Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wait this game has a fail timer? You're shitting me...
Uh... yeah, just like in the OG game.
Okay so can I turn it off or do I need to get a refund? I don't play games that have that garbage. I play at MY pace.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay so can I turn it off or do I need to get a refund? I don't play games that have that garbage. I play at MY pace.
the ten hour time limit only applies if you play it on the highest difficulty setting. you don't have to worry about it on easy or medium

Trithne

Erudite
the ten hour time limit only applies if you play it on the highest difficulty setting. you don't have to worry about it on easy or medium
Story 3, specifically. You can put the others to 3 for a "hard difficulty, but no time limit" option.

Also wow they increased it. In the OG it was 7. In the backer beta it was 5, which I worked out was doable, in part because they made time not pass in cspace. Guess they upped it to ten because PEOPLE KEEP FUCKING AROUND WITH RECYCLERS.

RatTower the recycler has an inventory. If youre going to use it, just open it and place the items you want it to eat in there.

Trithne

Erudite
You can be anywhere within a few minutes (probably less if they kept the skate implant).
They got rid of the skate implant?

:majordecline:

They did not. Skate/hover/jumpjet are still in.

Sensurround was turned into minimap radar, and envirosuit v3 was cut. All the other implants are in.

Is SHODAN final battle still a big flying cybernetic carrot shooting things at you?

In the backer beta it was fucking trash, no idea if they actually fixed it. It was basically just wave defence on three different platforms and you couldn't die. Had no sound and wasn't even proper cyberspace.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ha the controls are already fucking me up. I've only been playing my Switch the past few weeks and the "select" and "back" buttons are exact opposite for the Deck. Beyond that the game seems to work fine on Steam Deck. I don't have much else to say atm.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I was watching a gameplay video where someone was vaporizing all the items, there absolutely needs to be a button to automatically vaporize all the junk items, looks like such a pain in the ass to do it manually. Or even an option to vaporize automatically as you pick stuff up. Oh and a button to feed everything to the recycler too without drag and drop since you'll be doing that a lot.

Some audio logs are way too long and overly dramatized, the speaker takes long pauses and takes forever to say a few simple sentences. Also I think they went a little too overboard with some of the glitchiness when SHODAN talks.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
I don't suppose the VA of SHODAN is the same as in SS2, right? Even though, they made a damn good job recreating the voice, it's almost identical.

Last edited:

SlamDunk

Arcane

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I messed around with it for about an hour. I say Steam Deck is probably not the way to play this game. Text is very small and hard to read, some button prompts are impossible to make out. I've basically been hitting random buttons in menus and shit to figure out what does what. Controls seem horribly unintuitive. Inventory management might be the worst I have ever seen. Like somebody said above there needs to be auto vaporize button. Combat feels like ass. Yeah pretty much a giant shit sandwich all around but nothing I can't adapt to and learn to like. I grew up with oldschool horror games after all. I might wait until I finish Zelda before diving into this. This is something that will require my full undivided attention.

Trithne

Erudite
I was watching a gameplay video where someone was vaporizing all the items, there absolutely needs to be a button to automatically vaporize all the junk items, looks like such a pain in the ass to do it manually. Or even an option to vaporize automatically as you pick stuff up. Oh and a button to feed everything to the recycler too without drag and drop since you'll be doing that a lot.

Some audio logs are way too long and overly dramatized, the speaker takes long pauses and takes forever to say a few simple sentences. Also I think they went a little too overboard with some of the glitchiness when SHODAN talks.
This is going to fuck with so many people. Everyone's a fucking packrat now and thinks they need the tokens. They're next to fucking worthless, but the way the recycler works encourages degenerate minmaxing play. In that regard it's surprisingly retro for something they added.

You get enough credits without playing citadel janitor to afford the weapon upgrades, which are the only things worth buying (and can be found without having to buy them anyway)

kangaxx

Arbiter

This is going to fuck with so many people. Everyone's a fucking packrat now and thinks they need the tokens. They're next to fucking worthless, but the way the recycler works encourages degenerate minmaxing play. In that regard it's surprisingly retro for something they added.

You get enough credits without playing citadel janitor to afford the weapon upgrades, which are the only things worth buying (and can be found without having to buy them anyway)
I agree, it's a pointless distraction. I caught myself falling for it and stopped.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I report something between few and none hating threads at the Steam forums. Some concerns about the technical issues, some feature-lacking feedback, and stuff, but generally little literal hate. Impossibru.

ADL

Prophet
I'm really enjoying everything about this. Despite the development hell issues this game had, I think it's fair to say this is the team I want making System Shock 3. Hopefully Tencent partners up with Nightdive before they start working on another major project. Preferably in the remake's aesthetic.

Trithne

Erudite
What is scrap used for? And what's the difference between it and credits?
Wasting your fucking time.

Put it in a recycler. 10 scrap = 1 Tri-Credit.

Tri-Credits can be spent to buy ammo and weapon upgrades at kiosks around the station. And food/drinks from vending machines.

You can also put "damaged" weapons into the recyclers, but unless they made the damn thing bigger this is only the minipistols and sparqs, not the assault rifles that assassins drop.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So far I'm having fun.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the lesbian Amsterdam brothel lighting and art style, I hate the retarded semi-transparent UI (if I ever seize power the first thing I'll do is ban semi-transparent UIs under pain of death) and I don't like the newfangled recycling mechanics either.

But so far I'm having fun.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
If this sells well (which I doubt but I can hope, right?) perhaps in ten years we can have a Terra Nova remake. Maybe there is an untapped market of zoomers that yearn for brain training that requires inductive reasoning in the form of a video game.
The main obstacle on the way of this going out anywhere outside of core audience of people who remember/like original is the price imo. And once it goes on sale it will already be too late.
It's currently on the "top selling" list on Steam and while I don't know objectively what that means, I hope it results in enough visibility and sales that the team considers it successful. By all accounts, it seems like a positive outcome and I will certainly buy it at some stage.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is agonizingly slow paced.
My main gripe with the demo was the long first person animations,
Some audio logs are way too long and overly dramatized, the speaker takes long pauses and takes forever to say a few simple sentences.
It's tragicomical how ADHD/impatient people are these days.

Object fondlers like you should be put on a cross. Do you molest your coffee mugs and grope your light switches?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom