Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Joyvankek

Learned
So far I enjoy it.
Your hits both melee and ranged lack impact, but other than this it's bearable.
You can even RP as janitor, collecting garbage for garbage pay.
It's clear they wanted to be as close to the original as possible. Which is pain in the ass sometimes. But hey, I'll pick this instead of 90% of modern games anyway.
Other than quality of life improvements of modern gaming, everything else went to shit.
Both gameplay wise to technical side of games.
100 gb+ games with no optimization to speak of.
Though I will reserve my final judgement of this game, after I'll finish it.
I heard it's "fun" on mid levels, since you hardly get any medical supply, and the nearest medical station is 7 levels down.
That one maybe a pain in the ass.

Trithne

Erudite
People are asking for the first door code? Retards.
Unlike the OG, where the code was written on the wall, in this one you need to enter a locked room via a maintenance hatch on the other side from the door, pick up a small data chit, and read that chit to get it. It's a great idiot filter.

Joyvankek

Learned
Holy fuck. I got that by just exploring.
Maybe they can't fucking read.
If that's the case, then good luck with progression.
I wonder how long it will take them. To figure out camera and sec system.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
plothole.jpg

Holy shit they actually bothered to fix the biggest plot hole with System Shock 2 with one little audio log. :salute: Wormholes to the rescue!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So for the people playing this: Is the level design still authentic?
Iirc the original did a good job of making the outer walls of each level line up to a plausible outline of citadel station as seen from outside, and having little internal wasted space.

So for the people playing this: Is the level design still authentic?
Iirc the original did a good job of making the outer walls of each level line up to a plausible outline of citadel station as seen from outside, and having little internal wasted space.
Have only played the demo but they copied the original layout almost room for room, so I assume this is still the case.

Gerrard

Arcane
So I'm watching some footage of the game, why is every wall made up of some panels, screens, pipes, or some other shit? Why is there no walls that are just a fucking wall? The environment looks so "busy". Is it just me?
I think everyone agrees that everything is busy. I guess it kind of makes sense that its supposed to be a super packed station where every foot of space is utilized for something? The station is definitely supposed to feel cramped and claustrophobic.
Another thing is, the wall sections that repeat are so small that it makes the thing feel procedurally generated. Or like tile based blobber.

The full download is 3GB, and the installation size is barely 8GB+.
That's probably why.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
NDS' incompetence continues.

Many people reporting that the EGS store just straight up won't redeem their keys.

Half the text doesn't show up if you play in a non-latin alphabet.

The lighting engine is fucked if you set shadows lower than high, and for me on Linux the lighting is just fucked in general, but I can attribute that to just slapping it into generic wine and saying go. Also the promised linux native version hasn't materialised.

Cloud saves don't work.

Many reports of crashes and the game locking up on boot. It asks for network access and lists the publisher as Epic Games.

They messed up some of the collector's edition rewards for backers.
I don't know man, the Rune edition seems to be working flawlessly.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game crashed with a fatal error when I blew up the CPU nodes. The voice acting is hideous. The game is agonizingly slow paced. It's impossible to find important items without combing every inch of the room. The rewire puzzles make no sense. There's too much fucking bloom. The soundtrack is horrible. Garbage collection is the most exciting part of the remake.

It sucks.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I think it's pretty enjoyable from the 2h I've played so far. Looking forward to seeing what they've done with the other levels because I never played more than 10 mins or so of the demo.

Putting items in a recycler is fucking annoying though... am I being special or do they keep "missing" unless you're perfectly aligned with the fucker?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Unlike the OG, where the code was written on the wall, in this one you need to enter a locked room via a maintenance hatch on the other side from the door, pick up a small data chit, and read that chit to get it. It's a great idiot filter.
In the original game the code was written in a log/email. In order to read the email you need to get and install the data reader that it inside a carring case. In this way you cannot exit the medica and enter the proper game without the data reader and other essential tools. If you get the code from internet you are screwed.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Played through medical.
Pretty solid so far. Haven't had any problems.
The level design was slightly updated but generally in a positive way. Some smaller areas were woven into the intuitive player route which effectively means less branching out and backtracking.
Some issues from the demo remain. I hear people don't like melee much. It could probably use more "oomph" but I mostly rely on the energy weapon at the moment so I haven't really taken much note of that.
My main gripe with the demo was the long first person animations, which were obviously kept. That's probably more of an issue if you rely on melee though, since you will be munching a lot of those berserk consumables.
It could maybe also become a problem on the higher difficulty levels (I started on the default difficulty and I barely used any healing items). Having played the original, difficulty level 3 is probably the way to go.

I feel kinda ambivalent towards the recycler system. I get that they are trying to give all that junk that populates the level some meaning, but there is this little value game going on: Basically, you can vaporize stuff for about half its credit value in scraps. Alternatively, you can sacrifice a lot of inventory space and run to the next recycler to get an item's full credit value. That feels kinda annoying so I already made my peace with vaporizing everything. But now I have to go through everything in the inventory and vaporize stuff individually. This problem could perhaps be reduced if there was some shortcut to vaporize the item you are currently hovering your mouse over (maybe there is, I haven't looked into that yet). One way or the other I feel like this will turn into dull busywork and I might just ignore the whole feature in the end. It's optional but I got some good gear with the credits, so who knows whether it is necessary later on.

Anyway, I am at the beginning of Research now. I'm pretty excited about how the other areas have turned out. Especially since a lot of testing must have gone into Medical. I wonder if it's representative of the rest of the game. If so: Good.

Edit:
Oh yeah, by the way: Cyborg assassins use proximity mines, but half of the time they'll blow themselves up with those, which is pretty amusing.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's pretty good, though I think I may have bricked my first run by starting on max mission difficulty (along with max everything else). I've run through 4.5hrs of the 10 hour timer and I haven't even started jettisoning the groves yet, at this rate I'd be surprised if I made it to SHODAN's floor. :mad: My last run of SS1EE according to the in-game time on the end screen was only 4 hours total. Garbage collecting autism really inflates the amount of time you spend playing, and I don't really feel like you can afford to ignore it on max difficulty because you need the resources for the healing patches (among other things). The combat is actually pretty challenging on the highest difficulty, the "boss fight" (it has a two second cutscene before it starts!) with the Cortex Reaver took me a few tries. Cyberspace segments are ok, they're basically like the original but with a bit more depth and it isn't an eye-straining exercise trying to figure out what's going on through all the wireframes.

Most annoying bug I've found so far is that if you play above the default FOV, every time you aim/zoom with a weapon it will reset your FOV to the default after you finish aiming/zooming, forcing you to go into the menu to put it back up (in my case I play at 120 fov).

Last edited:

TwoEdge

Scholar
This attitude of "this game is too retro" boggles my mind, there's no rocket science to be had here. The levels are concise, loot is easily identifiable (and you get an implant that highlights it in the minimap), the map is very readable, the security rating is a clear indicator of level completion, you are incentivized to loot even junk items (to exchange for currency) which tidies exploration, and the audio logs and emails give an almost obvious indication of your objectives. If someone can't follow this, I'd seriously suspect cognitive issues. The complaint about backtracking also confounds me, this is a small game, comparatively. You can be anywhere within a few minutes (probably less if they kept the skate implant). This is what I'd call sound game design, a little friction, so the player can puzzle out what to do and feel rewarded, but not enough so anyone with a couple of brain cells would not get stuck. Anything more than this is outright handholding, at which point the game might as well be playing itself. Why would anyone complain about this?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom