Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

I really think gaming needs to forget about focussing on old greats - remember them for their great work, but don't keep on following them and expect them to recreate it. Nobody expects that with musicians - it's considered completely natural that they'll do 2 to 4 great albums, and then continue producing stuff because they need to make a living, but that stuff will never be as relevant as their early work. Yes, there are exceptions - Nick Cave, Geldof....um Nick Cave....Ok, there's a few exceptions. And even they fade out for a good decade or so every now and then - they're more 'decade on, decade off', form-wise than 'consistently great'.
When do you think Bethoven peaked

True, and there's massive differences in experience/age vs peak output across different fields. Most great mathematicians produce their only ground-breaking work in their 20s, then simply elaborate/expand on that breakthrough for the rest of their career. Most great philosophers wrote their landmark works near the end of their life. I'd say there's a clear difference between classical music and modern rock when it comes to the effect of age upon peak output. There even seems to be a difference between rock and electronic dance music in that regard - I'm not massively knowledgeable about the latter, but it seems pretty standard for the electronic dance music guys to sustain their output over decades, with folk who started in the 80s still doing relevant stuff today.

Thing is, history of game development suggests that it's one of those areas where you do your best work when you're young, and that the very best have less than 10 years of good work in them.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
SS 1 Remake and SS 3 are being made by different guys and are separate games.
Ahh thanks. It could work out ok if the remake hits first and raises some awareness and interest, and then SS3 comes along to cash in. I just hope they can make ss3 a hardcore rpg shooter and not just an action game.

SS3 is looking a lot like Warren Spector making a Deus Ex game using the SS setting. There's nothing inherently wrong with that - it's just an expectations shift, they're both great games, and the SS setting does invite a more conversation + C&C type spin-off game (there were definitely moments in SS2 where I wished I had Deus Ex style choices and interactivity - eg the ability to send a fucking grenade at the escaping couple before they took off in the last escape pod, potentially spreading the Many parasite to Earth).
That would suck for me because I loved System Shock but Deus Ex bored me.

I really think gaming needs to forget about focussing on old greats - remember them for their great work, but don't keep on following them and expect them to recreate it. Nobody expects that with musicians - it's considered completely natural that they'll do 2 to 4 great albums, and then continue producing stuff because they need to make a living, but that stuff will never be as relevant as their early work. Yes, there are exceptions - Nick Cave, Geldof....um Nick Cave....Ok, there's a few exceptions. And even they fade out for a good decade or so every now and then - they're more 'decade on, decade off', form-wise than 'consistently great'.

Well said.

A game development studio will have more talent with artists, writers, musicians, etc to create the finished game. Game developers need young talent to keep things up to date and old talent to share lessons already learned.

Azrael the cat
haughty.png
Arcane

Did you back Underworld Ascendant?

No. I like the idea, and hope it suceeds, but the scope and tech just seemed too vague to put money down before there's a completed product. Will definitely purchase if the game materialises in a state even 60-70% of the quality of what is promised.

Aenra

Personally am just curious. Not really looking forward to it.

SS1 and SS2 (albeit much less) worked for two reasons:
- i was too young; and as such both easily impressionable and unaware (mentally).
- i was too young; and finger mashing was O.K (not just mentally, but physically too).

Neither's the case anymore. What horror is now to me these people cannot hope to even fathom, let alone convey in a pegi 12 video game. Just can't. And whatever a degree of artificial tension (gameplay elements, pew pew-ie combat) they achieve in creating, it will be of a kind i now avoid like the plague.
edit: which explains to me why they're "broadening" their audience as they've said :)

So.. just curious.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You should replay them. They are nothing like the shitty survival horror games you get nowadays. Being young and impressionable was only a small part of why they were so special.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
It's the same Thing with RPG's. They work even though no adult feels real tension at the sight of a pixelated, palette-swapped monster. Still you can enjoy the feel of grand adventure. Horror in vidya works best when it creates feelings of bleakness or sorrow rather than dread.

Ivan

Arcane
System Shock is like Deus Ex+ Stalker for me. It definitely has that "straggling to survive" feel few games achieve or even attempt anymore.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Spanish interview: http://www.vandal.net/reportaje/warren-spector-en-el-fun-serious-game-festival-2016

Google Translate AI said:
Congratulations on the award. As a big fan of Deus Ex games, it is a pleasure to interview you. You are doing a new System Shock, while another studio is also working on the saga. After so many years, how do you see the return of it?

On the one hand, there's the Nightdive studio doing a remastering of original, updating graphics, and on the other hand, I'm making a whole new one. The first we have already seen, on my own nobody knows anything yet.

And you can not tell us something?

Obviously I can not say much, but this I can tell you: SHODAN returns. The main enemy of the saga, will return. Citadel Station, from the first game, will also come back somehow. What I'm trying to do is create the most complete simulation I've ever created with a team to date. I want to give players the chance to tell their own stories, and one of the ways I think we can do it is to create a complete simulation. To be able to interact with a world that is simulated in a complex way ... to see what happens.

Remember that we are still in the conceptual phase, which takes a few months. Then we went to pre-production, then to production, alpha phase, beta and to launch the game. This is how the developments go. In the conceptual phase you think about the game you want to do, you do not worry about whether it is possible to do it. Already in pre-production is when you think about what you can do.

So for the moment you are shuffling ideas.

Exactly. They are all ideas right now, to develop small prototypes and so on.

We have also interviewed Sean Krankel, with whom you have worked, and we have asked the same question. Now we have the Triple A, like Uncharted, and then we have the Indies, like Oxenfree, but the Single A is disappearing from the market. Do you think it's going to happen forever, or those games halfway between the two are coming back?

I'm doing one of those "games halfway", so I hope they come back. (Laughs) I do not know how to make an independent game. You give me a million or two million dollars, or 250,000 dollars and I do not know what to do. I'm not that kind of developer. I've always done Triple As ... I do not want to tell you what was the budget for the last Epic Mickey, but it was crazy. I do not want to do that anymore. I think there's a middle ground. I do not think it's a Single A. My partner and I call it Triple I, which is like a much more ambitious indie.

On BioShock:

Another of your "nephews" is BioShock, a kind of spiritual successor to System Shock. Have you played them?

No, I played the first one, and it seemed a bit linear for me. Ken Levine is a genius storyteller, but I think he likes to tell his stories, and the games that appeal to me - God Ex, Dishonored - are the ones that let me tell my story. I am less interested in someone's story than my own.

Aenra

I would respect a 'full' simulation if done right(tm), even though it's not my thing.

It admittedly goes well with the genre. Likewise with VR gear and tech.
What worries me is that they touted VR for UA, it even was a stretch goal i think? Meaning they are mostly fucking around with other people's money -and- clueless of what makes or unmakes the boundary between RPG and simulation.
:M

(in before Zep Zepo, lol)

Personally am just curious. Not really looking forward to it.

SS1 and SS2 (albeit much less) worked for two reasons:
- i was too young; and as such both easily impressionable and unaware (mentally).
- i was too young; and finger mashing was O.K (not just mentally, but physically too).

Neither's the case anymore. What horror is now to me these people cannot hope to even fathom, let alone convey in a pegi 12 video game. Just can't. And whatever a degree of artificial tension (gameplay elements, pew pew-ie combat) they achieve in creating, it will be of a kind i now avoid like the plague.
edit: which explains to me why they're "broadening" their audience as they've said :)

So.. just curious.

SS2 is anything but a button-mashing game. Biggest long-term challenge in the game is resource management. You're going to be saving every shot of your better weapons, and trying to dispose of weaker enemies using the wrench (or lazer-sword depending on skill tree), which isn't 'hard', but requires careful timing instead of button mashing.

The resistances system is also seriously important, and you'll need to pay attention to what weapons to use against 'mostly still humanoid', 'mostly mutant', 'mechanical' and 'organic-mechanical hybrid' (these are the enemy resistance classes) enemies.

Aenra

SS2 is anything but a button-mashing game

I semi-exaggerated for emphasis, but point still stands.. there are way too many moments when physical reflexes are all it takes, you either have them and move on, or lack them and re-load.
Which of course is acceptable for a simulation or any other genre that benefits or is based on them.

I was only stating my own change of preferences through the years.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
If they manage to produce something akin to Call of Pripyat crammed into Citadel Station, I'd be pretty happy.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another Spanish interview with Warren: http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2..._812802.html#?ref=rss&format=simple&link=guid

On the other hand, the company I work for now, made by former members of Looking Glass [the company with which Spector created their great works], is convinced, and I am also convinced that there is a business model that we would call iii or alone A [laughs]. Teams of 20-25 people. 10 million budget. Do not compete in the graphic, compete in the mechanics.

Q. About the open design you invented or potentiated like no one else. The dream has always been to be able to get into another body and interact without limits with a world. What tools do we need, especially in verbal interaction, to make that dream possible? Because we continue in the branched dialogue of 40 years ago.

A. Yes. And that hurts me ... See, we need several things. Some we know how to do and others we have no idea. One of the things I want to do in System shock 3. This saga that we started in 1994 and that still interests people, which hallucinates me. Anyway, I want to build ... I better redo the phrase. I want my team and I to build a better simulation than we have seen so far. Minimize scripting [the events that are generated previously and by which the player will pass yes or yes] that puts the power in the hands of the designer and put the effort in the simulation, that gives that power to the player. I think that with this approach we will achieve a much more powerful and guided by the player interactive immersion.

The second thing I think we need is better artificial intelligence beyond combat. We need to be able to interact with humans in a natural way and not be scripted. To a large extent, this is conversation. But I still do not know how to make conversation. There are people working on it, with incredible approaches to how to get it, although I really can not even talk about them.

Q. I know a team from Extremadura, Spaniards, who are working on this with IBM.

A. I met them the other day [laughs]. They are ones. And there are others.

I'm going to put an example of what I want in terms of interaction in games. You and I just met. And we have a glass of water between us. Imagine that I take the glass of water and spill it on you. The first thing you would do would be getting up and trying to dry your pants before they get soaked. You probably would not punch me.

Q. Probably, yes.

A. [Laughs]. But the reaction would change if you were my grandfather and I your grandson of five years. Or if we were the same age and, after throwing the glass of water, I said: "Your wife will leave you to escape with me." Or if the first thing I did in the interview is to get a cigar and start to put smoke on your face. I want a video game in which the characters interact differently towards the player according to how they feel towards him. And in most games you can not spill the glass of water.

And the most difficult of all is that we need a masters, such as role-playing, to be artificial. That is, a system that makes decisions and modifies the game, not only its difficulty, depending on what the player wants. Imagine that day you do not feel like killing anyone; Because the game is adjusted to it. Or the opposite, that you want to load everything you can. I want that master who can modify the rules in real time. When that happens, each game will be completely different for each player.

Q. It's exciting to think about a masters role-playing dialogue. In fact, it's probably the kind of games in which you have more freedom than all of the ones we've created. If the master's degree is good, anything is possible. So, do we need to give up for hyperrealistic 3D graphics for a while and go back to the simple, 2D, to dig deeper into this?

A. I think you're right. In 3D you have to assume a series of assumptions and complexities that can ruin the experimentation we are talking about. The problem is commercial. Someone to finance it. Or you are the most intelligent human being in the world and you are working alone in a garage, it is difficult to imagine how you will achieve it. But, probably, someone is already working on this. I always tell my students the same thing: 'Your job is to go out there and destroy me. Doing things I can not even imagine. ' I've been working on this for 33 years. I have a certain philosophy of how to manage teams and a clear goal: to get the player to tell their own story by playing. I try to get closer to this goal with each game. But I need to find someone to come up with a completely crazy idea and show me the way. But I have reached the point that it has to be another person. Maybe it's you. Maybe it's someone in the audience here in Bilbao who was listening to my lecture. All I know is that I'm anxious to meet him. I love discovering new ideas. The ones that will change everything.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.512tech.com/technology/g...w-book-explore-create/NX11gyJaW2bERNHXyiSFPN/

Last year he co-authored with famed fantasy writer Tracy Hickman a book that ties in with “Shroud of the Avatar” called “The Sword of Midras,” a work he says he’s extremely proud of. And he’s still talks with some of the other big names in games he worked with at Origin, exchanging ideas and concepts.

With Chris Roberts, who is working in a $141 million space game called “Star Citizen,” he’s exchanged digital objects; some of them will appear in “Shroud.”

And with Warren Spector, who left academia to work on “System Shock 3,” there’ll be some shared backstory between their games, he said.

“We make sure that our worlds are still related,” Garriott said. “We all support each other and love each other. Maybe us old Originites might find a way to get back together.”

Maybe he was referring to Underworld Ascendant, not System Shock 3. Maybe not.

I was informed on Twitter that this video has been made private now. Too bad. I wonder why.

Thankfully, they've uploaded an edited version:

There's also a Charles Cecil talk if anyone's interested:

Don't know if it's any good.

Looks like he's been listening to the input on the forums recently. Nobody else there likes cut scenes, and everybody wants to push dialogue forward from the 1990s.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Tweets from Spector's Deus Ex postmortem at GDC:

“Lots of the people on Dishonored and Prey are my old team, and don’t work for me anymore. They’re really happy there. I hate it.” #GDC17

Also, Spector wishes he could steal his team back from Prey to work on System Shock 3.

Warren Spector says he still listens to the Deus Ex soundtrack. “All the time." He says he also listens to the System Shock soundtrack, thus infecting the audience with two of the biggest earworms in video games.

I guess at least we can expect more cyberpunk-y soundtrack from this, unlike other modern System Shock-likes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom