Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 GOG and Steam Release

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Including a fan patch that modifies the exe is probably a violation of the DMCA.

This really has no bearing on anything other than me marveling at the stupidity of this law.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You are accusing them for methods and end effect that works delusional similar like some fan patch which in fact is not necessary to be, unless they will state otherwise.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But GOG is the hero that lets you pay people for games they didn't develop, and saves you the immense trouble of following installation intructions in a readme file.

Kirtai

Augur
I expect the legality of NewDark is causing trouble, though they should have credited SS2Tool.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
System Fucking Shock 2 is on GOG and it works great out of the box. WHO THE FUCK CARES IF THEY DIDN'T ADD CREDIT TO SOME MODDER'S PATCH?!

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Including a fan patch that modifies the exe is probably a violation of the DMCA.

This really has no bearing on anything other than me marveling at the stupidity of this law.

I remember similar discussion going on here about how GOG is all unethical about using DosBox. Then it turned out they have its creators' blessings. Even DosBox website links now to GOG. That's why I have a feeling they struck some deal with the creators of the patch.

Sheogorath is on to you, Infinitron:

It's nice to outright state you're trolling so people can ignore your comments from the start. You seem to be clueless about the actual issue discussed here.
Well, it would be nice if you say also, that you are trolling, like you said on RPGCodex:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ng-to-gog-and-steam.80479/page-7#post-2497784

edit:

Hehe, no, that's just Infinitron's weird sense of humour. I don't own an account on RPGCodex. I guess he mistook my comment on SMA stating that I opened a thread abnout this issue with him being the origin of that suggestion. You can compare the time stamps however and see that this thread is older than Infinitron's post on SMA. :)

Besides, even if this thread was instigated by an angry 4chan mob, this does not change anything about the present situation or the factual evidence.

:avatard:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I remember similar discussion going on here about how GOG is all unethical about using DosBox. Then it turned out they have its creators' blessings. Even DosBox website links now to GOG. That's why I have a feeling they struck some deal with the creators of the patch.
They could have all the blessings they want from the patch creators. It's still bypassing digital encryption. I don't think it's unethical at all to include a fan patch, but I think it might be illegal.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

They could have all the blessings they want from the patch creators. It's still bypassing digital encryption. I don't think it's unethical at all to include a fan patch, but I think it might be illegal.

AFAIK first the owner must file DMCA against the offender. So, who is going to sue them?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
System Fucking Shock 2 is on GOG and it works great out of the box. WHO THE FUCK CARES IF THEY DIDN'T ADD CREDIT TO SOME MODDER'S PATCH?!

The modder I guess

I would feel sympathetic, but this is SYSTEM FUCKING SHOCK 2. I don't care about anything because it is on GOG.

It's still a dick move if they indeed took the mod and didn't credit anyone, as hyped as you might be.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

If you're talking about newdark, they can't 'struck a deal with them' unless the current rightholder of SS2 says 'ok'; because the patch was (apparently) compiled and worked on directly because of a source code leak of the dark engine (no game data) from the code that was promised a year or two ago, but was held up because the right situation was all fucked up. I remember downloading the primordial code leak even (it was a near release state, but didn't compile out of the box IIRC).

However, they can include the patch for the GoG release if (again) the rightholder says 'ok', regardless of hurt feelings (and the coders would have to be tremendously stupid to announce themselves, opening to various unpleasant litigations as consequence; so they just have to take it).

Enjoy the Berne convention suckers

Kirtai

Augur
To sell games they also need the blessings of the current rights holders who happen to be the people with the right to allow modifications to the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The modder I guess

I would feel sympathetic, but this is SYSTEM FUCKING SHOCK 2. I don't care about anything because it is on GOG.

It's still a dick move if they indeed took the mod and didn't credit anyone, as hyped as you might be.
Oh I don't doubt that it is a dick move. It is. And they should credit the guy. But the most important thing is that they have the game.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
GOG marketing guy said:
Howdy all;

I'm TheEnigmaticT, A.K.A. the head marketingbot at GOG; we've heard the comments from you guys here and, after investigating, wanted to get back to you with a reply. Apologies it took so long, but what with some of the involved people being in Poland and some being on the West Coast of the US, there's a long time lag in getting answers.

1. About the patches from this community that are in use in our build of System Shock 2: Whenever we receive a build from a publisher / developer on GOG.com, that's the build that we have to use. Night Dive provided us with a build for us to use when we signed the game with them, and it worked pretty well out of the box. Armed only with the knowledge that it contained some "community fixes" for the game, we made a few changes on our own and then, after testing, found it was as stable as any 13 year old game is likely to be. Absent the knowledge of what those fixes were, we couldn't really request permission / get acknowledgement for the fixes from the community here.

Many of you guys here know us; we have worked with some of you before on a paid basis to develop patches and fixes for games that we sell,. We're not bad guys and we're sorry about the fact that we've upset you all and caused this uproar. We're open to suggestions from this community on how we can address your concerns about the community-created content in the build in a manner that's fair to all parties. It's worth noting that any changes that we want to make to a build have to go back through the approval process with the publisher (Night Dive) again, however, so anything that we decide to do together will take time to go into effect.

You guy seem particularly angry about the wording that Guillaume used in the interview he gave with RPS (There are some user-made mods out there which do phenomenal work on the game’s stability, but none of them were quite perfect, so we took the game to our expert techninjas to analyse and swat the remaining bugs). I think this may be a case where you're focusing on the negative excessively here. Guillaume explicitly acknowledges that you guys have "done phenomenal work on the game's stability" (it's a direct quote!); that said, our build engineers did make a few changes that, in our tests, improved things enough where we decided that they were worth committing to our version of the GOG.com installer for System Shock 2.

Again, I'd like to apologize if you guys interpreted this as a slight. It wasn't intended as such.

So what can GOG.com and TTLG do together to help make you guys happier about this release? I've got a few suggestions, and I'm willing to hear yours as well.

1. Giving credit for the community-made mods in the build notes is certainly possible, although problematic for everyone because as I understand it, patch 2.4 was developed by someone whose real name is unknown and who appears to somehow have had access to the source code. For the rest of the content, we're happy to move forward with including some kind of acknowledgement for you guys.

2. Including a reference to the the community contributions on the gamecard + a stickied thread in the GOG.com community subforum for System Shock 2, giving credit and telling people to come check you guys out and systemshock.org out..

Also, possibly:

3. Generate a new build that does not rely on SSTool. This is a little tricky for us, as it will require that we both retest the whole game again once we've made our build and also resubmit the build to Night Dive, since it will not be the one that they gave us. I'll admit that it's probably not our preference--SSTool works quite well, from what the build team has told me--but if you guys would prefer that we don't do that because you feel it's stealing from you, we understand it and we'll try to work with you all on this issue. Do keep in mind that if we decide that this is a path to take, it will take some time to accomplish. Remastering, retesting, and reapproving are, none of them, things that happen overnight or even in a week's time.

That's all I can think of to help address all the concerns you guys have. What are your thoughts?

Note: I'll be in a meeting for the next, like, four hours, (and my account at TTLG is in the queue awaiting mod approval :P) but I'll check back in as soon I'm done with it.
Found over at TTLG

Edit: Aw shit, already posted.
20tr0g0.png

spekkio

Arcane
So: GoG claims that they just went with what these "Night Dave" guys provided. Which was actually content from leaked Dark Engine source.
Kudos to these guys for raping anon modders in the ass. Too bad it backfired.

In before Square asks them to remove SS2 or at least upload clean 2.3 version.

:smug:

tl;dr

Our potato lords are innocent here, evil jews did this.

spekkio

Arcane
Also: Demod Infinitron for creating drama outside the 'Dex. Or award him for it. Whichever will be more punishing.

:rpgcodex:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So if someone were to upload your videos to a site and claim to be Matt, and make money off of the work you did without giving credit, you'd be cool with it? Good to know for future reference. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom