Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn - remaster based on 2010 release

Mauman

Learned

Alright fuck it... just ordered a copy.

For the most part I like this review...

But I have trouble trusting someone who actually picked the NEUTRAL route.

:what:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
This Remaster is pretty great.
I used play a lot of Snes version and had a blast, was disappointed by PSP version(plenty of shitty mechanics and overall bloat) but this new version is really great.

Also there is fix for Windows 7 if you still on this ancient yet amazing OS

somerandomdude

Learned
Protip, in the first map of the first bonus dungeon, you can recruit flying rune fencers, and these are really good if you can get a few. Scout the map, if you don't see them, exit and repeat.

Flying rune fencers are probably the best generic units, IMO. They're extremely versatile. I'm in chapter 4 (law) and I still got 3-4 spots open for flying rune fencers, even with all the unique characters/classes the game has given me. Also, turn Canopus into a rune fencer.

Dyskolos

Cipher
Protip, in the first map of the first bonus dungeon, you can recruit flying rune fencers, and these are really good if you can get a few. Scout the map, if you don't see them, exit and repeat.
You can get one easily in chapter 1 in the Lake Bordu battle through recruiting. You can also get 1-2 lizardmen in the next battle. Those are tougher to pull off but they're strong generic physical fighters for a good while.

notpl

Arbiter
If your Denam isn't a Terror Knight then I dunno what the frick he is because he ain't SHIT.
I still don't see the point of a terror knight. If possible they're even worse now than they were in the psp version, because Finishing Moves now use MP and terror knights don't get Meditate.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You can get one easily in chapter 1 in the Lake Bordu battle through recruiting. You can also get 1-2 lizardmen in the next battle. Those are tougher to pull off but they're strong generic physical fighters for a good while.

My recruitment attempts suck. I tried to recruit dragons yesterday and the fights went over really well so I had multiple attempts, but the %-chance was extremely low even with dragon on very low HP.

I've never seen a version of these jRPG-recruit mechanics I liked. Lemme focus on your brilliant combat system manne.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If your Denam isn't a Terror Knight then I dunno what the frick he is because he ain't SHIT.
I still don't see the point of a terror knight. If possible they're even worse now than they were in the psp version, because Finishing Moves now use MP and terror knights don't get Meditate.
Use MP curatives when you are closing in on the enemy. You don't need to use Finishing Moves every time either. Frightened status is nice.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
Swordmasters got pretty nice buffs in this version. Preempt is an autoskill now and it seems to have a very good activation rate. Two handed weapons seem to have gotten a damage increase across the board as well so they can oneshot with stuff like mighty strike and falling blade. They seemed to have buffed all the war dances as well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How tf do I recruit dragons. Just had a fight with a single dragon left on 1HP and still my chance was 0%

EDIT: Oh you have to stand right next to it. Wasn't communicated anywhere -.-

Last edited:

somerandomdude

Learned
There are many definitions of cuckness

One of the best has gotta be "Person who reloads when losing characters in Tactics: Ogre"

It's called being retarded, because you can buy revive items and full heal potions and put them on anyone.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

One of the best has gotta be "Person who reloads when losing characters in Tactics: Ogre"

It's called being retarded, because you can buy revive items and full heal potions and put them on anyone.

There are plenty of scenarios where possible NPC recruits and/or story characters will die instantly if they reach 0 HP, and given that this game actually takes all those different scenarios into account and often comment on them, it changes the story a bit each time something like that happens.

somerandomdude

Learned

There are plenty of scenarios where possible NPC recruits and/or story characters will die instantly if they reach 0 HP, and given that this game actually takes all those different scenarios into account and often comment on them, it changes the story a bit each time something like that happens.

The worst one is saving Azelstan. But putting that toss item skill on Vyse made it doable. In the PSP version, you just oneshot the boss with an archer.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The worst one is saving Azelstan. But putting that toss item skill on Vyse made it doable. In the PSP version, you just oneshot the boss with an archer.

I'm new to the game and obviously going through it blind, and I lost that Wizard dude. He made kind of a retarded move and got crit by two enemies. I also lost someone early on when I had no clue what I was doing

somerandomdude

Learned
I'm new to the game and obviously going through it blind, and I lost that Wizard dude. He made kind of a retarded move and got crit by two enemies. I also lost someone early on when I had no clue what I was doing
I missed out on recruiting a couple of characters as well, but it's not like I missed much, they were just 2 thots that wouldn't have been used in my rota anyway. Also, wizards are shit in this version of the game anyway. As are mages in general, IMO.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
By recruiting do you guys mean in towns/castles or during combat with the recruit skill?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I missed out on recruiting a couple of characters as well, but it's not like I missed much, they were just 2 thots that wouldn't have been used in my rota anyway. Also, wizards are shit in this version of the game anyway. As are mages in general, IMO.

I haven't been impressed with Wizards so far, but I just got Paradigm Shift and that certainly seems like it has potential. My Enchantress has been on the team for giggles than anything, but with the AoE-stuff unlocking she's a bit more useful.

I love gishes but I also haven't been impressed with Rune-Fencer/Valkyrie. Seems like a poor man's Ninja for the most part.

EDIT: I'm expecting my Enchantress to become quite a bit better once I unlock the +3 range staff though. Because she can't use Baldur Mace, she skips the +2 weapon meaning you get a huge increase when the +3 staff becomes available.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom