Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warren Spector reveals new details about System Shock 3, Sheldon Pacotti and Doug Church onboard

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Doug Church; OtherSide Entertainment; Sheldon Pacotti; System Shock 3; Warren Spector

Back in February, we learned that Warren Spector had joined OtherSide Entertainment on a full-time basis to lead development on System Shock 3 at a brand new studio in Austin. However, actual work would only begin in June, after he concluded his teaching duties at the University of Texas. With summer coming to an end, today we receive our first glimpse of Warren's plans for System Shock 3, as well as the team he's assembled to create it, which includes Deus Ex lead writer Sheldon Pacotti as Design Director and the legendary Doug Church, taking a break from manufacturing hats at Valve in a part-time creative consultant role. More information about that in this press release. As for the game itself, I'll let Warren speak for himself. Here's an excerpt from his interview at Polygon, which also includes some early concept art:

"In System Shock 3 I want to explore Shodan's motivations," said Spector. "In the first two games her plan was to destroy humanity because, with the removal of her ethical constraints by the hacker in the first game, she's going insane. But we never explained why she wants to destroy humanity. So we're going to be exploring the idea of a super intelligence and what would motivate a super intelligent AI."

At the end of the second game, Shodan downloads herself into a human woman called Rebecca Siddons, leaving a cliffhanger. This will be the starting point ofSystem Shock 3.

"We are going to be picking up all of the loose threads of System Shock 2. Rebecca Siddons is going to appear in this game, for sure," he said.

Spector pointed out that there are six survivors from the previous games. Their stories will all be addressed in System Shock 3 as well. Among the NPCs, there's Shodan and Siddons as well as her colleague, Tommy Suarez. The story will also include Rebecca Lansing, who was the player's human guide in the first game.

Also, the game will feature the two previous protagonists: the hacker from the original game, and the soldier from System Shock 2.

"We're going to tell their story," said Spector. "There are a lot of questions that went unanswered in those first two games and we have an obligation to fans to fill in the blanks. For new players I think that will pull them into a compelling narrative."

The story will also delve into the history of Edward Diego, a key character in the first game who persuades the player to hack into Shodan.

The original System Shock takes place in the year 2072, while System Shock 2 takes place 42 years later in 2114, also the year in which the new game picks up the story.

Spector said he wants to create a game that addresses today's concerns and that draws upon modern technological advances to make predictions about the future: "I like to base everything in reality and extrapolate from there. We want to be able to look at where we are today and ask where we might be a hundred years from now."

Like the original, the game will feature virtual spaces as well as real world locations, as the player tackles Shodan on her own cyber turf.

"There's been a lot more research into UI and super intelligence in recent years. That will find itself in System Shock 3," he said. "We understand hacking a lot better than we used to and it will be presented in a completely different way than it was presented in the earlier games.

"Back when we made System Shock, cyberpunk was still at its height in terms of popularity and cultural significance and it was a big inspiration. Nowadays, cyberpunk is a little less current. I've learned over the years that it's foolish to try to convince people to become interested in something they don't care about, so we're finding things that people are interested in today."​

[...] I asked Spector if, given that he worked on the first game but not the second, he feels a closer affinity to one than the other?

"I like and respect the second one but it was significantly different from the first," he replied. "I'm constantly struggling with how much we adhere to the tenets of the first one and how much do we adhere to the tenets of the second one. The second game was a much more traditional role-playing game than the first one. It's a mental struggle for me about which direction I want to go in. I will admit that."
Sounds like this could get controversial! On the one hand, Warren says he wants to move on from cyberpunk. On the other hand, he seems to lean towards making the game more like the first System Shock, which is widely considered more cyberpunky than its sequel. Sheldon Pacotti's presence on the team suggests that no matter what we get, it'll probably be intellectually thought-provoking. But will it be an RPG? It's still early days, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So Doug Church is basically this project's Chris Avellone.

Also, Spector never really liked traditional RPG systems much - I think, to him, the point of the Looking Glass concept of simulation was, among other things, precisely to move away from those - so I'm not surprised by his ambivalence towards the second game. Ultimately, though, the proof will as always be in the pudding.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With all the excitement about the team and Warren's interview, some people might miss this:

And stay tuned for an upcoming announcement regarding the game engine that Otherside Entertainment will be using to create the world of System Shock 3 and other titles.

Sounds like Not Unity.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Sheldon Pacotti and Doug Church

I cant deal with this news. Cautious hype.
latest

"I've learned over the years that it's foolish to try to convince people to become interested in something they don't care about, so we're finding things that people are interested in today."

I am not sure I understand what he means. I guess Mickey experience fucked him over, so its going to be less Cyberpunk and more regular Sci Fi I bet, maybe even dystopian Elysium style earth.

Last edited:

Cynicus

Augur
Cautiously fapping while weeping.

"Back when we made System Shock, cyberpunk was still at its height in terms of popularity and cultural significance and it was a big inspiration. Nowadays, cyberpunk is a little less current. I've learned over the years that it's foolish to try to convince people to become interested in something they don't care about, so we're finding things that people are interested in today."

:dead:

Also, the game will feature the two previous protagonists: the hacker from the original game, and the soldier from System Shock 2.

"We're going to tell their story," said Spector. "There are a lot of questions that went unanswered in those first two games and we have an obligation to fans to fill in the blanks. For new players I think that will pull them into a compelling narrative."

Fuck their stories. Their stories have been told. And fuck your fan service, Warren.

Athelas

Arcane
Yeah, I doubt anyone is suffering sleepless nights over the unresolved fate of Goggles or Hacker. Trying to fit them (and NPC's you heard on the adio logs) into the plot just seems pointless.

That's one of the things SS2 did well, the plot referenced the prior game in a non-fanservicey way ('what ever happened to those groves you launched into space?' was a very cool story hook). Although Diego's son being there was a bit contrived, I guess.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might ditch cyberpunk? What the hell... what would it be replaced with? Standard Mass Effect style sci-fi?

JDR13

Arcane
Yeah, I doubt anyone is suffering sleepless nights over the unresolved fate of Goggles or Hacker. Trying to fit them (and NPC's you heard on the adio logs) into the plot just seems pointless.

That's one of the things SS2 did well, the plot referenced the prior game in a non-fanservicey way ('what ever happened to those groves you launched into space?' was a very cool story hook). Although Diego's son being there was a bit contrived, I guess.

Yeah, it does seem silly that the hacker from the original game would be involved seeing as how this will take place 42 years after the events of SS1. Hopefully it's no more than a brief cameo that makes sense.

Cynicus

Augur
With all the excitement about the team and Warren's interview, some people might miss this:

And stay tuned for an upcoming announcement regarding the game engine that Otherside Entertainment will be using to create the world of System Shock 3 and other titles.

Sounds like Not Unity.

My guess would be Unreal Engine 4.

Latro

Arcane
Why would Hacker/Soldier even be involved? They should be dead/old or the very first people Shodan decides to off. And why explain her motivations? Does an insane AI who wants to create her own race...need more backstory?

The story will also delve into the history of Edward Diego, a key character in the first game who persuades the player to hack into Shodan.
Why? He's a corrupt suit. Pure 1994 cyberpunk, what exposition does he need?

Only benefit of a doubt I'll give them is Sheldon Pacotti. But...there's no reason to go back and add all this crap to pre-existing characters.

grimace

Arcane
Just realized Polygon fucked up - it's Rebecca Siddons. I knew that didn't sound right.

Did Spector or Campbell misremember?

Rebecca Sutton or Rebecca Siddons?

Thomas Suarez was a crewmember on the UNN Rickenbacker and was later transferred to the Von Braun.

During the course of the mission before the Von Braun would reach Tau Ceti V, Suarez asked Captain William Diego to be reassign to the Von Braun so that he could be with his fiancée Rebecca Siddons. The timing could not be better as once the Von Braun reached Tau Ceti V, the two would work together escape the Von Braun.
http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Suarez

Colin Campbell
  • joined Feb 28, 2013
  • last login Aug 30, 2016
  • posts 1666
  • comments 92
I'm a games journalist, living in Santa Cruz, CA. I recently wrote and published a novel about the game industry called Piranha Frenzy.

Twitter: @ColinCampbellx

Ethics Disclosure:

I write for Polygon as senior reporter. Previous outlets have included Edge, Official Xbox Magazine, Official PlayStation Magazine; Next Generation, IGN, Gamasutra, Games Business, MCV, Amiga Power and Commodore Format. I am the author of a novel about the game industry, called Piranha Frenzy.
http://www.polygon.com/users/Colin Campbell

About the Author

Colin Campbell is a video game journalist based in Santa Cruz, CA. He has worked for multiple games magazines and websites, serving as a writer, editor and publisher.

He is the recipient of the 2011 Games Media Legend Award and the 2012 Good Games Writer of the Year. Colin currently works as a senior reporter for Polygon.

http://piranhafrenzy.com/about-the-author/

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Currently, there isn't one major and popular view of the future like years ago, be it cyberpunk, "soviet futurism", etc. Just some generic sci-fi crap.
This just indicate that society doesn't have image of future, which mean that this society doesn't head to future, but rather being lead to future like a sheep.

Another thing that alerted me was "In the first two games her plan was to destroy humanity because, with the removal of her ethical constraints by the hacker in the first game, she's going insane. But we never explained why she wants to destroy humanity. So we're going to be exploring the idea of a super intelligence and what would motivate a super intelligent AI".
I mean maybe he forget how simple people talk, but who gives a fuck about Shodan motives?
Like if they sat 20 years ago and thought - well, we need to explore motives of AI, let's make a game about that.
I'm sure they were like - let's make a good game with cool new mechanics and concepts, because old feels like a piss in a mouth.
Game became widely famous (in narrow circles) because there were brlliant level design, story, scene setting, and every other elements (except movement controls maybe). Shodan came into play next, later.
So I'm a little alerted.

PS And I actually don't know what to explore here. Shodan is AI without soul and moral of any kind, only pure logic.
It is hostile to any life by default, and there is really nothing more to say about it.

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
Was Cyberpunk really that much more popular back then? New Blade Runner movie is coming and CDP are making that big cyberpunk game, new Deus Ex to certain extent too. I don't really see what exactly would be more relevant without going into generic sci-fi territory and that would be pure decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom