Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 GOG and Steam Release

Azazel

Arbiter
I would feel sympathetic, but this is SYSTEM FUCKING SHOCK 2. I don't care about anything because it is on GOG.
So if someone were to upload your videos to a site and claim to be Matt, and make money off of the work you did without giving credit, you'd be cool with it? Good to know for future reference. :smug:
The real question is what kind of idiot will PAY money to watch something that is available for free.

The same people willing to pay $10 to have a mod installed for them, apparently.

Lancehead

Liturgist
He played it, I believe. He cites the game as the game design exemplar or something like that.

Lancehead

Liturgist
What is the most influential yet obscure game you have ever played and why do you find it so important in your gaming history?
Well, in terms of influential yet obscure, that cuts a lot of games out – I feel a lot of the more common games have had a big influence on my designs (Portal, Chronotrigger, Ultima Underworld). If I were to name some “obscure” ones, I’d probably say System Shock 2 is the top of the list (it’s basically a design doc for how to make a great game), Amnesia: The Dark Descent for introducing a challenge mechanism that could simultaneously terrify you, Bastion’s narration mechanics, and Wasteland for proving to me how you could use game mechanics in the context of a “conventional” RPG to make some truly brilliant levels if you took a step back and thought outside the box.
http://obsoletegamer.com/we-interview-chris-avellone-from-obsidian-entertainment-part-2/

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would feel sympathetic, but this is SYSTEM FUCKING SHOCK 2. I don't care about anything because it is on GOG.
So if someone were to upload your videos to a site and claim to be Matt, and make money off of the work you did without giving credit, you'd be cool with it? Good to know for future reference. :smug:
I'm not Matt so you can upload my non existing videos whenever you can. :)

Repressed Homosexual
I'm not Matt so you can upload my non existing videos whenever you can. :)

But you're his husband, Jakab_Cukor.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's funny to see GOG trying to back-peddle. They have taken mods and cracks a ton of times and never said a word about it, why the sudden fake "whoops" over it?

Just say "nothing you do is copyrighted and we took it," I assumed that was their attitude all along.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And did the original modder said anything yet? Did he accused of GOG "stealing" his work? Because if not, it just shows that he doesn't care. But of course the white knights came out of the wood and started to defend him, nomatter if he asked for it or not. I hate this. Just like when the whiteknights start to defend women in videogames. Because games are so sexist hurr durr.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And did the original modder said anything yet? Did he accused of GOG "stealing" his work? Because if not, it just shows that he doesn't care. But of course the white knights came out of the wood and started to defend him, nomatter if he asked for it or not. I hate this. Just like when the whiteknights start to defend women in videogames. Because games are so sexist hurr durr.

Yes, Kolya did.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
And did the original modder said anything yet? Did he accused of GOG "stealing" his work? Because if not, it just shows that he doesn't care.

Or it shows that he hasn't noticed it yet, or didn't have time to yet, or has contacted the GoG team in private. This isn't Skyrim. It's real life. There's a lot more at play here than just 'if he hasn't responded yet it shows he doesn't care.'

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Yes, Kolya did.
Oh OK. I haven't followed the news, what did he say?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yes, Kolya did.

341eaf6430a66bdbb592b52d101bdf0026bb2dbb.png

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140849&page=4&p=2166666#post2166666

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Two days after release, SS2 is GOG's 65th best selling game of all time, out of 513.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just goes to show CD Projekt is as full of shit as any other company -- people really need to stop defending them.

BobtheTree

Savant
They've made missteps, for sure. Their marketing stunts tend to be misguided and occasionally troll their loyal fans hard, misleading them into false expectations. But as an actual service, I'll take no DRM over I can't play my Steam games because my internet went out for 4 hours.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I can understand them not giving credit to 2.4 creator(s) considering that said creator(s) are apparently incorporeal (and they may not have known there was a 2.4 until after release, based on their story), but not asking modders who are prolific and active in their communities if they can use their mods is just... I dunno, that's sketchy. This plus some of the "oopses" lately like leaving DRM and bugs in Neverwinter Nights 2 until the community pointed it out shows maybe they are getting lazy - not surprising considering GOG must have had to expand quite a bit over the last few years.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Did GOG specifically package it with the tool, or is that the way it came to them from the Publisher?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Yes, Kolya did.

341eaf6430a66bdbb592b52d101bdf0026bb2dbb.png

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140849&page=4&p=2166666#post2166666
Hm, I understand the guy, and he is right. I hope GOG will come to its senses and tries to make less failures like this. They have the community's good will, they should care about it more. And crediting one guy in the description is not a big work.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Did GOG specifically package it with the tool, or is that the way it came to them from the Publisher?
It was integrated when they got it from Night Dive, they knew a bunch of community fixes was in there though, just not exactly which.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I can't give you a source, but I've heard him say it straight from his pretty lil' mouf. In person.

Did that result into peragus?

Probably was some inspiration there. I don't want to derail into Star Wars, but suffice to say we were limited by our teen rating in many cases. For example, we had to remove the blood from the ground for the murder on Nar Shada.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Clearly humanity has not risen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom