of going for the other 3. Ive completed the main quest from thorta origin, im about to go slay a dragon, ive gone to hell, murdered some demon archlord, done the quest for busarba (i think thats his name), kinda disappointed the other companions dont have one.

My suggestions, other than increasing the power of fire and lighting spells you can disregard them. Found that a variety of builds work just as well or better than spear berserkers. Plus i like this kind of things, i dont know why i ranted against it in my other post. I found that poison is a very good starter spell, but its awful at high levels when the speed of the characters and the high hp pools means the damage it does is minimal, thats fine. I would like to be able to personalize the priority of the spells, a lot of fun could be had if you could set up your party IA.
Another thing i dont like is the constant level scaling, i get that its needed because the bonus to combat speed and other assorted bonuses that come from just leveling makes it so that fighting underleveled opponents is super easy, but i would get rid of ALL the bonuses you get from leveling but the stuff you can learn and the stat point, and get rid of level scaling completely. Also fighting lvl 20 bees gets old, fast.

Vasena is VERY good, i love travelling around that place, i only wish the other kingdoms had more to differentiate them.
More easily accessible lore would be nice, maybe npcs in towns telling you more about the region.

All in all one of the best rpgs ive played this year, its at its most fun at the midgame when you are still struggling.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi Lhynn really glad you liked the game!

1. We probably need to quit spawning certain events after a while, A level 20 rat is kind of lame LOL! And really shows that level scaling is going on.
2. We need to add more non-level scaled content. Like say a dungeon that is level 10, but after that can level scale to you to keep it interesting if you find it say when you are level 15.
3. Most of the companions do have side quests. They should of fired, who did you party with? and I can tell you if they did have quests.

We have a lot of new content in development. Also did you get a chance to play the Hunter and Thieves Guilld, or the Hero Worship and Trow Treasure quest. If you haven't Send me an email and I can put you on the free IAP list. All IAP will be free, just try not to cheat.

We are going to go FTP soon so more people will be able to enjoy the games, who knows if for some reason it does well there maybe we could see ports one day.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, whats the reasoning behind going f2p? like what would be your business model?

1. The only event that bothered me was the saddle rippers one, last time i lost 11000 gold coins with it, i got so much and nothing to buy that i didnt care for it, but it was really really lame. Makes me wonder why my character dont just check the saddles before every trip, even if i had to do it manually. Or buy new ones, like im fairly certain the money lost to that event would cover saddles for an entire army.
2. Youd be better off just modifying the character system in a future game, dont make levels the most important stat. and better yet, dont give it to non player characters or monsters, just give them static stats depending on what you think they should be like. Take a more AD&D aproach to it.
3. My team has Busarba, Gallea, Shamina, Stubert and Frank. I have plenty more on the waiting list, but they are lvl 1 and the gap between a lvl 1 and a lvl 20 is way too big to even bother.

Finally, as for ports, i dont think the gameplay in this game would translate well to other platforms, its fairly passive and about strategy and short term decision making outside of combat. Which is an extremely effective combination for android, but PC users want more control, and console users would probably get bored.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
1. I thought we capped the gold on these events. I'll take a look. You can stash the extra gold at the estates.
2. I don't think we will be making a game anytime soon. If we do it will be a Fallout meets Tales game. It would have to be kickstarted though. I also someday want to make an Ultima Clone but in the 3,4,5 vein.
3. All of those companions do have short side quests. I can give you more details if you want.

I agree, I guess I mean an IOS port. But I hate Apple...

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Oh, the lower level characters get a very big bonus XP, they will level very fast to catch up to the group level.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fallout meets tales? from the "Tales of" games? the concept is a bit strange. Like i cant imagine how you would go about merging them both. But could be interesting

If you are going kickstarter open a thread in the RPG forums and get all the feedback you can there, before doing anything. These guys are really experienced and can help you a lot with it.

Sure, do i need to do something to trigger companion quests? I always keep them super happy but for some reason the only one i get interactions with is the dog. I have been to pretty much every city in the game but the ones in islands, because no quest or anything has ever led me there.

Also found a bit annoying to reject quests on the guilds till i get one thats on my own route, would be better if the quest let you pick the place and paid you according to both difficulty and how far it is. Or if you could pick quests from a limited pool.

Oh, the lower level characters get a very big bonus XP, they will level very fast to catch up to the group level.
This sounds extremely handy and a good thing.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
I mean like Gamma World(Fallout is better know so I used that) it would just be a reskinned version of the game, instead of medevil castles you'd goto barter town type places. Instead of swords you'd have base ballbats, instead of shields you'd have stop signs. Instead of magic you'd have mutations, Instead of catching dystenry you'd get radiation poisoning. Instead of picturesque trails the scenery would be bombed out, old cars and buildings, rubble roads etc... Instead of kingdoms you'd have different warring factions etc...

Lhynn

Arcane
Ahh, a tales of illyria reskin, now i get it. How 80s. Sadly i doubt it would sell, not more than medieval stuff anyway.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Oh why FTP? because no one is buying our games and we make more money from the IAP than we do through app sales. The mobile market just demands FTP.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, yeah. Ive found that you either have brand recognition or you go f2p. Gonna go heavy on microtransactions?

Why even stick to android? isnt PC more viable with steam and all that?

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Steam isn't as lucrative as it used to be since they opened the flood gates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom